Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Post John Peel's record collection goes live online

The names of the first 100 albums of the late DJ John Peel's record collection have been published online.

The John Peel Centre, in Stowmarket, is behind the project, called The Space, which aims to recreate the late broadcaster's home studio and library.

Peel, who died in 2004, had a collection of about 25,000 vinyl albums. The names of about 100 will be added in alphabetical order each week.

Among the first artists are Abba, ABC, AC/DC and Adam & The Ants.

The website does not allow users to listen to the albums but there will be links to other websites which offer this.

There should be 2,600 album names put online by October, which is the period covered by Arts Council funding for the project.

Covers and cards

The website also features a video interview with Mike Absalom, a singer-songwriter, poet and artist whose Save The Last Gherkin For Me (1968) was 001 in Peel's card index system.

Eye Film & Television, based in Norwich, has produced new films for the project and digitised the album covers and Mr Peel's index cards.

Charlie Gauvain, Eye's managing director, said: "These cards have been scanned, often with typos, so we have tried to make it personal and make it feel the way that John kept his LPs.

"People will be able to trawl through the site, find a lot of information, link out and start lots of discussions, but the whole thing is about introducing people to stuff they hadn't heard of."

Andrew Stringer, a director of the John Peel Centre, said: "This is just the first step and a fantastic portal to give the career of John Peel the justice it deserves.

"Whether people listened to his shows or not, their social history has been influenced by him because nothing was deemed 'out of the box' and it encouraged people to expand their horizons.

"Would punk have been the movement it was without John? I very much doubt it."

Source:-
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-17894985

Hello Sir Terpe....how can I talk to you...need your help about my VISA application ...

Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    Hello Sir Terpe....how can I talk to you...need your help about my VISA application ...
    The best way to get help is to post your questions on the forum.

Thank you sir....I will....

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post

The names of the first 100 albums of the late DJ John Peel's record collection have been published online.

The John Peel Centre, in Stowmarket, is behind the project, called The Space, which aims to recreate the late broadcaster's home studio and library.

Peel, who died in 2004, had a collection of about 25,000 vinyl albums. The names of about 100 will be added in alphabetical order each week.

Among the first artists are Abba, ABC, AC/DC and Adam & The Ants.

The website does not allow users to listen to the albums but there will be links to other websites which offer this.

There should be 2,600 album names put online by October, which is the period covered by Arts Council funding for the project.

Covers and cards

The website also features a video interview with Mike Absalom, a singer-songwriter, poet and artist whose Save The Last Gherkin For Me (1968) was 001 in Peel's card index system.

Eye Film & Television, based in Norwich, has produced new films for the project and digitised the album covers and Mr Peel's index cards.

Charlie Gauvain, Eye's managing director, said: "These cards have been scanned, often with typos, so we have tried to make it personal and make it feel the way that John kept his LPs.

"People will be able to trawl through the site, find a lot of information, link out and start lots of discussions, but the whole thing is about introducing people to stuff they hadn't heard of."

Andrew Stringer, a director of the John Peel Centre, said: "This is just the first step and a fantastic portal to give the career of John Peel the justice it deserves.

"Whether people listened to his shows or not, their social history has been influenced by him because nothing was deemed 'out of the box' and it encouraged people to expand their horizons.

"Would punk have been the movement it was without John? I very much doubt it."

Source:-
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-17894985
    Thanks for the info peter this will interest me very much as i love my music

AN HAPPY WIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by stevie c View Post
    Thanks for the info peter this will interest me very much as i love my music
    We both love music too Steve, it's a big part of our life together.

I always enjoyed hearing and watching his various music shows. His musical interests were probably as wide as could be, but he was pretty good at finding original and creative stuff. He always struck me as being a really nice bloke.

Most definatley Peter I cant argue with that

AN HAPPY WIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE

Thread Information