Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jock_in_a_frock View Post
    Hullo guys n gals, i stumbled across this site whilst looking for some info on marrying in phills.

i plan on marrying in phills on January 2013, so as i understand i will apply for my CNI in the local register office in Scotland, book appointment for the British Embassy in Manila in order to obtain a ‘Consular CNI’

i need my passport, original birth certificate, and as far i can tell we both need a CENOMAR is this required to obtain the ‘Consular CNI’ at the Embassy ? or just for the wedding itself ?

also just looking to find out what documents my fiancee has to provide at the Embassy, just so we can get things to run as smooth as possible.. shes from Ozamiz City, so need to set the wheels in motion as she will need to make sure everythings in order at her end before flying to meet me in Manila..

also whats the costs involved ?

thxx in advance all.. and great site !!
    If you have been divorced before you need to have your original final court stamped papers too.

Getting married can cost as much or as little as you want, but just dont get pressured into making it a whole town affair. You will get every didstand cousin coming out of the woodwork just to catch a part of the occasion.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Respected Member
    The CENOMAR isn't required for the CNI conversion, only for the marriage license.

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    ah thxx guys ^^

sorry i was being a little vague.. i was meaning the costs to obtain the CNI in uk and the costs involved at the embassy to exchange this to a consular CNI ? oh and marriage license also ?

also guys, does my fiancee need to be at the embassy also ?
    just not sure what she needs to do, just know that she needs the CENOMAR also..

thxx in advance !

Hi guys,

Can you clarify this point = Does 10 days include weekends? If not the wait for a license could spin over to 14 days! I have a date for the embassy but we need to clarify the lead times before we can get our license in CDO.
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained"
    "It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all" Lord Tenneson.

Quote Originally Posted by songz777 View Post
    Hi guys,

Can you clarify this point = Does 10 days include weekends? If not the wait for a license could spin over to 14 days! I have a date for the embassy but we need to clarify the lead times before we can get our license in CDO.
    If you're thinking about the marriage licence then I think you'll need to confirm that time before issue locally.

Why?

Well For what it's worth Executive Order No.209 (The Family Code of the Philippines)

States:-

Art. 17. The local civil registrar shall prepare a notice which shall contain the full names and residences of the applicants for a marriage license and other data given in the applications. The notice shall be posted for ten consecutive days on a bulletin board outside the office of the local civil registrar located in a conspicuous place within the building and accessible to the general public. This notice shall request all persons having knowledge of any impediment to the marriage to advise the local civil registrar thereof. The marriage license shall be issued after the completion of the period of publication.
    So legally it's 10 consecutive days minimum.

As I'm sure you know, there are always 'local variations' in the Philippines.

After all, if the licence is not issued until after 11,12 or 13 days then it still complies with the legal requirement provided it has been posted continuously for a minimum 10 consecutive days.

Most folks here have said 10 days but the best advice is to always check locally for confirmation of when it actually will be issued

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    If you're thinking about the marriage licence then I think you'll need to confirm that time before issue locally.

Why?

Well For what it's worth Executive Order No.209 (The Family Code of the Philippines)

States:-

So legally it's 10 consecutive days minimum.

As I'm sure you know, there are always 'local variations' in the Philippines.

After all, if the licence is not issued until after 11,12 or 13 days then it still complies with the legal requirement provided it has been posted continuously for a minimum 10 consecutive days.

Most folks here have said 10 days but the best advice is to always check locally for confirmation of when it actually will be issued
    Many thanks Terpe I will ask my finacee to check this with the local office in CDO.
    "It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all" Lord Tenneson.

Quote Originally Posted by jock_in_a_frock View Post
    ah thxx guys ^^

sorry i was being a little vague.. i was meaning the costs to obtain the CNI in uk and the costs involved at the embassy to exchange this to a consular CNI ? oh and marriage license also ?

also guys, does my fiancee need to be at the embassy also ?
    just not sure what she needs to do, just know that she needs the CENOMAR also..

thxx in advance !
    I have just had a reply from the embassy and they said = your fiancee does not have to appear in peron== but of course you will need her CEMONAR and ID so she may as well turn up with you and bring her documents & both your Cemonar's as she can apply for them as long as she has all your detaila

i think since whats mentioned above, both the CEMONAR`s aren't required for the embassy meeting, just trying to make sure i have everything prepared. I know i need my CNI, original birth certificate and passport, if my fiancee isnt required to be at the meeting, do i need some of her Id`s ?

thxx again !

