Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie (Restricted Access) CATHERINEOFENDA's Avatar

I'm a MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIST here in the PHILIPPINES. HELP PLS.

A pleasant day to everybody here. I'm Cathy and I'm a Medical Technologist here in the Philippines. I want to work in UK as a phlebotomist or a Medical Technologist. Any advice is deeply appreciated. Thank you very very much.

Hi there Cathy, welcome to the forum

Please take some time to review the UKBA webpage by following this link
    I do hope you will take time to review the UKBA webpage and to follow all the links

Sorry to be so direct Cathy but you an face extremely challenging situation workwise. It's highly unlikely that there will be any opportunities in the fields you outline.
    Employers here must first explore every avenue of recruitment within UK and the EU before even thinking about non-EEA possibilities.

Good luck in your quest.
    Maybe some other countries can offer improved work opportunity for you.
    These are tough times everywhere.

As Terpe has stated, it is currently very difficult to obtain work in the UK if you are from outside the UK or Europe.

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details...lt.aspx?Id=252

This link gives a bit more information about your work here in the UK, maybe you could try contacting the organisations listed to see if it is possible for you to try to get work here.

Good luck

thank you very much for your time, terpe. but i really want this. i really dream of this and i know there's always a way. i saw this forum and i was really thankful cause i know i could really learn a lot from this. i want to work in UK. they have an exemplary state in science and medicine. they have good learning institutions. and those are very promising.

i have a former college classmate that's already working there as a phlebotomist. But he used a student visa to enter UK and he just work as a part-time phlebotomist. I was thinking if there's a way for me to be considered to work there without going through the student visa.

thank you, rusty. i know there is a tight competition and it's going to be hard. but... im hoping for a chance to be able to work there and be able to work with great people in this field. whew.... i really want this... i can do other jobs in UK while im working on getting a job there as a biomedical scientist.

i dont think you will get a 'workpermit'/tier2 visa very difficult now as there is a limit to how many can be given out each year and i doubt your skills are on the job shortage list.

thou difficult it might be, dont give up it took my wife 7yrs in the UK to be able to work as a doctor
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

difficult but possible..

i just want to fish advices... that's all..

Respected Member Eyes O'Donnell's Avatar
    Good luck I hope everything works out for you...Don't lose hope God bless

any advice on what to do?

Banned
    You may well have difficulties getting work in your field but, you most can definitely get work outside your chosen field be it labouring to start off ...employers, in my experience are not fussy on where you come from as long as you are legal.

My wife found employment no problems...its just up to you how much you really want to work

It sounds you may have to obtain a British passport holding husband first.

Good Luck

Banned
    The student visa route is a workable one. A colleague of mine came to the UK from Cuba on a student visa, a few years ago. He took a degree in Engineering. But he had to fund the degree costs himself. He eventually married a British woman, took the Life in the UK Test and ILR and is a British Citizen now.

thank very much guys...

Quote Originally Posted by CATHERINEOFENDA View Post

A pleasant day to everybody here. I'm Cathy and I'm a Medical Technologist here in the Philippines. I want to work in UK as a phlebotomist or a Medical Technologist. Any advice is deeply appreciated. Thank you very very much.
    Hello, Cathy ... to the friendly, online filipino/uk community.

i want to work in UK. they have an exemplary state in science and medicine. they have good learning institutions. and those are very promising.
    Whilst it's true has, for centuries, been - indeed, still IS - regarded as being at the forefront as a world leader in the Scientific, Technological and Medicial fields, we ARE, by UNIVERSAL standards, a comparatively small nation - currently struggling to survive economically in the wake of gobal recession - which, sadly, due to our island being grossly overpopulated in proportion to its size - has, in turn, led to an acute shortage of job opportunities for skilled workers, affecting virtually ALL trades and professions.

Quote Originally Posted by CATHERINEOFFENDA View Post
    I was thinking if there's a way for me to be considered to work there without going through the student visa.
    if I appear pessimistic. Having said that, I do admire your "Where there's a Will - there's a Way" philosophy, would suggest following the links provided by the previous respondents and wish you all the very best in pusuit of your objectives.

thank you very much mister little. but i would like to ask what other jobs could i take there to use as a stepping stone to being a biomedical scientist in uk?

