Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Newbie (Restricted Access)

HELP! confused mom to be: which one to apply first: passport or visa?

hey everyone. im new here and decided to join recently as everytime i browse for help online this site is the one who constantly pops up first in my search results.

brief intro about me. im a filipina who grew up in abu dhabi and is currently here at the moment in the philippines as i am expecting a baby soon, this january to be specific. the father of the baby is a british national, my ex boyfriend whom i met in abu dhabi as well and is also a childhood friend of mine there, and we have no intentions of getting married at the moment but we do want to be good and legal parents in all aspects to our soon to be baby. we are both absolutely clueless about what to do first when the baby comes out and we need for her to have legal papers asap as all my family resides in abu dhabi and my ex is currently living in the uk and is working and studying. we have limited time and above all that we are having a hard time who to ask and where to go.

now im gonna bullet form what i really wanna know and ask about regarding the baby's papers etc:

-the baby is gonna be born here so obviously she will have a philippine birth certificate. my ex is gonna be here during the birth of our baby and will sign his name as the father. what is the nationality of our baby then?

-which one do we apply for first? passport or the dual citizenship thing?

-and this dual citizenship thing (im sorry if i refer to it as a "thing" cause i am absolutely clueless about this), what does it really mean and can it be applied right away? and if so, is it possible to be applied for a kid with unmarried parents?

-last but not the least; i have seen forums here with parents talking about their kids having 2 passports. is this a must?

sorry to be asking too much here and im just a new member. im just so baffled about this whole thing. my parents were the ones who was dealing with my legal papers and stuff till now and now that i am having a baby of my own i can not even begin to explain how confused i am, but i gotta do it sooner or later. for you parents out there i know you share the same feelings as mine. i just want my daughter to be legal in all aspects so she can be like me and my ex who can travel freely and enjoy best of both her worlds, the uk and philippines, and have a proper identity. i plan on bringing her back to abu dhabi and raising her there because it is a familiar place to me and my ex as we both grew up there. and abu dhabi is a place that is all about legalities and all that.

thank you so much and hop to hear from you guys soon.

sincerely,
    expatkid xx

Quote Originally Posted by expatkid View Post
    -the baby is gonna be born here so obviously she will have a philippine birth certificate. my ex is gonna be here during the birth of our baby and will sign his name as the father. what is the nationality of our baby then?

thank you so much and hop to hear from you guys soon.

sincerely,
    expatkid xx
    hello expatkid welcome here

you have to register the birth of your baby to the british embassy check the link here for procedures and forms:
    http://ukinthephilippines.fco.gov.uk...register-birth

after the registration you can get your baby a british passport and won't need a visa to go to the uk..your baby is a british citizen by descent as she is born outside the uk with a father who is (as u said) a british national.
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

You should also register the birth with the appropriate authorities in Philippines.

was the father born in the uk ?
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

... everytime i browse for help online this site is the one who constantly pops up first in my search results.
    Yes, it would do ... being the officially-recognised, authoritative site on all that's normally entailed in Fil/Brit relationships.

brief intro about me. im a filipina who grew up in abu dhabi and is currently here at the moment in the philippines as i am expecting a baby soon, this january to be specific. the father of the baby is a british national, my ex boyfriend whom i met in abu dhabi as well and is also a childhood friend of mine there,

-the baby is gonna be born here [in the Philippines] so obviously she will have a philippine birth certificate. my ex is gonna be here during the birth of our baby and will sign his name as the father. what is the nationality of our baby then?

-which one do we apply for first? passport or the dual citizenship thing?

-and this dual citizenship thing (im sorry if i refer to it as a "thing" cause i am absolutely clueless about this), what does it really mean and can it be applied right away? and if so, is it possible to be applied for a kid with unmarried parents?

-last but not the least; i have seen forums here with parents talking about their kids having 2 passports. is this a must?

sorry to be asking too much here and im just a new member. im just so baffled about this whole thing. i just want my daughter to be legal in all aspects so she can be like me and my ex who can travel freely and enjoy best of both her worlds, the uk and philippines, and have a proper identity. i plan on bringing her back to abu dhabi and raising her there because it is a familiar place to me and my ex as we both grew up there. and abu dhabi is a place that is all about legalities and all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    was the father born in the uk ?
    Understandably, you both want the best possible start for your - as yet - unborn child! And that is why my colleagues have stressed the importance of registering your daughter with (i) the British Embassy - for which we need to ascertain the exact birthplace of the father - and (ii) the Philippine Authorities, ... in order to determine whether she would automatically qualify for dual citzenship.

here!

I just applied for my son's british passport.He was born here and my husband is also here at the time of his birth.I think it would be better for you to secure british passport and while your partner is here he will be able to provide you with requirements like his own passport, his ownbirth certificate the long form, the baby's delivery notes,scans, prenatal and post natal check upsm even the baby book, pictures of you while you were pregnant dont forget to take loads. Other requirements maybe seen on BRITISH EMBASSY WEBSITE.They are quite strict with the requirements and even passport pictures. I guess when your baby is born here that gives him the right to have Philippine passport.You have to secure him also that passport as it would be helpful going out with that in our own immigration so as not to pay fees otherwise they will consider your child a foreigner with his british passport.

Since the two of you are not married, the biological father must declare the baby as his in the birth certificate, then register her with British Embassy as his daughter.
    Till you get marry, the embassy will consider you as strange and won't deal with you.
    You should urge him to contact the embassy and get information from them.

Trusted Member
    Register the child with the British Embassy first.
    Obviously the father's name must be on the birth certificate. He MUST be a British Citizen with a British passport.

If you want your child to primarily be a British passport holder (best of course), you can at any time also procure what is known as 'recognition' as a Filipino citizen too. You will be given a certificate for this from the Phils authorities, and then your child can stay for unlimited periods in the Phils without a visa, but still have a British passport.....no Phils passport required.

I did this for my son, although he was born in England.

It effectively gives dual citizenship without the need for 2 passports, or being restricted for travel.

I don't think the Phils allow 'proper' dual citizenship anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I don't think the Phils allow 'proper' dual citizenship anyway.
    It's allowed now Graham.

Thread Information