Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    I dont think there is much difference between pipe tobacco and cigarettes. Lets face it all governments cane the working man. Smoking has been around for years. I agree it has health risks but how do you explain to someone who has never smoked the enjoyment you get from it. Its a drug at the end of the day and as ARTHUR has stated it helps concentration and keeps you focussed.
    Yes, it is exactly that.

So if it is a big problem why dont all our brilliant scientists find a cure for it?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Yes ..but unfortunately they plague the internet.

Arthur..Glad you are still able to enjoy a smoke in your own home but Im certain that there are busy body dogooder nurse maids somewhere right now plotting to remove even that simple pleasure from you...
    They are busy gathering statistics and lies to use against you in the near future as we speak. For your own good..Of course!!
    If by the expression "do gooder" you mean protecting the unborn and children then so be it. Guilty as charged.

Banned
    So if it is a big problem why dont all our brilliant scientists find a cure for it?
    Good question. Maybe they will one day. Hopefully they will.

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    If by the expression "do gooder" you mean protecting the unborn and children then so be it. Guilty as charged.
    What are you talking about now?

No Lastlid there is too much money to be made out of it in tax. Thats the reason.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    What are you talking about now?
    Protecting those that have no choice but to inhale someone else's smoke.

Hmm we're getting a bit high and mighty here Lid. I can understand having just had a baby you wish to protect the little one and yet by your own admission you had 2 children with a woman who smoked like a chimney.......What was the difference

Banned
    No Lastlid there is too much money to be made out of it in tax. Thats the reason.
    Well, whatever the motives, I hope they do find a solution.

We had a British ex smoker complaining about excessive smoke in my mates bar just the other day... My mate barred him!!
    I love it here.

I agree to the extent that the kid has no choice. My ex smoked when she was having our 2 daughters. Of which you know one is in the army and fitter than most of her age.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    Hmm we're getting a bit high and mighty here Lid. I can understand having just had a baby you wish to protect the little one and yet by your own admission you had 2 children with a woman who smoked like a chimney.......What was the difference
    Not high and mighty. Just aware. Obviously it helps that I don't smoke to have a detached view but I am firmly against smoking and have good reason to be. Thats it.

Difference in the women? One smoked and the other doesn't.

If you have kids that have suffered from smoking related illnesses then it does focus your mind as an anti-smoker.

Banned
    Gents. You puff smoke in each others faces till your hearts content. Be my guest.

Smokers that I know would never smoke in my house as there are kids in the house and its house rules anyway.. They smoke on the exterior balcony with an ice cold beer.
    I dont need legislation to educate and force me to act in a way that is purely common sense...Very irritating.

Trusted Member
    Here is what I said less than a couple of months ago on another thread ( http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....t=PNoy+smoking )
    It attracted little attention at the time. I’m sorry, but as I explained in another thread, with my other commitments I’m unable to reply – or add anything significant - to every new thread on related topics.

• Sin taxes are an unreliable way of reducing consumption or improving public health. They are regressive – taking a proportionally greater amount from those on lower incomes.

• Smokers and heavy drinkers may cost the state more during their shorter than average lives. At least the sin taxes they raise pay for treating the ill health and social costs of their habits. Chronic diseases associated with old age are far more expensive than the lethal diseases associated with smoking and alcohol excess.

• The ( worldwide ) decline in smoking over the past 50 years; and ( UK but not Philippines ) overall alcohol consumption over the past 10 years, is due to factors other than taxation. Britain’s alcohol problems - binge drinking by the young, and daily excessive consumption by middle-class home drinkers - are not curable by minimum pricing.

• Governments like sin taxes. The main purpose is to raise revenue – by forcing people who are least likely to live to old age to pay for the escalating costs of an ageing population. A means-tested health tax, hypothecated ( ring-fenced ) for improving health, would be more honest.

• Sin taxes are counterproductive. They discourage serious and honest attempts to improve health, and encourage the black market. They are also cynically applied to some – but not all - “ unhealthy sins “.

• The implicit assumption in the Philippines Sin Tax Bill is that the population will continue at the same rate of smoking, guaranteeing revenue … until their premature deaths. That’s immoral, unethical and defeatist ! Will they genuinely be pleased if fewer people smoke and the sin tax revenue declines ?

