Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006

Exchanging Phil D/L for a Spanish one.

I understand that the EU has agreed to exchange Phil driving licences for European ones but that so far I believe only Begum has signed up to do so.

I was told yesterday by a Filipino that she has an appointment in the Traffic Dept in Malaga to exchange her Phil DL for a Spanish one. I think she has misunderstood something.

Has anyone heard of this or have experience of anyone doing so ?

Thanks John

Hi John,

Negotiations began some years ago with a number of countries regarding such recipricol agreements.

It was reported that the agreement with Belguim was completed some time ago. I think maybe mid 2009
    It was a recipricol and administrative arrangement between the Philippine Embassy in Brussels and the Belgian Federal Public Service, Mobility and Transport.

There is also a supposed agreement with Spain already reported August 2008 at the Boletin de Estado of Spain that a similar agreement will be ratified. This was to have happened during 2008 (Sept 21 2008), but until now, DGT has not confirmed anything.

If your friend has an appointment to do just that, then maybe things have moved on and it is now possible.

I cannot find anything concrete but look here:-
    http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...%26prmd%3Divns

Respected Member
    Thanks Terpe

I will report back after my friend has been to Traffico.

Unless we get better info before then.

Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    Thanks Terpe

I will report back after my friend has been to Traffico.

Unless we get better info before then.
    John, seems logical to me that the appointment would not be agreed to, unless it could legally be achieved. (but then again.....)

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    John, seems logical to me that the appointment would not be agreed to, unless it could legally be achieved. (but then again.....)
    Apart from the fact that I have never hearted of anyone who has exchanged their DL for a Spanish one, even being able to make an appointment. One just goes to the office and does it. But time will tell.

(I had a friend who insisted that his GF had to go the the police station to register her change of address. It was only after they went there he believed I was correct when I said it was the town hall not the police. But as we know, some people believe only what they want to believe).

John, I forgot to mention that your friend will need to undertake a medical examination and an eye test (As does everyone who applies for a driving license in Spain)

on a personal note untill the driving instruction and testing is no longer buyable in the P~hils I think its a very bad idea
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Respected Member
    That was not a requirement when I changed my DL and I don't now anyone who was required to do so.

However, when that DL is renewed a medical is required.

Also, which is often unknown by many people, when a resident is driving on a foreign DL (Say UK) although it is legal they must get the medical reviews in the same way that a person who holds a Spanish licence does.

I have it on good authority that a resident driving on a foreign DL who does not have a current Medical Cert in effect does not have a valid DL and therefore no insurance. In Spain one must HAVE a current DL, unlike in UK where it includes 'has held a DL'

Quote Originally Posted by keithAngel View Post
    on a personal note untill the driving instruction and testing is no longer buyable in the P~hils I think its a very bad idea
    What is a bad idea ? being able to secure Phils DL, or exchange EU DL?
    Keith as I'm sure you know the EU community has some really bizarre laws. For driving, just as long as you have a driving license issued by any member state, you can
    exchange for a DL in any other state you are resident in. However you came by that license and for whatever category (HGV etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    What is a bad idea ? being able to secure Phils DL, or exchange EU DL?
    Keith as I'm sure you know the EU community has some really bizarre laws. For driving, just as long as you have a driving license issued by any member state, you can
    exchange for a DL in any other state you are resident in. However you came by that license and for whatever category (HGV etc)
    Its already true that a Phils liscence is valid for a year in the UK then a UK test is required no exchange possible My personal view is that driving ability is poor overall and the corrupt practices possible here with obtaining a driving liscence should force every one who apply,s for a European Model liscence to take the test in that country
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Quote Originally Posted by keithAngel View Post
    Its already true that a Phils liscence is valid for a year in the UK then a UK test is required no exchange possible My personal view is that driving ability is poor overall and the corrupt practices possible here with obtaining a driving liscence should force every one who apply,s for a European Model liscence to take the test in that country
    Couldn't agree more Keith..
    The R.P driving licence is a worthless document IMO unless in the hands of a foreigner driving here that once had to actually learn how to drive a motor vehicle.
    Big mistake if there is any truth to this.

My personal view is that driving ability is poor overall and the corrupt practices possible here with obtaining a driving liscence
    Not sure what you mean by that?
    Anyone can get a student licence here and then join in the madness quite legally!! No lessons or practical test required.

Respected Member
    From the many non-Spanish drive who here in Spain, and the lack of knowledge of those traffic laws which differ from those in UK; there is a good argument that all Brits should take a test before they are allowed to drive (even a hire car) in Spain.

But on a more personal note. My wife has a Non Professional RP licence although she did not even know what the hand brake was when she drove 20 yards in our underground garage. But the problem here is that a learner can ONLY drive with a driving school and the first step is to pass the theory. Thus one cannot get any idea whether a person may have any ability to drive until they have spent a lot of time and money on the theory and even then they cannot practice other than with a driving school.

I have given my wife a few lessons on a road which is not open to the public, but if I cannot take her out on a regular basis (as I did with my ex-wife in UK, she was hopeless but without any driving school time passed her test first time). If I could, then I think if I could get her to a level where she might eventually pass the test.

If we change her RP licence for a Spanish one then I could do that. That is why I am so interested in the possibly of her being able to exchange the DL

Thread Information