Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Banned

A Labour policy I agree with

Labour is calling on councils to rename streets after members of the armed forces who have been killed on duty.

The party says it would be a "lasting personal memorial" to personnel who have lost their lives in Afghanistan and elsewhere.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21530095

If i lose my life doing my job, will they rename a street after me?

Quote Originally Posted by lordna View Post
    Depends what you do and who you do it for. You'll probably have a procession of Romanian Big Issue sellers come and pay their respects
    So long as the Soldiers families are happy with it I think it's a good idea

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lordna View Post
    If your job pays £18000 per year serving the country and you were laying your life on the line every day then I think a street should be named after you if you were unfortunately killed.

Banned

Respected Member
    I'll be controversial, but I seriously think the obsession with turning everyone in the armed forces into a hero is ridiculous.
    Nobody is forced to join the armed forces, nobody is forced to go away and fight a war in a far flung country. They choose to sign up and accept all that comes with it. They fight a cause which the government they choose to serve believes is correct.
    I'd have no hesitation signing up for a cause I believe in, but I wouldn't expect credit for it.

However, those that have served in the military should have a pension and after service lifestyle equal or superior to civil servants. It is unfair when you see the guys just left to rot after leaving active service.

Well I suppose I am bias but I agree too. To be honest me and my daughter have had this discussion. She is coming up to 4 years in the army now and in line for promotion but just like any other job she gets down sometimes and asks what my thoughts would be if she came out of the army. I told her there is nothing out here for her and that if she did manage to get a job she would struggle with the cost of living now. She has mentioned how the government is changing the pension scheme. I told her as I have with both my girls to get out of the cesspit of a country. Go to canada or australia if they want a decent life. Oh and by the way the army are asking for volunteer redundancies. They will get £21,000 pay off. Wow.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Well I suppose I am bias but I agree too. To be honest me and my daughter have had this discussion. She is coming up to 4 years in the army now and in line for promotion but just like any other job she gets down sometimes and asks what my thoughts would be if she came out of the army. I told her there is nothing out here for her and that if she did manage to get a job she would struggle with the cost of living now. She has mentioned how the government is changing the pension scheme. I told her as I have with both my girls to get out of the cesspit of a country. Go to canada or australia if they want a decent life. Oh and by the way the army are asking for volunteer redundancies. They will get £21,000 pay off. Wow.
    The pen pushers averaged £30k pay off - sickening

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...t-by-cuts.html

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    I'll be controversial, but I seriously think the obsession with turning everyone in the armed forces into a hero is ridiculous.
    Nobody is forced to join the armed forces, nobody is forced to go away and fight a war in a far flung country. They choose to sign up and accept all that comes with it. They fight a cause which the government they choose to serve believes is correct.
    I'd have no hesitation signing up for a cause I believe in, but I wouldn't expect credit for it.

However, those that have served in the military should have a pension and after service lifestyle equal or superior to civil servants. It is unfair when you see the guys just left to rot after leaving active service.
    I don't think Afghanistan is a straight forward war. The enemy isn't a conventional army but a bunch of cowards relying on booby traps and hiding in huts and mosques behind women and children. Furthermore our troops are fighting with one hand tied behind theirs backs alongside friendly renegade "police" and "army" who are likely to shoot them.

Our forces at the sharp end are heroes. I agree with you Ricky about how veterans are shat upon compared with faceless bureaucrats

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    I don't think Afghanistan is a straight forward war. The enemy isn't a conventional army but a bunch of cowards relying on booby traps and hiding in huts and mosques behind women and children. Furthermore our troops are fighting with one hand tied behind theirs backs alongside friendly renegade "police" and "army" who are likely to shoot them.

Our forces at the sharp end are heroes. I agree with you Ricky about how veterans are shat upon compared with faceless bureaucrats

Respected Member
    Interestingly Andy, Australia is recruiting British skilled military personnel for their own military with relocation packages.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post

I agree, hence my comment about naming a street after me if i die doing my job!...but also agree about the pension.

I don't think the point was about turning everybody in the armed forces into a hero, though I must confess that they all have my admiration for their bravery.
    The original post was about naming streets after members of the armed forces who have been killed whilst on active duty.
    Now I've spent 50 years in South London split between Lambeth and Merton and trust me I've seen some roads and buildings named after some strange folk from far flung places of the world.
    I think if a man/woman loses their life whilst in military service for this country it would be a fitting tribute to have a road or building named after them.
    I'm quite sure that Marcus Garvey, Bob Marley, Olive Morris, Nelson Mandela, Steve Biko and many others strike a chord with a lot of people but they wouldn't be my choice of names.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    I'm quite sure that Marcus Garvey, Bob Marley, Olive Morris, Nelson Mandela, Steve Biko and many others strike a chord with a lot of people but they wouldn't be my choice of names.
    I agree Marco - we have a few round here named after former self serving Councillors. Still could be worse, if some had their way we'd be driving down Roma Road which runs off Big Issue Avenue

Thread Information