Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar

english language requirement

Hi my wife is about to submit her application for a spouse visa she has a 4 year nursing degree taught in english and was awarded a batchelor of science in this does this mean she satisfies the english language test because somebody told me it might not, really confused...

Quote Originally Posted by marksroomspain View Post
    Hi my wife is about to submit her application for a spouse visa she has a 4 year nursing degree taught in english and was awarded a batchelor of science in this does this mean she satisfies the english language test because somebody told me it might not, really confused...
    Mark, there are many postings on this very subject.
    Whereas it's true that under certain very specific ciricumstances it's possible for some to prove exemption from the English Test, I strongly suggest you advise her to just go ahead and take the English Test.
    Firstly she will have no problems in passing this test at the required level, secondly she will have much less hassle and thirdly the overall cost/benfit and investment in time will be significantly less.

Very friendly advice, just have her take the test.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marksroomspain View Post

My wife was in a similar position. But after some further investigation, particularly through UK NARIC, we realised she would have to do the English language test. Daft but true.

I phoned UK NARIC and basically they didn't recognise my wifes degree or University. Which isn't the point really, the point being that she was taught in English for 4 years at a reasonably high level.

If you want to give them a call here's their website:

http://www.ecctis.co.uk/naric/default.aspx

UK NARIC (National Recognition Information Centre)

"UK NARIC is the National Agency responsible for providing information, advice and opinion on vocational, academic and professional skills and qualifications from all over the world. As the National Agency, managed on behalf of the UK Government, under contract to the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS), we provides the only official source of information on international education and training systems and wide-ranging international qualifications and skills attained from outside the UK."

whats the address for the test in cebu anybody ? i better put the g f throught it for unmarried settlement visa apllication

Luddendenfoot, near Todmorden and Slaithwaite
    I agree with Terpe and lastlid... I also thought I will be exempted to take the English Proficiency Test since I have BSED major in English and Literature (not British English but American English ) But getting English Language Assessment from UK NARIC proved to be too complicated and expensive and it would be a gamble doing so coz you wouldn't know if they would recognize the degree (since we have a different educational system in the beloved Philippines)... There are many Accredited English Language Test Provider especially if your wife lives in places within Luzon -- fewer in Visayas -- and as I know, only IELTS in Region XI.

Anyway, I strongly wouldn't recommend UK NARIC (in case you want to try).. I have requested for a Career Path Report and the result says my degree and teaching license is COMPARABLE TO FOUNDATION DEGREE STANDARD...not a DEGREE..
    UKBA,UKBA I am dreading to hear from you...
    UKBA, a BRP for Christmas will do...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jlags90 View Post
    ......I have BSED major in English and Literature (not British English but American English ) ....
    Yes. There should be a conversion course for thos that learned American English, to knock the fawcettes, diapers, sidewalks and elevators out of the system.

I took Pearson Exam in Manila... I got results in 1 day!

I had also a degree in nursing taught in english but it needs to be assess by the UK NARIC as english is not the primary language here in the philippines, so I just took the IELTS academic exam .

Luddendenfoot, near Todmorden and Slaithwaite
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    Yes. There should be a conversion course for thos that learned American English, to knock the fawcettes, diapers, sidewalks and elevators out of the system.
    don't forget the sanitary napkins, and comfort rooms...
    UKBA,UKBA I am dreading to hear from you...
    UKBA, a BRP for Christmas will do...

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    so is it iets or toiec test needed for uk fiance settlement visa? or any them is pearson in manila right place to go?

Quote Originally Posted by mark cassidy View Post
    so is it iets or toiec test needed for uk fiance settlement visa? or any them is pearson in manila right place to go?
    There are many different UKBA approved English Tests and many different testing centre locations.

You really need to review that UKBA list of approved English Language Tests here in order to decide the test centre most convenient and the tests on offer at that centre.

can i ask a question? what if is my score in ielts is R:3.5 W:5.0 L: 4.0 S:4.5 overall is 4.5 they can accept to apply a fiance visa in uk? even i have 3.5 in reading?

Thread Information