Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Learn Tagalog

Learn Tagalog

Learn Tagalog Online

i accidently found this, it amused me , thought some of you might find it usefull and interesting,

here is the link ,

http://tagaloglang.com/

These are the words I know the best

mahal
    mahal kita
    mahal din kita
    mabuti
    maganda
    bakit
    oo
    sigurado
    talaga

As for me:

Here are 3 phrases that I know best:-

Maayong buntag, mahal ... Good morning, my dear
    Maayong hapon, mahal .... Good afternoon, ditto
    Maayong gabii, mahal ...... Good evening, ...-do.-

You'll note from the foregoing, that I always greet my wife politely; I do admit to being acquaint with a few other ... ... "choice" phrases ... but, to mention those on the forum, would mean circumventing the swear filter - and a Moderator must, of necessity, remain ... well ... "moderate" ... by setting a good example to his fellow members, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    As for me:

Here are 3 phrases that I know best:-

Maayong buntag, mahal ... Good morning, my dear
    Maayong hapon, mahal .... Good afternoon, ditto
    Maayong gabii, mahal ...... Good evening, ...-do.-

You'll note from the foregoing, that I always greet my wife politely; I do admit to being acquaint with a few other ... ... "choice" phrases ... but, to mention those on the forum, would mean circumventing the swear filter - and a Moderator must, of necessity, remain ... well ... "moderate" ... by setting a good example to his fellow members, after all.
    Good one Arthur!!!!! but it is in Cebuano dialect not in Tagalog!!!

Still it is widely use in Philippines

The first words I ever learned within an hour of setting foot in Pinas as an impressionable,callow kid were "Dali na sa katre,e**t na ta" and "Ayoko ng babae,gusto ko lang lalake bakla ako"These were taught me by a taxi driver with a rather perverse sense of humour,he told me they were ideal ways to meet young ladies

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

katre is a deep tagalog word which means bed...the sentence means " come on in bed...quick" tell me if it is ideal way to meet young ladies

I know what it meansThe guy dropped me at a brothel in Del Pilar Street when I asked him to take me to a nice hotelThe first day I was touched up by a couple of effeminate geezers and nearly got into a ruck with the brother of a nice girlMoral of the story?Learn a little of the language if your married to a pinay,least then if your wife teaches the kids it you can understand what they are saying when they murmer under their breath

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by simpleHeart View Post
    Good one Arthur!!!!! but it is in Cebuano dialect not in Tagalog!!!

Still it is widely use in Philippines
    Yes ... so I believe, Roxanne. . I understand it's most commonly used in the Visayas and also in Mindanao - where my wife belongs.

where my wife belongs.
    Did you think before posting that Arthur, are you sending her back
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Mindanao - where my wife belongs.
    why what she done to deserve sending back

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    Arthur, are you sending her back
    Quote Originally Posted by imagine282123
    why what she done to deserve sending back
    ... no chance! guys ...

... ... as if I would, Steve and Stewart.

Trusted Member
    Arthur and I "belong tae Glasgow", meaning that's where we originally came from ( born in my case). If you ask either of us "Comfy ?" we will reply "Glasgow" . Glasgow has two seasons, winter and July, and the quickest way out of Glasgow is with a bottle of whisky ... please don't send us back

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Arthur and I "belong tae Glasgow", meaning that's where we originally came from ( born in my case). If you ask either of us "Comfy ?" we will reply "Glasgow" . Glasgow has two seasons, winter and July, and the quickest way out of Glasgow is with a bottle of whisky ... please don't send us back

Arthur and I "belong tae Glasgow", meaning that's where we originally came from ( born in my case). If you ask either of us "Comfy ?" we will reply "Glasgow" .
    Correct ... both of us "come" *fae [*Scots for from] Glasgow - meaning each of us was born there - even though we've since settled elsewhere. But - regardless of where either of us live NOWADAYS - we both feel "comfy" (comfortable) belonging to this forum.

Glasgow has two seasons, winter and July, and the quickest way out of Glasgow is with a bottle of whisky ...
    ... ... that's sooo true - regardless of which of the "two" seasons it happens to be - the tourist will soon discover copious amounts of whisky ... and water in bountiful supply!

Correct ... both of us "come" *fae [*Scots for from] Glasgow - meaning each of us was born there - even though we've since settled elsewhere. But - regardless of where either of us live NOWADAYS - we both feel "comfy" (comfortable) belonging to this forum.
    iv met many a glaswegian, some are friends, male and female, some crazy some not, but all were the friendliest buddies iv ever known

please don't send us back
    ... ... even although, as Stewart says ... the natives are friendly!

