Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

travelling around europe with less than 6 months valid passport

is it alright to go out of UK with less that 6 months valid passport? Lets say will travel end of july and passport valid till november 2013. I'll be applying for british citizenship soon so renewing my passport will be a waste of time and money. thanks

Respected Member melovesengland's Avatar
    As far as I know it is alright to travel as long as the passport is valid but you might as well wait for your british passport before you travel Europe. You will have free of worries then unless the trip is urgent.

Quote Originally Posted by malditako View Post
    is it alright to go out of UK with less that 6 months valid passport? Lets say will travel end of july and passport valid till november 2013. I'll be applying for british citizenship soon so renewing my passport will be a waste of time and money. thanks
    The answer is Yes and No (but maybe)

1. Yes, if you have a Residence Card with 'Family member of EEA national' written on it. In which case you only need a valid passport. You don't need any visa to travel within the EU providing you're travelling with together your EU partner.

2. No. (but maybe)
    In ALL other cases a visa is required. Usually a Schenghen Visa

To secure a Schenghen Visa your passport must have validity of more than 3 months beyond the return date of the proposed trip.
    Your passport must also have a full blank visa page for the visa and a full blank visa page for the stamp of border control authorities.

Hope that helps.

Respected Member
    If your travelling by air, your biggest problem will be the airlines. They often enforce the rules more stringently then the actual countries, because they are the ones responsible and receive the fines if the immigration rejects and deports you. I've had issues with airlines over all sorts of things where 'Computer Says NO', no matter how I explain that actually this or that is acceptable.

Thread Information