• I’m also in favour of freedom of choice and don’t judge people on their chosen lifestyles, but I do encourage healthy living. The way forward ? - HEALTH PROMOTION, SCREENING, and INSURANCE .

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Here is what I said less than a couple of months ago on another thread ( http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....t=PNoy+smoking )
    It attracted little attention at the time. I’m sorry, but as I explained in another thread, with my other commitments I’m unable to reply – or add anything significant - to every new thread on related topics.

• Sin taxes are an unreliable way of reducing consumption or improving public health. They are regressive – taking a proportionally greater amount from those on lower incomes.

• Smokers and heavy drinkers may cost the state more during their shorter than average lives. At least the sin taxes they raise pay for treating the ill health and social costs of their habits. Chronic diseases associated with old age are far more expensive than the lethal diseases associated with smoking and alcohol excess.

• The ( worldwide ) decline in smoking over the past 50 years; and ( UK but not Philippines ) overall alcohol consumption over the past 10 years, is due to factors other than taxation. Britain’s alcohol problems - binge drinking by the young, and daily excessive consumption by middle-class home drinkers - are not curable by minimum pricing.

• Governments like sin taxes. The main purpose is to raise revenue – by forcing people who are least likely to live to old age to pay for the escalating costs of an ageing population. A means-tested health tax, hypothecated ( ring-fenced ) for improving health, would be more honest.

• Sin taxes are counterproductive. They discourage serious and honest attempts to improve health, and encourage the black market. They are also cynically applied to some – but not all - “ unhealthy sins “.

• The implicit assumption in the Philippines Sin Tax Bill is that the population will continue at the same rate of smoking, guaranteeing revenue … until their premature deaths. That’s immoral, unethical and defeatist ! Will they genuinely be pleased if fewer people smoke and the sin tax revenue declines ?

• I’m also in favour of freedom of choice and don’t judge people on their chosen lifestyles, but I do encourage healthy living. The way forward ? - HEALTH PROMOTION, SCREENING, and INSURANCE .

Good post again Doc Alan!!
    I have no real problem with this sin tax as I believe that as long as the Politicians are kept from diverting the proceeds to Switzerland, the extra funding will go into the seriously underfunded Philhealth system.. (along with funding for other important social programs) Ive watched the new administration very carefully over the last 6 months and I am generally impressed.. Hopefully they mean what they say in regards the proceeds from this new tax.. 40 Billion PHP will hopefully go a long way and do an awful lot of good..
    Lets see.
    Fred.

This appears to be a pro smokers thread. You can pat each other on the back as much as you like, it won't change anything.
    I wouldn't go as far as to say that exactly ... the fact remains, most of the respondents to this thread DON'T smoke ... but, regardless, nobody - but NOBODY - appreciates being told by "know-alls" and/or would be "do-gooders" how to conduct their lives. Understandably, it gets up peoples' noses - smokers and non-smokers alike (and more effectively than any plume of smoke is capable of doing - irrespective of HOW logical the argument or well-intentioned the motive(s).

I mean ... ... surely even you MUST realise that by now!

Banned
    Suit yourselves guys. I don't care anymore. Its your lives and health and the folk around you.

Feel free to abuse it in any way you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    I wouldn't go as far as to say that exactly ... the fact remains, most of the respondents to this thread DON'T smoke ... but, regardless, nobody - but NOBODY - appreciates being told by "know-alls" and/or would be "do-gooders" how to conduct their lives. Understandably, it gets up peoples' noses - smokers & non-smokers alike (and more effectively than any plume of smoke is capable of doing - no matter HOW logical the argument or well-intentioned the motive(s).

Well said Arthur.. I couldn't agree more.
    I think they are running out of argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    I wouldn't go as far as to say that exactly ... the fact remains, most of the respondents to this thread DON'T smoke ... but, regardless, nobody - but NOBODY - appreciates being told by "know-alls" and/or would be "do-gooders" how to conduct their lives. Understandably, it gets up peoples' noses - smokers and non-smokers alike (and more effectively than any plume of smoke is capable of doing - irrespective of HOW logical the argument or well-intentioned the motive(s).

Good man Arthur.

