Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar

English Language Requirement

Hi guys my wife is due to take her Ielts exam on May 25 2013 for her work here in the UK in nursing as required by the nursing and midwifery council level 7

I was just wondering as this certificate has a 2 year validity can she use this for her FLR which she has to apply for before 15 June 2015 because thats when her current visa expires, for example as long as she puts in her application within that 2 year limit will that be ok cheers guys...

Mark,
    Correct me If i get this wrong but I believe your wife should have been given an Entry Clearance for spouse with a total validity of 33 months.
    This nominally gives an extra 3 months in order to complete the needed 30 months living here in UK

As it stands right now now, the FLR(M) application should be made shortly before the end of the 30 month residence.
    UKBA suggest 28 days advance (about a month)

Just when her IELTS certificate would expire isn't yet known. If you can squeeze and juggle the two together fine, but if not she'll need to take another English Language Test in order to comply
    When did your wife actually land here in UK? That would be the start for counting 29 months (30months -1), it's looking quite tight.

The 2 year living in UK as spouse qualifying period is only applicable under the 'old rules'

Thanks Peter once again for your much appreciated input, my wife landed in the UK on 15 December 2012 hence the date 15 June 2015 which is 30 months validity so she would put in for FLR no earlier than 18 May 2015 is that correct?

Also Peter what I meant by within the 2 year limit was that if my wife put in for FLR before the Ielts expiry date (lets say Ielts expires 25 May and she applies for FLR 18 May) would that be ok?

Quote Originally Posted by marksroomspain View Post
    Thanks Peter once again for your much appreciated input, my wife landed in the UK on 15 December 2012 hence the date 15 June 2015 which is 30 months validity so she would put in for FLR no earlier than 18 May 2015 is that correct?

Also Peter what I meant by within the 2 year limit was that if my wife put in for FLR before the Ielts expiry date (lets say Ielts expires 25 May and she applies for FLR 18 May) would that be ok?
    UKBA say that if you send your application form and application fee by post, the date of application is the date of posting. It's decided by the postmark. If the postmark is illegible or missing, the date of postage is taken as being at least 1 day before it is received by UKBA.

If you send your application form and application fee by courier, the date of application is the date when it is delivered to the UKBA payment handling service.

Applying in person at PEO obviously means the application date is the date when you attend and make payment.

I have no experience of likely outcomes if the application is received more than 28 days in advance. Your guess is as good as mine. Probably a day or two is OK. I just don't know 100% sure. I never think it's worth a risk to go against UKBA procedures as no-one knows quite what to do.

Mark, if the FLR(M) application is made on May 15 (Friday) or May 18 (Monday) that would be fine.
    If the IELTS certificate is valid at that date of application then it's already compliant and good. So yes, Mark that's perfectly OK.

Good luck to your wife for her upcoming test

Thanks Peter.

Thread Information