Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: So confused...

So confused...

Hi guys

I am trying to get my paperwork together for the application of our fiancee visa and I have hit a hurdle...provisionally booking our wedding date! We have friends that have done this with no hassle at all, but my local register office in Leeds seem to think this is not possible and will not entertain me on the subject.

This is the first reply I received from them when I asked about provisionally booking our wedding date...

Your fiancée will apply for a fiancée visa, which usually enables her to come over here to the UK, give notice with you at a designated office like Leeds. She would need to be present in this country and at one address for the period of 9 days. On the 9th day a notice would be given. A marriage can legally take place 16 days later.

I told them I didn't fully understand this and asked again if I could come the office and book our wedding date, to which they replied....

If you ring our contact centre on 0113 222 4408, and provisionally book a date for your ceremony, there will be a fee of £25 payable. The contact centre will then request a system letter to be sent out to you to confirm that a provisional date has been set for your ceremony. The letter will also sate a date that you have to give your notice by.

I thought great!!!! I can finally go and book it, but then 5 minutes after that reply I received another email from them from a different person who said....

Hello Drew - unfortunately the Registration Service is instructed by the Registrar General not to issue any documents to enable persons from abroad to obtain a visa to enter the country for the purpose of marriage. Please find attached a letter confirming this information which you, in turn can present to the Home Office/Consular Office.

So confusing!! If anybody can shed some light on this I would be very grateful, Thank you.

Drew.
    Attached Images Attached Images

sounds like it would be less hastle to get married in phil and get spouse visa instead

they dont make things easy do they, just pile stress on you

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewturner View Post
    Your fiancée will apply for a fiancée visa, which usually enables her to come over here to the UK, give notice with you at a designated office like Leeds. She would need to be present in this country and at one address for the period of 9 days. On the 9th day a notice would be given. A marriage can legally take place 16 days later.
    That same email was the one we submitted along with our documents when I applied for a fiancee visa. We used that as proof that we are intending to get married. You don't need any documents from them (I think) because that email clearly stated that we can't book our wedding unless I'm already in the UK for 8 days. I don't know what kind of document you want from them.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    sounds like it would be less hastle to get married in phil and get spouse visa instead

they dont make things easy do they, just pile stress on you
    That is becoming more and more appealing to me Imagine, I am now reading about getting married in the Phils!

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    That same email was the one we submitted along with our documents when I applied for a fiancee visa. We used that as proof that we are intending to get married. You don't need any documents from them (I think) because that email clearly stated that we can't book our wedding unless I'm already in the UK for 8 days. I don't know what kind of document you want from them.
    Hi Raynaputi,

As far as i'm aware I need to submit a document that will show our wedding has been provisionally booked, some of our friends did the same and they were sent a conformation letter which is what they used as evidence. That is interesting that you didn't submit one of those...

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewturner View Post
    Hi Raynaputi,

As far as i'm aware I need to submit a document that will show our wedding has been provisionally booked, some of our friends did the same and they were sent a conformation letter which is what they used as evidence. That is interesting that you didn't submit one of those...
    Where does it states in the UKBA requirement that you need to provisionally booked your wedding? It only states that you need to show "evidence that you intend to marry or register your civil partnership within a reasonable time (usually 6 months)", and that includes that first email you got from the registry office. It shows that you are inquiring about getting married in the UK. It clearly states in the email that you can't book your wedding until the 9th day of your fiancee here in the UK. Other evidence of your intention to marry is to show them a photo and receipt of the engagement ring, inquiries and/or booking or cake, place of reception, and other wedding stuffs. Include all those in your documents and application. Search here in the forum on what others did to show evidence of intention to get married. Getting your wedding provisionally booked is not a requirement and you won't be able to that anyway unless your fiancee is already here in the UK for 9 days.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Where does it states in the UKBA requirement that you need to provisionally booked your wedding? It only states that you need to show "evidence that you intend to marry or register your civil partnership within a reasonable time (usually 6 months)", and that includes that first email you got from the registry office. It shows that you are inquiring about getting married in the UK. It clearly states in the email that you can't book your wedding until the 9th day of your fiancee here in the UK. Other evidence of your intention to marry is to show them a photo and receipt of the engagement ring, inquiries and/or booking or cake, place of reception, and other wedding stuffs. Include all those in your documents and application. Search here in the forum on what others did to show evidence of intention to get married. Getting your wedding provisionally booked is not a requirement and you won't be able to that anyway unless your fiancee is already here in the UK for 9 days.
    Thank you very much for the info

Not sure why our friends were able to get written confirmation of their wedding date when that is not allowed but they did

I will print off the emails and use them as evidence...thank you

Thread Information