Cathy, try reviewing the links provided especially the UKBA link, as that will provide the advice you seek.
    Whichever route you take you will need to apply for, and be granted, a visa.

ok.... hayyy.. sure will.

thank you very much mister little. but i would like to ask what other jobs could i take there to use as a stepping stone to being a biomedical scientist in uk?
    Hmm ... well ... ... I'm thinking along the lines of 'Joe Bloggs' - ANOTHER of our Moderators - whose wife practised Medicine in the *Philippines after qualifying as a doctor there ... but, on migrating to the UK, was compelled to undertake many years of statutory Examinations and re-training - while simultaneously working as a laboratory technician/assistant - before finally being allowed to register with the General Medical Council of Great Britain & Northern Ireland ... a long, hard slog, by all accounts.

welcome to the forum.

i hope and pray that you will be able to work here in the UK. i'm a registered nurse in the philippines and got married to a british citizen. i want to work here as a nurse soon when i'm allowed. ( i have no work permit yet -still waiting for my FLR-M ) but when i review the conditions it seems very difficult to obtain that job here BUT anyway i am ready to experience any kind of job because like what they said its tough here in the UK right now . GOOD LUCK TO US AND GOD BLESS

Cathy, Try following this UKBA link also Employing migrants

welcome to the forum!! good luck to your search!! as some members advise you can read some info at UKBA site about working in UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post

while simultaneously working as a laboratory technician/assistant
    Cathy ... I'm conscious of the fact that such a position is [probably] not altogether dissimilar in nature to the job you're doing at the moment. But, as I've tried to explain earlier in the second paragraph of #13 above, nearly ALL employment remains at a premium in the current economic climate. Hence the general, overall clamp-down on the availability of Work Permits and/or Student Visas to non-Europeans from abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    The student visa route is a workable one. A colleague of mine came to the UK from Cuba on a student visa, a few years ago. He took a degree in Engineering. But he had to fund the degree costs himself. He eventually married a British woman, took the Life in the UK Test and ILR and is a British Citizen now.
    thats about the only way to stay here if you get a student visa, but i didn't want to mention that

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Hmm ... well ... ... I'm thinking along the lines of 'Joe Bloggs' - ANOTHER of our Moderators - whose wife practised Medicine in the *Philippines after qualifying as a doctor there ... but, on migrating to the UK, was compelled to undertake many years of statutory Examinations and re-training - while simultaneously working as a laboratory technician/assistant - before finally being allowed to register with the General Medical Council of Great Britain & Northern Ireland ... a long, hard slog, by all accounts.
    your right Arthur she worked in the vampire squad at the local hospital extracting blood from patients at local clinics part time for more than 3yrs her first step on a long journey, you'll find some Filipino nurses working in the UK are infact registered doctors in the phils, but for what ever reason they couldn't make it as a doc in the UK

the registrar asked her the other day what country was she from, she said Philippines, he said he never met a doctor from the Philippines before, nearly every other country but not the phils, nurses he had met many but never a doc working in the UK. .
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    thats about the only way to stay here if you get a student visa, but i didn't want to mention that

Not an easy route in. Cuba is a relatively poor country too so stumping up for the fees didn't come easy to him. And when he was in the UK he not only had to study hard but also continue financing himself with work at the same time. And then he had to find the right woman to marry.... And then find the fees for ILR and Citizenship. He only lately got a job as an Engineer.

He didn't come here intentionally looking for a bride.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Cathy, Try following this UKBA link also Employing migrants
    A large proportion of employers in the UK now advertise and recruit online through agencies. To give you some idea of the jobs currently available, I'd recommend viewing http://www.monster.co,uk . Of course the information in the link provided by Terpe has to be borne in mind first.

Best of luck
    Rosie

Try this company ...i have a filipino friend who works there and they should be able to help you. http://www.jobconnections.co.uk/

They have offices in the UK and Phils i think.

thank you very much.... =)

Coming here as a student and working part time will cost you more and does not make sense economically.

When I first came here as a depenent,, I worked as technician as well. Coming here from Philippines directly is quite tough especially now that UK is in recession.

Recruiters will just cost you money at the moment with little benefits. Avoid like a plague.

is there any other way... a lot of people is discouraging me... i dont think its impossible though... =(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information