Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

SC Stops Controversial RH Bill

The battle for the Reproductive Health Law is apparently not over, with the Supreme Court bucking the new measure's rollout and calling for debates.

The high court on Monday issued a status quo ante order to suspend the implementation of the RH Law for 120 days, reports quoted SC spokesperson Theodore Te as saying.

Justices voted 10-5 in favor of the stop order, with Chief Justice Ma. Lourdes Sereno among those dissenting.

Oral arguments on the RH bill are set to heard June 18.

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/sc-stops-co...065809268.html

The suspension means that it will not be implemented until after the election.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Trusted Member
    How unfortunate that this is the ONE bill which would have been welcome ( if not by everyone ). It had been intended to fully take effect in law on Easter Sunday, March 31. Now the
    Supreme Court of the Philippines has temporarily restrained its implementation for 120 days on a 10-5 vote, “ pending oral arguments “ to take place in June.

The Roman Catholic hierarchy vigorously opposed the bill, despite a majority of “ ordinary “ members of the Church supporting public access to reproductive health services including contraceptives, and sex education for youth. It was finally approved by Congress at the end of last year – after a decade of debates.

The new law – if finally implemented – would still criminalise abortion; allow schools to opt out of sex education on religious grounds ; and limit free access to contraception to those on a government database identified as “ poor “ ( possibly 5 million households ).

In the Philippines at least a third of births are “ unplanned “ ; teen pregnancy is far too common ; possibly half a million abortions are performed in “ back alley clinics “; an estimated 11 women die every day from preventable complications arising from pregnancy and childbirth ; the population growth rate is relatively high at 2% ; and the doctor-to-population ratio is worsening – a social disaster.

The topic has been well covered in several threads over the past year ( with links to articles ).

Perhaps the lack of response to this latest news – so far – reflects resignation and disbelief, that once again the law has been delayed. ONE maternal death is a tragedy - ELEVEN a day is a disaster, whatever the opponents to this law may say .

Respected Member
    This is a terrible decision. The Supreme Court and Catholic Church should be ashamed of themselves. Absolutely ridiculous.

The only positive is i will be able to watch Miriam Defensor attack the Supreme Courts decision. Go Miriam!

The problem is after the elections the supreme court 'could' send the bill back to the senate and then the house of representatives. New politicians with different ideas could easily veto the bill.

Fingers crossed it does not happen.

Trusted Member
    This is a serious issue.

During the delay in implementation of the RH Act for 120 days, up to 1,800 ( 11 -15 / day ) women may have died from preventable complications arising from pregnancy and childbirth. Maternal mortality rate is about 20 times higher in the Philippines compared to UK, and it’s not coming down. Between a third and a half ( estimates vary ) of Philippine pregnancies are unintended.

Over two weeks ago Filipinos elected a new Congress and local governments. Ahead of polling day, opposing groups publicly endorsed candidates who were for or against the Reproductive Health Act.

The “ Purple Ribbon for RH Movement “ was led by former Health Secretary Esperanza Cabral. The “ White Vote Movement “ led by the Catholic group El Shaddai opposed the Act. Both “ Purple “ and “ White Vote “ claimed successes, but there appeared to be more voters FOR than against the RHA ( http://www.plcpd.com/media-release/m...erm-elections/
    ).

It’s regrettable that politics and the Catholic Church play such a role in keeping health of mums and kids on hold.

There are MANY aspects of improving their health, already listed in my now closed thread ( http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....ippines-and-UK ).

The RHA would help a fall in pregnancy-related deaths by promoting access to contraception ; skilled attendance at birth ; and good emergency obstetric care. It would help more Filipinos have access to sexual and reproductive health care, information and services. Good maternal health benefits children. They do better in terms of their future health, education, and labour market outcomes.

These are medical facts. The World Health Organization strongly supports the RHA and is ready to defend it before the Supreme Court.

I am no politician, hold no strong religious beliefs, and respect others. I do hope the Court hearing in June WILL decide the Philippines can move towards implementing comprehensive reproductive health services.

We must ALL surely hope that June 18 will bring good news. This would help the Aquino Government’s aims to improve Filipino health. These already include increasing the Department of Health budget, access to health care and enrolment in Phil-Health ( or other ) insurance.

Of course the RHA itself won’t be a cure. It WOULD, in my opinion, be a step in the right direction .

http://www.gov.ph/2012/12/21/republic-act-no-10354/

Trusted Member
    Reproductive Health Act timeline :-

The Supreme Court of the Philippines “ showdown “ was further postponed until today ( 9 July ).

The government claims to be confident that the RH law ( formally known as Republic Act 10354 ) will stand legal questions by petitioners, who are first to present their arguments before the high court.

Polls have indicated over 70% of the population – including the President, doctors, business leaders, and various women’s groups - support the RH law. However, the Catholic bishops have warned that it will lead to divorce, legalisation of abortion, euthanasia and same-sex marriage.

I hope that there will be no further obstacles to implementation of this law – but that’s just my opinion as an outsider.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/rhbill

Thanks for reminding me Alan.

I am sure there will be many obstacles over the next few weeks/months and dare i say it..... years

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post

I am sure there will be many obstacles over the next few weeks/months and dare I say it..... years
    Seems like you're correct, Jake - more delaying tactics already .

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story...sues-in-rh-law

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Seems like you're correct, Jake - more delaying tactics already .

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story...sues-in-rh-law

It said on the news the case was to be adjourned until July 23rd as there are so many petitioners.

Here are some of the Anti RH Bill arguments. Should we laugh or cry!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kmSIkIEato...nicreasons.jpg

Thread Information