Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Unhappy civil status in passport dilemma

have a dilemma here. I will be lodging my visa application soon to go to UK but I have a problem. I'm married here in the Phil.last 2007. When I took a passport 2009, I failed to declare my married civil status bec.at that time no marriage record was found at NSO. It took a while for me and my husband to arrange our marriage papers so Ive decided to just place single because I really need a passport that time. Now, we managed to get our marriage cert.in NSO so I will declare to my visa application that Im married, however, I'm worried that they might question the civil status in my passport since I placed a single status 2009 yet on my marriage cert (which I will be submitting to the embassy) I'm married 2007. Will it affect my visa application even if I will now declare my married status given that I will use the same passport with single status? hopefully someone can help! thanks in advance

You should be sure there are not discrepancies in the documents, they will do cross checks and if errors or discrepancies are found you will be asked many questions.
    A discrepancy can be viewed as a honest mistake or an attempted fraud.
    We dealt with Canadian embassy and over a period of time we had to submit the documents twice to prove that everything was true and genuine.

it is not indicated in the passport wether ur single or married so that would not be a problem i guess..plus its a womans right to retain her maiden name even after marriage if she doesn't want to use her husbands surname..just always secure a marriage contract certificate and u be alright

When submitting your application, it might be a good idea to enclose a letter explaining the circumstances you found yourself in at the time ... and hence the reasons for the discrepancy ... as you've outlined in your introductory post. This, in turn, will lessen the likelihood of problems arising later.

to the forum, and good luck!

To stop your worries i would recommend that you get a new passport. Change of status and renewal of passport aswell. My passport was still valid but soon be applying for a spouse visa. So i decided to get it change the name for my own peace of mind too.

because you never know what its going to be like when you submit your application. Passporting is now by appointment as they will need your appearance for the biometric so its best to have a new one.

I had mine changed of name using my spouse name as i was going to apply for the visa. I wanted everything clear when they look at my papers and not raise any doubts and questions wherever you go.

Few things you need to do though if you want to change your status, that means you will have to use your spouse name and so you will have to attend the guidance and counselling from the CFO which is now required by the DFA for every applicant using foreign spouse's name.
    I'm a cruel and heartless bitch but I’m damn good at it!

Quote Originally Posted by -sillybilly- View Post
    To stop your worries i would recommend that you get a new passport. Change of status and renewal of passport aswell. My passport was still valid but soon be applying for a spouse visa. So i decided to get it change the name for my own peace of mind too.

because you never know what its going to be like when you submit your application. Passporting is now by appointment as they will need your appearance for the biometric so its best to have a new one.

I had mine changed of name using my spouse name as i was going to apply for the visa. I wanted everything clear when they look at my papers and not raise any doubts and questions wherever you go.

Few things you need to do though if you want to change your status, that means you will have to use your spouse name and so you will have to attend the guidance and counselling from the CFO which is now required by the DFA for every applicant using foreign spouse's name.
    for what i know, DFA is not requiring women to change their surname even when married so I decide to retain my maiden name. I really wanted to change/renew my passport however I cant because I already submitted a copy to the school and passport number will change if I renew.

Quote Originally Posted by gparry2007 View Post
    it is not indicated in the passport wether ur single or married so that would not be a problem i guess..plus its a womans right to retain her maiden name even after marriage if she doesn't want to use her husbands surname..just always secure a marriage contract certificate and u be alright
    yes, civil status is not indicated in my passport. However, Im not sure whether consuls can still check the biometrics submitted in my passport and that's whats worrying me

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    When submitting your application, it might be a good idea to enclose a letter explaining the circumstances you found yourself in at the time ... and hence the reasons for the discrepancy ... as you've outlined in your introductory post. This, in turn, will lessen the likelihood of problems arising later.

to the forum, and good luck!
    Thanks mr.moderator!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post

Always be 100% truthful and honest with your visa application, and explain everything in great detail.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post

Always be 100% truthful and honest with your visa application, and explain everything in great detail.
    very well said Boss you deserved another star

To Switchiq if you don't mind may I ask what kind of visa you are applying? Goodluck
    Don't make promises when you are in JOY. Don't reply when you are SAD.
    Don't take decisions when you are ANGRY. Think twice, Act wise. BE happy.

Quote Originally Posted by LEAHnew View Post
    very well said Boss you deserved another star

To Switchiq if you don't mind may I ask what kind of visa you are applying? Goodluck
    student visa. I'll declare my marriage because I know have a copy of our marriage license. The problem is how can I explain what happened when I pass my requirements.

I think you don't need to worry that much on your civil status as long as you mentioned you are married and submitted NSO Marriage certificate. If you still using your single name as what stated on your passport no problem with that.
    In a student visa I guess they are more focus on your finances and sponsor (If I'm not mistaken that's the school)... Good Luck again
    Don't make promises when you are in JOY. Don't reply when you are SAD.
    Don't take decisions when you are ANGRY. Think twice, Act wise. BE happy.

Quote Originally Posted by LEAHnew View Post
    I think you don't need to worry that much on your civil status as long as you mentioned you are married and submitted NSO Marriage certificate. If you still using your single name as what stated on your passport no problem with that.
    In a student visa I guess they are more focus on your finances and sponsor (If I'm not mistaken that's the school)... Good Luck again
    Thanks! I'll definitely declare that Im married with supporting docs. Hopefully, I will not be questioned though on the civil status ive placed when applying for a passport before.

If you change your civil status in DFA appointment alone would take you to one month,processing ten days so most likely your new passport would be released in almost 2 months.If you are not in a rush better go to DFA and bring all pertinent documents for the changing of your name and marriage status.Your passport is your personal identity so when u take it abroad it would help you a lot when it is already changed rather worrying on how to go about changing the status later.You will feel settled when you declare that you are married.One thing though, if you are married below six months to a foreigner you are required to attend a seminar.

Thread Information