Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Converting a Tourist Visa to a Settlement Visa

Hi!

I'm Remelyn, a Filipina, currently working in Bermuda as a chartered accountant. I have looked through the forum and can't seem to find the answer to my visa question as my circumstances are a little different. I hope someone can help me!

I have met my English fiance here and we are getting married in the Philippines in July 2007. We hope to settle in the UK soon after. I currently hold a UK tourist visa valid until Jan 2008.

My question is, can I travel to the UK on my tourist visa after the wedding and then apply to convert to a spouse visa in the UK or do I have to apply for my spouse visa in the Philippines. If I must do this in Manila, how long does this usually take? Hopefully my application should be quite straight forward as I have lots of evidence (such as tax slips for both of us working at the same company in Bermuda for over a year) that my fiance and I have met before, etc. etc.

I have sent an e-mail to the embassy but they are not being very helpful!

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

Rems

You cannot convert a visa. You need to return to country of origin and start with the correct visa same as everyone else who abides by the law.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Isn't it possible to apply for a FLR when you are in the UK on a Fiance visa?

yes you can apply for FLR once you are married when you arrive here on a fiancee visa

Thanks Ricky.

When I arrive in the UK, it will be on a fiance visa. But, I will already be married! I think I'm making life complicatted for myself as the straight forward way for me to get my spouse visa is to arrive on a fiance visa and get married in the UK (I am confident I could get a fiance visa as I am currently employed in Bermuda) but I have always dreamed of getting married in a church in the Philippines.

Is it possible to arrive in the UK on a fiance visa, leave to get married in the Philippines, then come back on a fiance visa then apply for FLR? My marriage certificate will be a Philippine one, could I use this for FLR application? Applying for a spouse visa in Manila would mean separating for about 3 months after the wedding, of course I don't want this.

I am not suggesting anything illegal. I just wanted to find a way to get my visa without sacrificing the romance

I believe it's better for me to get my visa from the UK embassy in New York due to my current status here in Bermuda thus avoiding dealing with the UK embassy in Manila.

Am I being unrealistic and should I be more practical and drop the idea of my fairy tale wedding? :(

Thread Information