Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Lightbulb Hospitals that detain patients prior to payment are acting illegally.

Here was an interesting post in another thread that prompted me to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    My father in law was in a private hosp last week. We had a problem transferring money to pay the bill, They would not let him leave until he paid. By the time we had the transfer fixed up he had stayed passed a certain time which meant he was charged for another 24 hours. I wonder what would have happened if we not sent any money, maybe he could spend the rest of his live there, 'detained until he paid .!!! '.................
    I didn't want to hi-jack the original thread, so for what it's worth here is some interesting (maybe) information.

Hospitals that detain patients prior to payment are acting illegally.
    When that hospital guard, armed with a shotgun, wants to scrutinize your officially paid receipt before you can leave, you can rest assured that he is acting illegally.

According to the Constitution of the Philippines, ARTICLE III, Bill of Rights, SECTION 20.

"No person shall be imprisoned for debt or non-payment of a poll tax"

The hospital MUST allow you to leave by your presentation of a signed agreement promissory note. If you subsequently fail to pay, the hospital can then file a civil suit to collect what is owed.

So all you need to to do is to invoke the law by pettion to the court for a writ of habeas corpus.

The Court must then order the hospital to explain why it is detaining the patient against their will.

Well that the constitution. That's the law. Hope it's helpful to some.

As for me personally, I may, or may not, try that “writ of habeas corpus” tactic. It depends on local circumstances at the time . The armed hospital guard may well successfully show me the business end of his shotgun to encourage me to pay the bill before I leave any Philippines hospital.

Anyway, food for thought.

The nurse looks like she has gone OTT on the make-up But a good read with the comments.

http://www.philippinesplus.com/phili...or-nonpayment/

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Thread Information