Doc Alan, Arthur and Fred ........ thank you for your advice and support. Unfortunately, the messages that I am trying to post in reply are very slow appearing as I am a new member and they are being moderated. (I did a post in reply to Ricky and Terpe yesterday but still not showing)

Fred - My brother stopped paying into Philhealth when he left the Philippines for Malaysia 2.5 years ago.

Doc Alan - thank you for the much appreciated advice, I went straight to see my GP who has given me some contact details of a UK based neurologist who may be able to help with a second opinion. However, in the meantime, the diagnosis has now been changed to Acute Disseminating Encephalomyelitis and I have to say that this appears more relevant/ understandable than that previously suggested by the hospital who haven't seen it before. We had to take the biopsy slide to another hospital in the Philippines last week which has also provided a second pathological opinion

Arthur - thank you so much, I hope that you had a very happy birthday yesterday.

Best wishes
Rosie