Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

UK Embassy In Manila Have Cancelled My Appointment!

I am getting married mid September in Manila. I had an appointment with the UK Embassy early September but I have just received an email saying that the officer will now be away on that date.

After booking my original appointment I put the plans in place for the wedding, flights honeymoon etc.!

Anyway, the UK Embassy will allow my fiance to submit the application on my behalf in August, providing they have the original documents with the exception of a notarized copy of my passport. I will get my CNI here in the UK mid August.

1. Can anyone advise on the best/cheapest/easiest method of obtaining a notarized copy of a passport.

2. Can anyone recommend a courier copy which I can use to send these documents to my fiance, preferably with an online tracking service.

If I send the documents on say the 16th of this month, I figure I should make the appointment at the UK Embassy for my fiance about 7-10 days after this.

Respected Member
    Oops apologies. I have just searched. DHL Document Express 35 pounds - 4-5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Moving Forward View Post
    1. Can anyone advise on the best/cheapest/easiest method of obtaining a notarized copy of a passport.
    You don't need notarised copies from a Notary Public, which is actually quite expensive.
    Just make a visit to a local solicitor with your passport and other ID and organise a regular certified copy.
    That'll be just fine.

Some folks have even only just sent scanned copies of their passport pages and that has not been questioned.

My personal mantra however is 'minimise risks'.

A quick phone call to the FCO here will help

Banned
    As an alternative you can submit your original birth certificate instead of a notarised copy of your passport. We did that and also submitted a plain photocopy of the main page of our passport and the pages with visas on too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    As an alternative you can submit your original birth certificate instead of a notarised copy of your passport. We did that and also submitted a plain photocopy of the main page of our passport and the pages with visas on too.
    Oops. My apologies as this was for our Spouse Visa application. Sorry.

why not try my way i didnt go to embassy i got my local cni fron nso office in san fernando near pampanga paid the fee and got it 3 days later worth a try good luck i was maarried in may 28

Respected Member
    I recently got my passport certified by my M.P. It did not cost me a penny. Its on house of commons headed paper and looks like you mean business. Also if you need any help with further visas etc, the M.P. is aware of your case. They are always glad to help..
    Good luck

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    why not try my way i didnt go to embassy i got my local cni fron nso office in san fernando near pampanga paid the fee and got it 3 days later worth a try good luck i was maarried in may 28
    I know this has worked for you hawk...BUT we advise everyone here to follow the correct process in obtaining required documents for visas or marrying overseas. It's always a risk whenever someone doesn't follow the right way.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Banned
    I kind of watched Hawk's case with interest. Is it so non standard? It may just be a way that is acceptable but overlooked in the past. It may well be worth emailing the embassy in Manila etc to verify that it is acceptable / not acceptable.

When my wife and I first decided to get married, because we didnt know any better, we almost went and got married without the UK CNI being exchanged for a local CNI. Apparently it was perfectly possible with a CENOMAR. We found out later about going to the embassy and exchanging a UK CNI for a local CNI. And were told if we didnt do that then the marriage wouldn't be recognised by the embassy when we later applied for her Spouse visa.

Do we know it is definitely / or might be unacceptable to go it Hawks way?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sheldon1 View Post
    I recently got my passport certified by my M.P. It did not cost me a penny. Its on house of commons headed paper and looks like you mean business. Also if you need any help with further visas etc, the M.P. is aware of your case. They are always glad to help..
    Good luck
    Thats a sensible move

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Thats a sensible move
    I agree. There can be more than 1 way to skin a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    ...Do we know it is definitely / or might be unacceptable to go it Hawks way?
    Well we all know that many things are possible in the Philippines.
    But as I've posted multiple times before, if in any doubt just refer to legislation:-

Without appearing to flog a dead horse this post is made "Just for the record."

The CNI is a Certificate of no impediment (sometimes called Legal Capacity to Marry)
    This certificate provides evidence to officially authorised people that the marriage will be recognised as a valid marriage in both Philippines and the country of the foreign spouse.

A valid CNI is required by Philippine law.
    The Foreign and Commonwealth Office states:-

You should check with the authorities in the country where you are marrying whether they can accept the CNI as issued by the UK registrar or if it must be exchanged for a locally acceptable version (ie. a certificate in the local language) issued by the British Embassy or Consulate

From Article 21 of The Family Code of The Philippines:-

When either or both of the contracting parties are citizens of a foreign country, it shall be necessary for them before a marriage license can be obtained, to submit a certificate of legal capacity to contract marriage, issued by their respective diplomatic or consular officials.
    The highlighting was done by me and does not appear that way in the Family Code.

No offence intended, but following illegal processes can often lead to all sorts of unforseen problems.
    Not least that technically the marriage is not legal ( might be seen by some folks as an advantage )

Everyone has a free choice, but should be aware of unlawful options. IMHO
    Just think about it

Banned
    When either or both of the contracting parties are citizens of a foreign country, it shall be necessary for them before a marriage license can be obtained, to submit a certificate of legal capacity to contract marriage, issued by their respective diplomatic or consular officials.
    I see.

i should have added but missed out i did have appointment with embassy but when i was told at fso office it was not needed to go and get cni at embassy we just filled put the forms paid the money and the rest is history yes you should always go the correct route and it only takes a little trip to a local fso office and ask advice after all there the one that issuse the cni to you and your wife not the embassy as with me we were told it was only need go embassy if you didnt get a uk cni as i has a uk one we did what fso office said it all went fine good luck to you both from me and marites

Respected Member
    Thanks for all the replies.

I walked into my local branch of Barclays Bank today and they certified a copy of my passport , they also stamped it with their branch details. They didn't charge for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moving Forward View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.

I walked into my local branch of Barclays Bank today and they certified a copy of my passport , they also stamped it with their branch details. They didn't charge for this.
    Nice job, well thought out

Respected Member
    Just to update this thread.... I sent my documents via DHL Document Express - 35 pounds. It took only 2 days for them to get there.

Thread Information