Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member South-east boy's Avatar

Exclamation Signs That May Help Identify a Dating Scam

Found this online and thought I'd post it here as it might help some people who are using dating sites and chatting with people to notice if anything suspect is or has been going on:

The signs discussed below are derived from examination of a number of dating scam attempts. Not every sign will apply in every case. Of course, the presence of these signs in an online relationship is not - by itself - proof that the person wooing you online is a scammer. Nor does the absence of such signs mean that you should throw caution to the wind. Nevertheless, these signs should be taken as warning flags, especially if more than one is present. While the below list discusses specific gender targeting tactics often used by dating scammers, very similar tactics are also used by scammers targeting gay victims.

1.) Consistently poor spelling or grammar indicates that the language they are using may be the person's second language even though they claim to be a born and bred resident of your country.

2.) Too good to be true looking photograph. For men, the picture will be of a very attractive woman who often appears to be considerably younger than the male and looks like a model. For women, the photograph will depict a handsome and obviously fit male who also looks like a model.

3.) Scammers posing as women will often claim that they are hard-working but in a lower paying profession. Scammers posing as males will often profess to be independently wealthy, the owners of a lucrative business, or in an occupation such as the military.

4.) Male scammers often claim to be widowers with one or more young children to look after. They may claim that their partner died after a tragic accident or illness leaving them unexpectedly as single fathers.

5.) The scammers will often claim to be a resident of the country you are in but currently working overseas or out of town for an extended period. They will claim that they really want to come and see you but cannot for various reasons, often stating that they do not currently have the money for the airline tickets.

6.) The scammers will very quickly begin to profess their unconditional love for you. Soon after you "meet" online, they will ask to bypass the dating site's internal messaging system and initiate direct contact with you. They will try to convince you to give them your phone numbers, Skype contact name, and personal email address. They will say that they want to communicate with their "soul mate" in more personal and intimate ways and therefore wish to move away from the dating site's communication system. They may ask for your home address, ostensibly so that they can send you "gifts of love" such as teddy bears, flowers or chocolates.

7.) The person will often tell you that they have never told anyone else before as much about their life as they have shared with you. They are skilled at asking you to reveal intimate and personal details you may not have shared before with many people, thus appearing to offer support and intimacy. Scammers posing as females may send intimate or explicit photographs or videos quite quickly after the relationship begins.

8.) The person may spend days, weeks or months building up an apparently close emotional relationship with you before they first ask for money. But even after a lengthy period, any requests for money should be considered a red flag

9.) The person may request a small amount of money first, inventing some seemingly plausible reason for needing this small "loan".

10.) If you comply and send the smaller sum, you may subsequently receive "urgent" news from the person describing a sudden crisis or emergency that requires you to send a considerably more substantial amount of money. This often takes the form of a medical emergency involving them or their supposed child or some manner of banking or legal crisis that is "temporarily" stopping them from accessing the large sums of money they claim to have in the bank. Often, they will give you very little time (perhaps only an hour or so) to get the money to them but will promise to very quickly pay back every cent they "borrow".

11.) The scammer may send you money in the form of cheques or money orders and ask you to deposit it in your bank account.. Or they may ask to transfer money directly to your account from another source. They may instruct you to keep a certain percentage for yourself - perhaps as a repayment for a previous loan - and electronically wire the remainder of the funds to another person. This is a scheme designed to launder the proceeds of criminal activity. Any requests to process money via your own bank accounts should be taken as a warning sign.

Of course if you are unsure of anything or have a situation that isn't mentioned above, then please post it here and we'll try and help with good advice.

Thanks Tim
    good info , everything is covered cant add anymore.
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Good post Tim! But can you please post the link where you got this??
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Respected Member South-east boy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Good post Tim! But can you please post the link where you got this??
    Here you go:
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...Cf3vBFh-2nmHHw

Here's another one from the site about internet dating (they have lots of info about all different kinds of scams):

There are a great many quite legitimate dating service websites that allow members to establish online relationships. Often, these online friendships blossom into genuine long-term relationships. An increasing number of people have found life-partners via relationships started online.

