Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Divorce or Annulment

My fiancee has just been refused a Marriage Settlement Visa because her previous marriage has not been annuled - but she is divorced in a USA court.

I previously wrote in June 2010 to the UK Manila Visa Dept to ask them if divorce was acceptable or did a person have to be annuled - they said to submit the Divorce papers - so it seems that divorce as opposed to annulment is allowed !

Does anyone know the answer - does a person have to be annuled or is a final divorce allowed to get a UK Settlement Visa?

Quote Originally Posted by rasc00 View Post
    My fiancee has just been refused a Marriage Settlement Visa because her previous marriage has not been annuled - but she is divorced in a USA court.
    For the USA divorce was she the petitioner or respondent?
    Did she at any time present eligible divorce papers to the authorities to have her record updated?

She was the respondant. papaers to the authorities? Philippines doesnt recognise divorce so nothing presented except the final divorce document when sending in the visa application - the divorce doc validity was not questioned by the ECO.

Newbie (Restricted Access)

question

Hello I'm new here and me and my boyfriend are planning to wed in the UK next year... the problem is that he's only 20 years old, is it possible that i could have a finace visa when he's not yet 21? he'll be turning 21 March next year and we'll wed on April, that's our plan...

Thanks in advance!

help pls on bank matters

hi everyone i am new to the site and i find it very helpful. I am applying for a fiancee visa but i dont have a job at the moment. I was in the UK for 5mos been in PH for almost 6mos now.My fiancee has a permanent job, is it still possoble to get a visa if i dont have a job here and i dont have that much money in my account. need advice pls....

I am looking for advice/tips pls. Thanks and godbless

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Fiancé or spouse

Hi

Could anyone offer me any advice

I met my Filipino boyfriend over 2 years ago when we worked together on a cruise ship, I am a British citizen. We are now a couple and next year want to try and apply for him to come to the uk. I don't know which visa would be the best option for us, is it better to marry in the Philippines and then try for a spouse visa or is it better to apply for a fiancé visa.

I am aware of the fianancial requirements and have a job due to start that will give me the 18,600 salary that I require. I live at home with my parents who have met my partner and this is where we will be living, they have a 4 bedroom house and it would just be the 4 of us living here.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated

Thanks

This was exactly the information I was looking for thank you very much for this post.

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo297 View Post
    This was exactly the information I was looking for thank you very much for this post.
    Be aware that it's now completely out of date.

Quote Originally Posted by rasc00 View Post

I previously wrote in June 2010 to the UK Manila Visa Dept to ask them if divorce was acceptable or did a person have to be annuled - they said to submit the Divorce papers - so it seems that divorce as opposed to annulment is allowed !
    I've highlighted the reason you've mentioned for the visa being refused. Was this the only explanation given? If so ... then it looks as though some confusion has arisen in the course of your earlier contact with the Visa Centre and/or VFS who initially handle applications on their behalf. Sure thing ... they'd ask you to submit the divorce papers. But equally, I'm pretty certain they would expect you to provide proof of annulment from the Phils end too!!

Does anyone know the answer - does a person have to be annuled or is a final divorce allowed to get a UK Settlement Visa?[/QUOTE]

Hi there.....

We have just been issued a settlement visa for my partner..

Both myself and my Filipina partner were married before. She has not had an annulment and I am only seperated and not divorced.

We did send in several leffers from both family and non family as character references stating the marriages are over and we will not be getting back together.

We also had to show eveidence we had been together at least 2 years ie joint bank accounts and joint rental agreemements.

Finally we applied for UNMARRIED Settlement VISA not Spouse or Fiancee....

Suggest you apply for Unmarried visa.......

Stuart

THE WURZEL----Hi Stuart, I am new to the site and have read your post. I am in the same situation as your fiance...was married in 1989 and was also separated in 1989, the marriage basically last for 3wks only and I have had no contact with him since then.
    Me and my partner have decided to apply for a fiance visa, had started our research and stumbled on this issue...
    Do you mind telling me exactly what you guys did? I tried to search for the UNMARRIED visa and couldn't find it
    I look forward to hearing from you

stuart are you saying you got a settlement visa for your partner even though she has,nt got annullment .if so you have just givin me hope although im divorced we have been together 2 years ive lived with her for 1 year in phillipines and just returned to uk .can you give me some idea on what to say in letters etc and do i apply on her behalf or does she have to do it from cebu thanks

Hi, I'm new to the site and I've read your post regarding the refusal of your fiance's visa. I'd like to ask if there was a rebuttal on this case or if it was finally approved? Did she declare on her application form that she was married?

I'll be glad to hear from you...

Thread Information