Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Deed poll: changing my last name to husband's surname

Is it just me or is the Philippine embassy - London website extremely useless? So frustrating!

Pardon the mini rant. Anyway, Do I need to get a deed poll to change my last name to my husband's surname and make my middle name as my maiden name (as per Filipino tradition)?

I need to renew my Philippine passport soon.

Thank you in advance!

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    You just need to bring your marriage certificate (along with other documents needed) when you renew your passport. No need for a deed poll.

http://philembassy-uk.org/consular-matters/passport
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    You just need to bring your marriage certificate (along with other documents needed) when you renew your passport. No need for a deed poll.

http://philembassy-uk.org/consular-matters/passport
    You're a star! Thank you!

hi,one of my friend just applied for a new passport in london last week and change her last name to her husbands name, and she needed her CFO certificate, marriage certificate,etc..
    will update tomorrow what are the documents she submitted ok. regards
    Marlyn & Kenny forever

Quote Originally Posted by marlyn&kenny View Post
    hi,one of my friend just applied for a new passport in london last week and change her last name to her husbands name, and she needed her CFO certificate, marriage certificate,etc..
    will update tomorrow what are the documents she submitted ok. regards
    Thanks, Marlyn ... like Rayna, I certainly wouldn't have thought it necessary to resort to deed poll.

Btw ... it's nice to see you posting here again!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Thanks, Marlyn ... like Rayna, I certainly wouldn't have thought it necessary to resort to deed poll.

Btw ... it's nice to see you posting here again!
    hi sir, find some time hehehe .. missed forum! Yes last year when i had my passport renewed , i was gonna change my family name to my husband's BUT when I booked ticket that time, I used my maiden name so was not able to change my maiden name to my married name, and they told me before that we need to show them that CFO sticker i think?i forgot what they call the sticker they put on my passport before leaving the country lol! sorry my memory is terrible,will post here again tomorrow for the latest requirements base on my friend's experience xxxx
    Marlyn & Kenny forever

ooopppps sorry just realised she asked this 6 days ago so might be too late now lol
    Marlyn & Kenny forever

We opened a bank investment account in my name the other day..Everything was fine until it was spotted that my middle name was not the same as my mothers maiden name.
    They asked me to change it and I had to refuse 3 times over a one month period before threatening to cancel the account and getting my money back.. I also pointed out that the ID I provided was a Philippine driving licence with my proper names on it..
    Why are bankers so dumb?

hi again, as promised. i have spoke to my friend and, YES, you just need to show your old passport with your CFO sticker on it, marriage certificate, you and your hubby's birth certificate,photos that's it! Good luck, guess you were able to sort it now!
    Marlyn & Kenny forever

Quote Originally Posted by marlyn&kenny View Post
    hi again, as promised. i have spoke to my friend and, YES, you just need to show your old passport with your CFO sticker on it, marriage certificate, you and your hubby's birth certificate,photos that's it! Good luck, guess you were able to sort it now!
    How about if you have no CFO sticker?

Respected Member vernier caliper's Avatar
    Presenting CFO sticker is a MUST if you are a partner of foreign national. That is the requirement of DFA.

Quote Originally Posted by vernier caliper View Post
    Presenting CFO sticker is a MUST if you are a partner of foreign national. That is the requirement of DFA.
    I'm referring to the comment that there is a requirement to show the CFO sticker when renewing your passport or changing to your married name at the Philippine Embassy in London.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    How about if you have no CFO sticker?
    I think it's impossible for anyone married to a foreigner to not have a CFO sticker as it's needed before they leave Philippines.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

I think it's impossible for anyone married to a foreigner to not have a CFO sticker as it's needed before they leave Philippines.
    Yes, I agree IF you are leaving the Philippines CFO sticker is a requirement.

I question the validity of CFO as a requirement for passport renewal or when changing the name in the passport to your married name.

BTW, my wife does not have CFO sticker, many of our friends also do not have CFO sticker.

We attended more that 6 Filipina weddings during the past 12 months where there also will be no CFO sticker.

So how come the Philippine Embassy in London requires one in order to change to a married name?
    Or is it not a requirement.?

From the Philippine Embassy London website:-

Additional requirements for married women who wish to use surname of spouse in their passports

(Note: The Embassy will no longer process applications for amendment of name in a machine readable passport. Applicants are required to renew the passport instead)
    •If married in the Philippines, the original and a photocopy of the marriage certificate (authenticated by the National Statistics Office). A copy of husband’s valid passport or birth certificate.
    •If marriage was performed outside the Philippines, (a) the original and four (4) copies of the Marriage Certificate, (b) four (4) duly accomplished Report of Marriage forms (which are available at the Embassy and at the Embassy website), (c) four (4) passport size photos of husband and wife, taken within the last 6 months, (d) four (4) photocopies of the passports of the husband and wife. The Report of Marriage fee is £18. If the marriage had been solemnized for more than a year prior to the filing of Report of Marriage, there is an additional fee of £18 for late registration.
    •If marriage was performed outside the United Kingdom, please submit the original and four (4) photocopies of the marriage certificate duly authenticated by the Embassy of the country where marriage was celebrated.
    •In case of death of husband, applicant must provide the original and four (4) copies of the death certificate of the late husband.
    •In case of divorce or annulment, applicant must provide four (4) photocopies of the divorce or annulment papers. Please note that the applicant may have her name changed to that of her second spouse only if the petitioner of the divorce of the previous marriage is the foreign spouse.

I think they are doing that now, probably because it is a requirement now in the Philippines (CFO certificate for Filipinos who want to renew or get passport and use the name of their foreigner spouse).. that's what I'm thinking..
    -=rayna.keith=-

I think they are doing that now, probably because it is a requirement now in the Philippines (CFO certificate for Filipinos who want to renew or get passport and use the name of their foreigner spouse).. that's what I'm thinking..
    I don't believe it's a requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    I don't believe it's a requirement.

It is now in the Philippines. A member posted it here about that. http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....to-a-foreigner and
    http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....as-the-seminar
    -=rayna.keith=-

The British Embassy in London does not.

I'll pull out of this thread.

From DFA Philippines website http://www.dfa.gov.ph/index.php/cons...sport/passport

For spouse of foreign national:

- Marriage Contract (MC) in Security Paper (SECPA) issued by the National Statistics Office (NSO) or Certified True Copy (CTC) of MC issued by the Local Civil Registrar (LCR) and duly authenticated by NSO. Transcribed Marriage Contract from the LCR is required when entries in NSO Marriage Contract are blurred or unreadable.
    - Report of Marriage duly authenticated by NSO if married abroad
    - Original and photocopy of Commission of Filipino Overseas (CFO) Guidance and Counseling Certificate of Attendance (required for first time applicants or renewal of passport to be used for the first time the surname of the husband)

Probably Philippine Embassy in London is following this rule now
    -=rayna.keith=-

Thread Information