Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

In desperate need of advise.

could anyone tell me if it is possible for me to apply for fiancee visa here in Hongkong, although i am not a resident and only holding a working visa. Or i have to return to Philippines and do the application?

Pls guys help.

yes i think you can, as long as your are living legally in HongKong.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

oh thanks, that's inspiring

my wife couldnt apply for a fiancée visa in Singapore where she worked legally and had to return to Phil before she could apply, I cant see any reason why Hong Kong would be any different, but im no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by malchard888 View Post
    my wife couldnt apply for a fiancée visa in Singapore where she worked legally and had to return to Phil before she could apply, I cant see any reason why Hong Kong would be any different, but im no expert.
    what reason was given ?

Applying for a UK visa if you have temporary permission to stay

If you have temporary permission to stay (for example, as a visitor) in the country where you are currently living, you cannot apply for most types of UK visa in that country. You can only apply for:

a visitor visa
    a Tier 5 (Temporary worker - creative and sporting) visa
    an EEA family permit

Your application may be referred back to your country of residence, which may cause delays.

To apply for any other type of UK visa, you must apply under the procedure for your country of residence. You can find this procedure by selecting your country of residence in our country finder .

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/co...e=UK%20English
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    what reason was given ?

Applying for a UK visa if you have temporary permission to stay

If you have temporary permission to stay (for example, as a visitor) in the country where you are currently living, you cannot apply for most types of UK visa in that country. You can only apply for:

a visitor visa
    a Tier 5 (Temporary worker - creative and sporting) visa
    an EEA family permit

Your application may be referred back to your country of residence, which may cause delays.

To apply for any other type of UK visa, you must apply under the procedure for your country of residence. You can find this procedure by selecting your country of residence in our country finder .

From memory I checked in the UKBA/British Embassy website in Singapore and found the information there, it was quite specific that fiancée visas could only be applied for in the country of origin of the applicant which caused us undue grief and problems with the additional costs and delay. My wife had to give up her job, fly back to Manila and wait it out for a month till they issued her visa but it was worth it in the end.

well I'm pretty certain you were given the wrong information, as in my previous post, as long as your not a visitor and your legal then you can apply from that country.

Well i think Gem is also a visitor in HKG so why would the rules be different for her, u answered your own question above Joe she has to return to Phil to apply.

Howdy gem? I'm in Hong Kong too.. I think you can apply a fiancee visa here in HK. ... Btw welcome here and nice to meet ya.. Pm me and lets talk ok?? Thanks..

contact the embassy in HK gem and let us know what they say

In principle a visa leading to settlement (eg Fiance(e)/Spouse/Partner) can be applied for in the country you are living in, provided you are legally residing there and not on a short term temporary visa such as visitor.

My wife applied for her UK visa from the British Embassy in Tokyo.

As joe suggests if you are in any doubt about your own personal circumstances and visa conditions then secure confirmation from the British Embassy.

oh, thanks a lot! yes im kind of worried that i have to return to Phils and wait there for too long until visa will be granted. how i wish i could add you in skype and lets talk more.

- - - Updated - - -

will do. thank you!

how long it took your wife to wait till she was granted the visa(processing time)

Quote Originally Posted by gem12 View Post
    how long it took your wife to wait till she was granted the visa(processing time)
    That was some years ago. The whole process is quite different now.
    If you follow this link you'll see the published processing time guide for various visa types.

It shows for a settlement visa that 72% are done within 40 days with 96% within 60 days

Thread Information