Sadly however, scammers have managed to effectively exploit this trend to further their own nefarious ends. Many people around the world have been duped into sending money to Internet fraudsters posing as would-be girlfriends or boyfriends.

A typical Internet dating scam goes like this:

1.) A person registers at an online dating service and creates a profile. The profile will include information, and possibly a photograph, of the person along with a way for interested people to make contact.

2.) In due course, a scammer contacts the person posing as someone interested in exploring a possible romantic relationship.

3.) The victim responds and the pair begins corresponding regularly. They may soon bypass the dating service contact system and start communicating directly, usually via email.

4.) Over time, the scammer will slowly earn the trust of the victim. He or she may discuss family, jobs and other details designed to make the correspondent seem like a real person who is genuinely interested in the victim. Photographs may be exchanged. However, the "person" that the victim thinks he or she is corresponding with, is likely to be purely an invention of the scammer. Photographs may not even show the real sender. The victim's apparent love interest may look completely different to the person in the photograph and, in reality, may not even be the same gender.

5.) After the scammer has established the illusion of a genuine and meaningful relationship, he or she will begin asking the victim for money. For example. the scammer may claim that he or she wants to meet in person and ask the victim to send money for an airfare so that a meeting can take place. Or the scammer may claim that there has been a family medical emergency and request financial assistance. The scammer may use a variety of excuses to entice the victim to send funds.

6.) If the victim complies and sends money, he or she will probably receive further such requests. With his or her judgement clouded by a burgeoning love for the scammer's imaginary character, he or she may continue to send money.

7.) Finally, the victim will come to realize that he or she has been duped, perhaps after waiting fruitlessly at the airport for a "lover" who, will, of course, never arrive.

8.) Meanwhile, the scammer pockets the money and moves on to the next victim. In fact, the scammer may be stringing along several victims simultaneously.

In many cases, the victim will not only have lost out financially, but will also be left broken-hearted and thoroughly disillusioned. These scammers tend to prey on victims that may be especially lonely, shy or isolated and therefore more vulnerable.

There are a number of variations on the same basic scam. In some cases the scammers may be the one to create a profile on a dating site and wait for a potential victim to contact them. Typically, the profile will include a photograph of a very attractive young woman who will have no trouble attracting would-be suitors.

In other cases, the scammers may simply send out random unsolicited emails professing a desire to begin a relationship in the hope that some gullible recipients will favourably respond. Alternatively, they may strike up a conversation with a potential victim via an Internet chat room.

In some variations of the scam, the fraudsters may not ask for money directly. Instead, they may ask their victim to cash money orders or cheques and wire them the proceeds. The money orders or cheques will turn out to be fake or stolen and the victim will be left out of pocket and possibly held responsible for receiving stolen funds. The scammers may also try to trick victims into revealing sensitive information such as credit card numbers.

If you begin corresponding with a person with a view to a possible romantic relationship, remain cautious even if the relationship seems to be progressing very well. These scammers are very skilled at building trust and know how to make vulnerable victims fall in love with them. Regardless of the strength of your feelings towards a correspondent, you should view any requests for money as highly suspicious. Internet dating scammers often used the same names, family details and cover stories in multiple dating scams. Therefore, you may be able to expose a scam by conducting Internet searches on the names used by the scammers or key phrases from their emails.

The last time I was on a dating site some months ago I decided to cease contact with anyone who displayed any sort of negativity. I met one girl who I began speaking to on Skype/Webcam after a few days, and the first time I saw her on cam she had a 'tampo face' which wasn't a good start. I still had a few conversations with her over the next week but she kept moaning about her job as a nanny. "I'm so bloody tired!" was a common sentence she would come out with. In the end boredom set in and my last message to her was "I'm so bloody tired!".

I never got a response back - until yesterday.

"Hi‏
    U there‏
    Sorry long time we not talk‏
    Especially now‏
    I lost my mom‏
    She passed away last Jan. 26‏
    2 days after her birthday‏
    Do u still wanna talk to me?"