Respected Member
    Correction to my earlier regarding then CENOMAR, there are certain situations where it is required whilst converting a CNI. This was not the case previously. Check the following official Embassy Guidance.

http://ukinthephilippines.fco.gov.uk...012-19-october

http://ukinthephilippines.fco.gov.uk...ni-application

Howdi folks.. . a little update..

ok little problem with the manila embassy cant give me an appointment until 10 days after i arrive, dont like manila to much plus the fiancee`s family is in Mindinao where we planned on celebrating new year so thats now up in the air, my fiancee is just visiting her sister in manila so was going to hang off until i arrive, anyways 1st question did i read on here somewhere Cebu has an embassy where i can get my CNI exchanged ?

also in 1 of the email replys the embassy stated..::

Fees No. 10 and 11 (GBP65.00 + GBP65.00) to apply for notice of marriage and certificate of no impediment,

so i need to apply for the notice of marriage also at the embassy i thought this was done where you intend to marry at the local registar ?

thxx in advance for ur replys all !!

anyone know if this is correct ^^^ ?

Respected Member
    If you already have the CNI from your UK registry office you do not need to submit notice to marry, just convert it.
    There is an honorary consul (Moya Jackson) in Cebu who is able to dconvert the CNI. She is a volunteer.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...on-consul-cebu

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on here yet (I hadn't been on here since end of Oct before I left) but the CENOMAR isn't required anymore for the Brit. They updated their requirements in October I think and this was eliminated. Having already obtained one, we took it anyway, and we asked if they wanted it, but the lady said only my partners

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteBloodAda View Post
    I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on here yet (I hadn't been on here since end of Oct before I left) but the CENOMAR isn't required anymore for the Brit. They updated their requirements in October I think and this was eliminated. Having already obtained one, we took it anyway, and we asked if they wanted it, but the lady said only my partners
    I stand to be corrected, but as far as I know there has never been any legal requirement to have a CENOMAR
    Certainly in The Family Code of the Philippines there is no mention to this.

However there is a requirement that states:-
    The formal requisites of marriage are:

(1) Authority of the solemnizing officer;
    (2) A valid marriage license except in the cases provided for in Chapter 2 of this Title; and
    (3) A marriage ceremony which takes place with the appearance of the contracting parties before the solemnizing officer and their personal declaration that they take each other as husband and wife in the presence of not less than two witnesses of legal age.
    Further it states
    The absence of any of the essential or formal requisites shall render the marriage void
    It was this that gave rise to many authorities to request CENOMAR and laterly to request CENOMAR from the foreign spouse to be.
    'They' have full power to withold authority and create all sorts of problems and delays in securing a marriage license

Having the CENOMAR beforehand is so much better than not having it at all.
    It can save time, money, tears and heartache. Especially if the fiance(e) lives in the province.

I fully understand what you're saying about your own case, but I'd be very be very cautious about saying it's not required, or no longer required.

This is from Augusts requirements for obtaining a local CNI from the Embassy if you already have a UK Issued one

¨ CNI fee (£ 65 for the issue of the CNI) payable only in Philippine pesos, in cash, calculated at the current Consular rate of exchange.

1. For British National applicant born in the UK:

¨ Original UK passport. If applicant is overseas, a certified copy of the data page; a photostatic or electronic copy of the certified page is not acceptable.
    ¨ Original UK-issued CNI, or original Notice of Marriage, issued by the British Embassy abroad. Please note that a CNI issued in Scotland should be presented to the British Embassy Manila within 3 months of it being issued.
    ¨ CENOMAR with details matching those on the passport.
    ¨ If widow/widower, present original death certificate of deceased spouse, or a certified copy. If spouse died in the Philippines, present
    O death certificate of deceased spouse
    O Advisory on Marriage (CRS Form 5) in lieu of a CENOMAR
    O Marriage certificate with proper annotation declaring, if applicable, the presumptive death of spouse
    ¨ If divorced/annulled, present original divorce decree absolute/annulment papers, or a certified copy. If annulled in the Philippines, please present the following documents:
    O Advisory of Marriage Record (CRS Form 5) in lieu of a CENOMAR
    O Certificate of Finality and full court documents, including decision
    O Marriage certificate, with proper annotation declaring the marriage null and void
    ¨ If you have previously obtained a local CNI from the British Embassy Manila or Honorary Consulate Cebu, you must then obtain an Advisory of Marriage (CRS Form 5) from the NSO in lieu of a CENOMAR.

