Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Trusted Member

27 million pounds

Well, it's gone now.

4 hours of inclusive and politically-correct 'stuff'....the only person not being featured, wheeled on, carrying something or given an honourable mention appearing to be the 3 legged blind bog-cleaner at the stadium.

Comments please.

Banned
    That amount of dough would of covered my healthcare expenses in my twilight years...just

Respected Member
    We really enjoyed it here, my wife was laughing so much when the Queen "parachuted" in. shame that they cut away from the Philippines team entrance to show Team GB queeing.

Respected Member
    I thought it was very good and i think Danny Boyle put on a first class show
    Of course its in London so some from (up north) will just knock it = true to form
    The OLYMPICS dont come here that often and its about time people started to get behind it
    I love sport anyway and i will be watching most of the events

Constantly talking these world class events down hardly does much for our nation

The OLYMPICS are here so just rejoice in that fact and be proud that our country can put on a great show

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by London_Manila View Post
    Of course its in London so some from (up north) will just knock it = true to form
    The OLYMPICS dont come here that often and its about time people started to get behind it

Constantly talking these world class events down hardly does much for our nation

The OLYMPICS are here so just rejoice in that fact and be proud that our country can put on a great show
    Im not in the north ...I like sport but, other things in life for me, take priority.

Yes, ive said to my wife just this evening history is in the making tonight...I cant say im over excited about the occasion.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancashirelad View Post
    We really enjoyed it here, my wife was laughing so much when the Queen "parachuted" in. shame that they cut away from the Philippines team entrance to show Team GB queeing.
    Yes. That annoyed my wife too.

Presumably that is a traditional costume that they wore? I was half expecting the Philippine team to circle the stadium in flip flops and shorts on the back of a habal habal. Perhaps complete with a More Fun in the Philippines plaque.

The Barong Tagalog from Rajo Laurel....

http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2012/07/1...mpic-makeover/

http://bidakapamilya.blogspot.com/20...hilippine.html

Banned
    I enjoyed the bit where the queen was checking her nails when Team GB came in.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/olymp...2056f9815.html

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by London_Manila View Post

I agree.

I thoroughly enjoyed it

Am now excitedly looking forward to the next couple of weeks of top class sports.

The greatest show on earth in the greatest city on earth

As a personal view, I don't see any valid point in theorising about how any public money would have been better spent or prioritised.

Much more valid is to consider just how the daily decisions on public money is spent and prioritised.
    I doubt very much that funding the olympics impacted any decisions made about what happened to my dad when he was in hospital.
    Or about how much money is spent and prioritised on our prisons and prisoners when compared to the disgraceful conditions and treatment of our elderly folks both in care homes and in the community.

The money spent on the olympics wouldn't make any difference.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    I really enjoyed the show last night Mr. Bean (Rowan Atkinson) never fails to make me laugh! And James Bond (Daniel Craig) meeting the Queen and jumping from the helicopter!!! But the best one for me is the lighting of the copper petals which comprises the Olympic cauldron..WOW! I never expected that.

I'm actually jealous that my home country, Philippines, would never be able to host such an event like this. I remember asking my dad when I was younger when can we host the Olympics and he just laughed at me and told me "We don't have the place and obviously the money to do it". I think you guys should just stop moaning a bit and be glad that your country can host a great display of sports for the whole world to see. A lot of sports fanatics in the Philippines, including me, wishes we have the ability to do that, especially now that sports in the Philippines is lacking a lot of funding for any sports events, except for Manny Pacquiao of course, (which I'm sure he uses his own money in promoting the sports). Like what Terpe said, I don't think there would be any difference whether UK host it or not. Just be proud you got it this year and of course not forgetting the Diamond Jubilee earlier.

By the way, I'm rooting for Brazil in the women's volleyball.. they've always been my favorite ever since Leila Barros
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

I agree it was a good show. But who will pay for it and who will benefit from it?

Trusted Member
    Ignoring the comments of those presumptuous individuals who are too thick to realise that a lot of what I post is tongue in cheek...

I thoroughly enjoyed it and watched it from beginning to end...despite being from the frozen cloth-cap wearing North.