Banned
    Smoking.

It constricts the airways of the lungs.

It increases the smoker's heart rate.

It elevates the smoker's blood pressure.

Smoking contributes to heart disease.

And it deprives the tissues of the smoker's body of much-needed oxygen

It increases the risk of stroke by nearly 40% among men and 60% among women.

Smoking is an addiction.

Tobacco smoke contains nicotine, a drug that is addictive and can make it very hard, but not impossible, to quit

Smoking harms not just the smoker, but also family members, coworkers and others who breathe the smoker's cigarette smoke, called secondhand smoke.

Among infants to 18 months of age, secondhand smoke is associated with as many as 300,000 cases of bronchitis and pneumonia each year. Secondhand smoke from a parent's cigarette increases a child's chances for middle ear problems, causes coughing and wheezing, and worsens asthma conditions.

Pregnant women who smoke are more likely to deliver babies whose weights are too low for the baby's good health. If all women quit smoking during pregnancy, about 4,000 new babies would not die each year.

Quitting smoking makes a difference right away - you can taste and smell food better. Your breath smells better.

Smokng Kills - Every year hundreds of thousands of people around the world die from diseases caused by smoking cigarettes.

One in two lifetime smokers will die from their habit. Half of these deaths will occur in middle age.

Tobacco smoke also contributes to a number of cancers.

The mixture of nicotine and carbon monoxide in each cigarette you smoke temporarily increases your heart rate and blood pressure, straining your heart and blood vessels.

This can cause heart attacks and stroke. It slows your blood flow, cutting off oxygen to your feet and hands. Some smokers end up having their limbs amputated.

Tar coats your lungs like soot in a chimney and causes cancer. A 20-a-day smoker breathes in up to a full cup (210 g) of tar in a year.

Changing to low-tar cigarettes does not help because smokers usually take deeper puffs and hold the smoke in for longer, dragging the tar deeper into their lungs.

Carbon monoxide robs your muscles, brain and body tissue of oxygen, making your whole body and especially your heart work harder. Over time, your airways swell up and let less air into your lungs.

Smoking causes disease and is a slow way to die. The strain of smoking effects on the body often causes years of suffering. Emphysema is an illness that slowly rots your lungs. People with emphysema often get bronchitis again and again, and suffer lung and heart failure.

Lung cancer from smoking is caused by the tar in tobacco smoke. Men who smoke are ten times more likely to die from lung cancer than non-smokers.

Heart disease and strokes are also more common among smokers.

Smoking causes fat deposits to narrow and block blood vessels which leads to heart attack.

Smoking causes around one in five deaths from heart disease.

In younger people, three out of four deaths from heart disease are due to smoking.

Cigarette smoking during pregnancy increases the risk of low birth weight, prematurity, spontaneous abortion, and perinatal mortality in humans, which has been referred to as the fetal tobacco syndrome.

As a smoker, you're at risk for cancer of the mouth. Tobacco smoke can also cause gum disease, tooth decay and bad breath. The teeth become unsightly and yellow. Smokers may experience frequent headaches. And lack of oxygen and narrowed blood vessels to the brain can lead to strokes.

Moving down to your chest, smoke passes through the bronchi, or breathing tubes. Hydrogen cyanide and other chemicals in the smoke attack the lining of the bronchi, inflaming them and causing that chronic smoker's cough. Because the bronchi are weakened, you're more likely to get bronchial infections. Mucus secretion in your lungs is impaired, also leading to chronic coughing. Smokers are 10 times as likely to get lung cancer and emphysema as nonsmokers.

The effects of smoking on your heart are devastating. Nicotine raises blood pressure and makes the blood clot more easily. Carbon monoxide robs the blood of oxygen and leads to the development of cholesterol deposits on the artery walls. All of these effects add up to an increased risk of heart attack. In addition, the poor circulation resulting from cholesterol deposits can cause strokes, loss of circulation in fingers and toes and impotence.

The digestive system is also affected. The tars in smoke can trigger cancer of the esophagus and throat.

Smoking causes increased stomach acid secretion, leading to heartburn and ulcers.

Smokers have higher rates of deadly pancreatic cancer. Many of the carcinogens from cigarettes are excreted in the urine where their presence can cause bladder cancer, which is often fatal. High blood pressure from smoking can damage the kidneys.