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    all were the friendliest buddies iv ever known

iv met many a glaswegian, some are friends, male and female, some crazy some not, but all were the friendliest buddies iv ever known
    Friendly ...

, Stewart ... although "buddies" - as they're known in Glaswegian parlance - actually belong to nearby Paisley.

well you learn something new everyday,i use buddies lightly, as in friends ,mates, pals ect,

at 57 and im still learning

well you learn something new everyday,i use buddies lightly, as in friends ,mates, pals ect,

at 57 and im still learning
    "Paisley buddies" ... I don't really know how they came to be called that, to be honest!

a glaswegian lady

i once had a wonderful long weekend with a glaswegian lady,she travelled up to me on the friday ,she was to travel back monday,the inbetween friday to monday il keep to myself .i was back to work on monday came home ,my front garden all tidy, dishes washed, washing machine finished a cycle,later when i went to bed , on my pillow a little love note and a red rose layed there for me

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    "Dali na sa katre,e**t na ta" and "Ayoko ng babae,gusto ko lang lalake bakla ako" ideal ways to meet young ladies
    No wonder Tawi2, you've got black-eyed after approaching ladies here with that phrase...

Pasiaw lang!!!!
    Pero ayaw jud nagbuhata kay na, mapatay jud ka!!!!

Trusted Member
    Of course English is widely spoken in the Philippines but I do find my friends appreciate my attempts to speak Tagalog.
    "Google translate" is not always reliable and it causes amusement when I use the wrong words which it supplies .
    A similar link to that given by Imagine is www.tagalogphrases.com
    There is a useful lonely planet Filipino phrasebook which I bought in the Philippines, available in UK for less than 5 GBP (www.lonelyplanet.com)
    I also found a CD-ROM "Learn Tagalog" helpful, if pricey at around 20 - 30 GBP ( www.eurotalk.com).
    It's claimed that "if you're serious about learning Tagalog" the "Rosetta Stone Version 3" set is the one to buy, advertised at www.amazon.co.uk for 170.54 GBP. Masayadong mahal ( too expensive ) for me so far ! Does anyone have experience of using this ? Is it worth so much money ?

Of course English is widely spoken in the Philippines but I do find my friends appreciate my attempts to speak Tagalog.
    "Google translate" is not always reliable and it causes amusement when I use the wrong words which it supplies .
    A similar link to that given by Imagine is www.tagalogphrases.com
    There is a useful lonely planet Filipino phrasebook which I bought in the Philippines, available in UK for less than 5 GBP (www.lonelyplanet.com)
    I also found a CD-ROM "Learn Tagalog" helpful, if pricey at around 20 - 30 GBP ( www.eurotalk.com).
    It's claimed that "if you're serious about learning Tagalog" the "Rosetta Stone Version 3" set is the one to buy, advertised at www.amazon.co.uk for 170.54 GBP. Masayadong mahal ( too expensive ) for me so far ! Does anyone have experience of using this ? Is it worth so much money ?
    I have the Rosetta Stone program. It "Throws you at first because no English at all is used. You are taught the same way as you learn t English as a child. Simply looking at things making a choice and remembering what you got right. I have to say it does work, especially if you want to increase your vocabulary over understanding of grammar, but lets face it we all learn t English without being taught grammar (and boy, doesn't it show)

I have R stone and it's good although I have only played about with it a bit due to work pressures

Trusted Member
    Thanks exadore1 and Les ! I think joebloggs also said he had R stone. I'll let you know if I do decide to purchase it.

Trusted Member
    Thanks again Les It may be harder learning a language than doing your quiz , but I really believe it helps wherever you go to make an effort and have some understanding. The challenge in the Philippines is that there are several languages and dialects - allegedly over 150 - for me Tagalog is enough ! Let's face it, we also have a few languages and many dialects in the UK . English as spoken in Yorkshire is very different to that in Scotland !

Respected Member
    I'm up to a couple of hundreds words in my vocabulary now and can put together lots of simple sentences. My problem for a while was that wherever I'd practice, I'd have Pinoys laughing at me. Which isn't the best encouragement! I thought this meant I was saying it wrong, until my girlfriend explained that people just found it funny to hear a foreigner speaking full Tagalog sentences like that. Which she seems to regard as a perfectly natural reaction as she does it too! I asked her how she'd have felt if, when she was learning English at school, the teacher started laughing at her English? She got the message but still laughs when I say stuff.

I'm up to a couple of hundreds words in my vocabulary now and can put together lots of simple sentences.
    Good man paul,I know guys who have been married for years to a pinay and still cant say anything but mahal and kumusta ka You will get there

Thread Information