Where was Austin Powers though ?

They should have cut away when a team came in who no-one gave a stuff about..........I suggest team pakistan

I did wonder when India came in, and the camera cut to her Maj and Prince Philip, if when he leant over to her with a grin on his face, he was going to make one of his customary crackers about the dayglow turbans they were wearing perhaps

Respected Member
    I thought the Filipino team costumes were the best - in keeping with national traditions and very elegant.

Nobody expects Sir Tim Berners-Lee!

Trusted Member
    No offence intended, but when the Pakistani team came on I couldn't help looking for backpacks.

I'd have hired Chas & Dave out for the night and the Ł27m would have been invested into Olympic sports.

Much rather see a healthy gold medal tally than an overcooked history lesson.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iani View Post
    They should have cut away when a team came in who no-one gave a stuff about..........I suggest team pakistan

I did wonder when India came in, and the camera cut to her Maj and Prince Philip, if when he leant over to her with a grin on his face, he was going to make one of his customary crackers about the dayglow turbans they were wearing perhaps
    I think by that stage her Maj had gone to sleep and hubby was comatose.

Banned
    Ł27 million gets you a huge emphasis on political correctness and a shed load of positive discrimination, I'm surprised they didn't go the whole hog and have a troop of fully veiled up women involved.

Good for TV and the self servers but I can think of many better ways to spend that kind of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancashirelad View Post

this makes me irritated..oh how i hate BBC lol...been waiting for the philippines team just to cut their moment grrrr. i enjoyed mr bean though..can't stop laughing.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    No offence intended, but when the Pakistani team came on I couldn't help looking for backpacks.
    Really?

In my experience, when an Englishman comes up with "no offence intended", he intends to be just as offensive as he thinks he can get away with.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by malditako View Post
    [/B]

this makes me irritated..oh how i hate BBC lol...been waiting for the philippines team just to cut their moment grrrr. i enjoyed mr bean though..can't stop laughing.
    I agree.

My son and I felt that the Philippines were short-changed.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBM View Post
    Really?

In my experience, when an Englishman comes up with "no offence intended", he intends to be just as offensive as he thinks he can get away with.
    Well, I gave you a chance but now you're back on 'ignore'.
    Don't waste your words on me because they won't show up on my screen.

BYE !

'There are none so blind as those who cannot see'

Banned
    Really?

Well, I gave you a chance but now you're back on 'ignore'.
    Don't waste your words on me because they won't show up on my screen.

BYE !

'There are none so blind as those who cannot see'
    Now come on you two guys. I value both of your opinions. You might come in from differing perspectives but both have a lot to offer.

Trusted Member
    Life will go on.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    But the best one for me is the lighting of the copper petals which comprises the Olympic cauldron..WOW! I never expected that.
    I agree. Fantastic and probably fantastic to see live.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    Now come on you two guys. I value both of your opinions. You might come in from differing perspectives but both have a lot to offer.
    You are clearly one of the Children of God,

( Matthew 5:9, lost on Graham of course).

Banned
    You are clearly one of the Children of God,

( Matthew 5:9, lost on Graham of course).
    Well no. I just prefer to read a richness of opinion on the forum, which is perfectly possible if you chaps agree to differ where necessary.

Banned
    Ignoring the comments of those presumptuous individuals who are too thick to realise that a lot of what I post is tongue in cheek...

I thoroughly enjoyed it and watched it from beginning to end...despite being from the frozen cloth-cap wearing North.

Where was Austin Powers though ?
    Agreed. I often post diametrically opposite to my own opinion, just to see what responses I might get. Sometimes folk take ones words too literally.

Banned
    I agree with Graham's 2nd post on here...certainly tongue in cheek ...humour which until recently, went over my wife's head ..im sure I dont know why.

Of course im proud of my country and the proven ability to put on such shows..we are of course Great Britain

I even called my wife and encouraged her to watch the show...Cbeebies finished for the day, babies in bed..an ideal opportunity..she did manage to watch some.

I do agree with Dedworth...its all gone politically correct...nothing at all the 77 jubilee celebrations.

I wont be watching any of it...but, I'll be encouraging my dear wife

Banned

Thread Information