The toxins that build up in your system contribute to feelings of lethargy. But instantly, after just one cigarette, the body's ability to function decreases, which means erections can be a problem. It also affects libido and general desire, as smoking massively effects the hormonal balance, and testosterone levels are responsible for libido.

To cap it all it is a dirty habit, ruins clothing and decorations. And is an addiction like any other. And like all addictions the addict will always justify their habit even when it affects others.

Not being judgemental. Just stating what is commonly known.

Far be it for me to judge, you be the judge of your own destiny.

Not high and mighty. Just aware. Obviously it helps that I don't smoke to have a detached view but I am firmly against smoking and have good reason to be. Thats it.

Difference in the women? One smoked and the other doesn't.

If you have kids that have suffered from smoking related illnesses then it does focus your mind as an anti-smoker.
    i am glad someone else mentioned this,we all have made mistakes in the past whether its smoking or anything, its what happens now, like i said no one smokes in my house and if my grandkids are here then they are safe from smoke, but once out of my sight its down to their own family or parents, i will do my best for any child, just like many on here would,but if you smoke it does not make you a bad parent, just remember that

remember drink driving, whos walked across a busy main road with there kids in tow and not used the crossing,who feeds there kids with big macs everyday, everyday we put our kids babys and ourselves through danger, you are right lastlid, smoking is bad for you and your children and your clothes and its even worst for kissing too, but some people just cannot give it up, thank god i never started

Smoking.

It constricts the airways of the lungs.

It increases the smoker's heart rate.

It elevates the smoker's blood pressure.

Smoking contributes to heart disease.

And it deprives the tissues of the smoker's body of much-needed oxygen

It increases the risk of stroke by nearly 40% among men and 60% among women.

Smoking is an addiction.

Tobacco smoke contains nicotine, a drug that is addictive and can make it very hard, but not impossible, to quit

Smoking harms not just the smoker, but also family members, coworkers and others who breathe the smoker's cigarette smoke, called secondhand smoke.

Among infants to 18 months of age, secondhand smoke is associated with as many as 300,000 cases of bronchitis and pneumonia each year. Secondhand smoke from a parent's cigarette increases a child's chances for middle ear problems, causes coughing and wheezing, and worsens asthma conditions.

Pregnant women who smoke are more likely to deliver babies whose weights are too low for the baby's good health. If all women quit smoking during pregnancy, about 4,000 new babies would not die each year.

Quitting smoking makes a difference right away - you can taste and smell food better. Your breath smells better.

Smokng Kills - Every year hundreds of thousands of people around the world die from diseases caused by smoking cigarettes.

One in two lifetime smokers will die from their habit. Half of these deaths will occur in middle age.

Tobacco smoke also contributes to a number of cancers.

The mixture of nicotine and carbon monoxide in each cigarette you smoke temporarily increases your heart rate and blood pressure, straining your heart and blood vessels.

This can cause heart attacks and stroke. It slows your blood flow, cutting off oxygen to your feet and hands. Some smokers end up having their limbs amputated.

Tar coats your lungs like soot in a chimney and causes cancer. A 20-a-day smoker breathes in up to a full cup (210 g) of tar in a year.

Changing to low-tar cigarettes does not help because smokers usually take deeper puffs and hold the smoke in for longer, dragging the tar deeper into their lungs.

Carbon monoxide robs your muscles, brain and body tissue of oxygen, making your whole body and especially your heart work harder. Over time, your airways swell up and let less air into your lungs.

Smoking causes disease and is a slow way to die. The strain of smoking effects on the body often causes years of suffering. Emphysema is an illness that slowly rots your lungs. People with emphysema often get bronchitis again and again, and suffer lung and heart failure.

Lung cancer from smoking is caused by the tar in tobacco smoke. Men who smoke are ten times more likely to die from lung cancer than non-smokers.

Heart disease and strokes are also more common among smokers.

Smoking causes fat deposits to narrow and block blood vessels which leads to heart attack.

Smoking causes around one in five deaths from heart disease.

In younger people, three out of four deaths from heart disease are due to smoking.