Nope. Heard those sob stories before!

I sat in an internet cafe yesterday. Next to me was a Thai girl (with tattoos ) chatting to a Western guy. He was lying on his bed, she was telling him how much she loved him, etc, etc, etc.

After around 20 minutes - and lots of "love you" from both sides - she logged off and went back to work in the 'girly bar' across the street.

Once saw a girl in Pinas, with multiple windows on her PC open, chatting to several guys at one time. Her fingers must have worn out PDQ!

Collect and select as they say in Pinas.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Thanks for advice

Quote Originally Posted by aaydogdu79 View Post
    thanks for advice
    How is your search going? Any luck?

Banned
    I wonder how SEB is doing he used to be on here a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    I wonder how SEB is doing he used to be on here a lot
    Whose SEB? South-East Boy?

I found with the scammers online they would talk to you for a short while, then set up some kind of sob story which required some kind of financial help.

One girl talked about how she had just had her laptop stolen, another needed medicine for her sick mother. Another had a new job but couldnt buy her uniform and promised to pay back when she had her first pay check.

They didn't bother trying to spend time getting to know you.

As many people have said on here before. Never send money to someone you have never even met for real.

Never send money full stop. That's my advice. Once that rule has been broken........

Another scam is online dating agencies who sucker guys in by displaying profiles of beautiful foreign women and then charging these unsuspecting individuals for each email they send to her. Furthermore, the emails don't actually reach the lady in question. Instead, the correspondence is solely handled by a "dating agency" employee.

Romance tours overseas can be another unscrupulous operation. I've heard of guys shelling out several thousand to blindly meet a woman abroad and this doesn't even include flights. I actually saw a video on You Tube of one particular romance tour and the women involved (about 10 to choose from ) were mostly average looking.

None of the above were Philippines related though. Tends to happen in countries like the Ukraine.

Trusted Member
    It can be a 'business' for many young ladies/ladyboys. Sometimes you have to look more closely at the family photos...and one of those 'brothers' might be somebody else.

Lots and lots of homosexual Filipinos trawl the dating sites making fake profiles,its a national pastime also there are women who do it for cash even though they are still married and with their husbands approval My nephews girlfriends airhead sister does it all the time,she is 17 tarts herself up with loads of makeup,puts on that absolutely ridiculous pout (which makes her look constipated)and chats with as many guys as she can,she often gets western union remittances from guys old enough to know better

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Any Pinay who dresses provocatively or pouts like a slut in her photo should be instantly overlooked. Some guys just don't see the warning signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Lots and lots of homosexual Filipinos trawl the dating sites making fake profiles,its a national pastime also there are women who do it for cash even though they are still married and with their husbands approval My nephews girlfriends airhead sister does it all the time,she is 17 tarts herself up with loads of makeup,puts on that absolutely ridiculous pout (which makes her look constipated)and chats with as many guys as she can,she often gets western union remittances from guys old enough to know better
    Yes it takes all sorts to make the world go around.
    When I first found out that there was in my eyes beautiful young girls who would want to talk to a middle age bloke who could be their dad and even grandad and could be ugly looking too, I was hooked.

It does take a little time to realize that your willy was running your brain at first, but hopefully you wake up and think that could be my grand daughter or daughter and how would I feel?
    Then you start to look for the person that you may want to be with and you use your eyes and talking and talking and more talking to the same one I must add, and if its all meant to be it can work out.

Just my own thoughts on my experiences.

Some guys just don't see the warning signs.
    Can you remember looking in the sweet shop window at all that candy when you were a kid? Well some people never ever grow up and are still looking at that sweet shop.

Trusted Member
    Fortunately I have neither daughters nor granddaughters... so no guilt trip.

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    Can you remember looking in the sweet shop window at all that candy when you were a kid? Well some people never ever grow up and are still looking at that sweet shop.
    Been in this overseas dating game for seven years now and it can lead to a hazardous journey if ones doesn't use their head.

Thread Information