And this is Octobers

¨ CNI fee (£ 65 for the issue of the CNI) payable only in Philippine pesos, in cash, calculated at the current Consular rate of exchange.

1. For British National applicant born in the UK:

¨ Original UK passport. If applicant is overseas, a certified copy of the data page; a photostatic or electronic copy of the certified page is not acceptable.
    ¨ Original UK-issued CNI, or original Notice of Marriage, issued by the British Embassy abroad. Please note that a CNI issued in Scotland should be presented to the British Embassy Manila within 3 months of it being issued.
    ¨ If widow/widower, present original death certificate of deceased spouse, or a certified copy. If spouse died in the Philippines, present
    O death certificate of deceased spouse
    O Advisory on Marriage (CRS Form 5) in lieu of a CENOMAR
    O Marriage certificate with proper annotation declaring, if applicable, the presumptive death of spouse
    ¨ If divorced/annulled, present original divorce decree absolute/annulment papers, or a certified copy. If annulled in the Philippines, please present the following documents:
    O Advisory of Marriage Record (CRS Form 5) in lieu of a CENOMAR
    O Certificate of Finality and full court documents, including decision
    O Marriage certificate, with proper annotation declaring the marriage null and void
    ¨ If you have previously obtained a local CNI from the British Embassy Manila or Honorary Consulate Cebu, you must then obtain an Advisory of Marriage (CRS Form 5) from the NSO in lieu of a CENOMAR.

At no point was my CEMOMAR used, but we took it everywhere we went in case it was needed

Respected Member
    Hi Guys now it gets worse as a widower once married to a filipina i informed the philippine embassy 6 years ago of my wifes death even paid the £18 fee for them to register her death with the NSO now when i apply for a cenomar to remarry i find that despite having a letter and recept the nso deny all knowledge of my wifes death and say she is still alive and married to me

Applied for Cenomar to be delivered to me in UK today. Says 6-8 weeks delivery.... so lets see.

Option A
    Obtain CNI in the UK, and convert in Philippines

1) Visit your local registrar, request a CNI
    2) WAIT 21 DAYS
    3) Visit the British Embassy in Manila or Honorary Consul in Cebu to exchange CNI for a Consular CNI.
    4) Marriage License Request at City Hall
    5) WAIT 10 DAYS
    6) Receive Marriage License

Minimum of 32 days, with at least 10 days in the Philippines
    We are going down this route. However I don't understand number 4.... Harlene has asked me to ask can she request the marriage license in her own town or does it have to be done at City hall?

Also do we need to travel back to Manila after 10 days to pick the CNI up or can it be delivered somehow?

Thank you very much Ricky for all the info, now We start doing these step by step. You are a hero! Hehe..
    “To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heavens. [Ecclesiastes 3:1]”

Quote Originally Posted by Slip View Post
    Applied for Cenomar to be delivered to me in UK today. Says 6-8 weeks delivery.... so lets see.

Received today.... Woke up after my nightshift to a card from the postman telling me I had an international letter to sign for at the sorting office.

One cenomar delivered in exactly 2 weeks from Philippines to UK!!!! I was fully expecting to wait 6 weeks!

(Unfortunately) Neighbours with the footballers and their wags.
    I've read this thread and I must say I'm more confused now wrt if my British bf needs a Cenomar or a CRS Form 5 to exchange his CNI taken from UK for consular CNI. His UK embassy appointment will be on March 17th and will head straight to the City Hall to attend the seminar and we'll file the wedding license the same day so we can get married on March 28 as we will both be flying back to UK on March 29. Can anyone please clarify this? Big thanks!
    This wife.. has an amazing husband.

Respected Member
    Needs BOTH a Cenomar and converted CNI. Cenomar is most easily done online and delivered to your address in the Philippines.

(Unfortunately) Neighbours with the footballers and their wags.
    Hello RickiR, thanks for the quick reply. Can I apply the cenomar for him?
    This wife.. has an amazing husband.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinaDiver View Post
    Hello RickiR, thanks for the quick reply. Can I apply the cenomar for him?
    It can be done online, so yes you can do it for him. then get it delivered to your address in Philippines. I'd do it today if I was you as your wedding is only 4 weeks away, good luck with everything

Respected Member
    Yes as slip says, you can do it for him online. There are two options on the website, he can have it delivered to the UK or delivered to the Philippines, the Philippines option takes only a matter of days and requires you to pay a local bank branch using the reference number given on the website. All very easy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information