Cigarette smoking during pregnancy increases the risk of low birth weight, prematurity, spontaneous abortion, and perinatal mortality in humans, which has been referred to as the fetal tobacco syndrome.

As a smoker, you're at risk for cancer of the mouth. Tobacco smoke can also cause gum disease, tooth decay and bad breath. The teeth become unsightly and yellow. Smokers may experience frequent headaches. And lack of oxygen and narrowed blood vessels to the brain can lead to strokes.

Moving down to your chest, smoke passes through the bronchi, or breathing tubes. Hydrogen cyanide and other chemicals in the smoke attack the lining of the bronchi, inflaming them and causing that chronic smoker's cough. Because the bronchi are weakened, you're more likely to get bronchial infections. Mucus secretion in your lungs is impaired, also leading to chronic coughing. Smokers are 10 times as likely to get lung cancer and emphysema as nonsmokers.

The effects of smoking on your heart are devastating. Nicotine raises blood pressure and makes the blood clot more easily. Carbon monoxide robs the blood of oxygen and leads to the development of cholesterol deposits on the artery walls. All of these effects add up to an increased risk of heart attack. In addition, the poor circulation resulting from cholesterol deposits can cause strokes, loss of circulation in fingers and toes and impotence.

The digestive system is also affected. The tars in smoke can trigger cancer of the esophagus and throat.

Smoking causes increased stomach acid secretion, leading to heartburn and ulcers.

Smokers have higher rates of deadly pancreatic cancer. Many of the carcinogens from cigarettes are excreted in the urine where their presence can cause bladder cancer, which is often fatal. High blood pressure from smoking can damage the kidneys.

The toxins that build up in your system contribute to feelings of lethargy. But instantly, after just one cigarette, the body's ability to function decreases, which means erections can be a problem. It also affects libido and general desire, as smoking massively effects the hormonal balance, and testosterone levels are responsible for libido.

To cap it all it is a dirty habit, ruins clothing and decorations. And is an addiction like any other. And like all addictions the addict will always justify their habit even when it affects others.

Not being judgemental. Just stating what is commonly known.

Far be it for me to judge, you be the judge of your own destiny.
    me you've gone from a politician to a school teacher.

I know this is off topic a bit but (and I will probably get slaughtered for saying this) I disagreed with the total ban on smoking in pubs.

i knew a guy who smoked more then 40 fags a day, who died while smoking, he was crossing the road when a number 60 bus hit him, did fags kill him who knows

I know this is off topic a bit but (and I will probably get slaughtered for saying this) I disagreed with the total ban on smoking in pubs.
    if you class a pub as being the outside too, its not banned in derby, most people stand outside the door chuffing so you still have to walk through the stink, i enjoy the no smoking in pubs but it would not stop me going into a pub that ever allowed smoking again

did they ever have smoking rooms in pubs, or was it just the bar and lounge

Banned
    Smoking and impotence
    "For men in their 30s and 40s, smoking increases the risk of erectile dysfunction (ED) by about 50 per cent.
    Did you know?
    The British Medical Association estimates that up to 120,000 men have ED because of smoking.
    Erection can't occur unless blood can flow freely into the penis, so these blood vessels have to be in good condition.
    Smoking can damage the blood vessels and cause them to degenerate: nicotine narrows the arteries that lead to the penis, reducing blood flow and the pressure of blood in the penis.
    This narrowing effect increases over time, so if you haven't got problems now, things could change later.
    Erection problems in smokers may be an early warning signal that cigarettes are already damaging other areas of the body – such as the blood vessels that supply the heart.
    "

Read more: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_ad...#ixzz2EsMwEwfq
    Follow us: @NetDoctor on Twitter | NetDoctorUK on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    if you class a pub as being the outside too, its not banned in derby, most people stand outside the door chuffing so you still have to walk through the stink, i enjoy the no smoking in pubs but it would not stop me going into a pub that ever allowed smoking again
    Most pubs cater for smokers outside Steve but I am going on the social aspect of things too. As you know a lot of pubs have closed now and it was not the price of beer that sent them to the wall. When I was 18 there was nothing more british than going to the pub and a pint and a fag. It was a part of life. What smoker wants to stand outside having a fag in the freezing cold? Thats what closed the pubs down.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information