Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Not sure at the moment, east midlands, rice farm or manila

Going to spain, do we need a visa with an ILR?

Basically folks as it says in the title. PLease excuse if this is a daft question and I know it covered already ish but...............The wife is on a Philippines passport with an ILR. Now on the spanish website it says that a dependant of an EU national can enter spain with a uk residence visa. Is this the same thing as an ILR? Or are we going to have to get a schengen visa?

Sorry if this seems an obvious question but I'm a touch tired at work and the ol grey matter ain't quite right.

Cheers
    It's been emontional

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Basically folks as it says in the title. PLease excuse if this is a daft question and I know it covered already ish but...............The wife is on a Philippines passport with an ILR. Now on the spanish website it says that a dependant of an EU national can enter spain with a uk residence visa. Is this the same thing as an ILR? Or are we going to have to get a schengen visa?

Sorry if this seems an obvious question but I'm a touch tired at work and the ol grey matter ain't quite right.

Cheers
    I believe ... although I could be wrong ... if your wife has ILR, then it means she's been granted Permanent Residence and shouldn't need a Schengen Visa to enter Spain. The only thing that MIGHT worry me is the fact that she is still using her Philippines passport. But whether this is likely to be a matter of concern to the immigration authorities, I can't be certain.

Banned
    I am afraid that it doesn't work that way.
    Your wife will need a Schengen Visa despite having ILR.
    She would be able to travel without it if she was a British citizen.

Only non EU partners of EU and Swiss Nationals living in the UK and in possession of residence card are able to travel to several Schengen countries together with the Partner.

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....006#post205006

Not sure at the moment, east midlands, rice farm or manila
    THanks aromulus. THought that was the case but wasn't too sure. I think spain is fairly easy to get a visa for isn't it?
    It's been emontional

Banned
    . I think spain is fairly easy to get a visa for isn't it?
    On the whole, I believe it is...

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    THanks aromulus. THought that was the case but wasn't too sure. I think spain is fairly easy to get a visa for isn't it?
    Unlike UK Spain has, I understand, signed an EU Directive that it is illegal to keep a family apart. That is the reason why when I asked in the Spanish consulate in Manila would I be able to get a visa so that my wife could live in Spain they looked at me as if were crazy, saying "Well where else would she live other than with you."

My wife now living with permanent residence in Spain must travel 500 mile round trip to Madrid, pay 150 euros and be interviewed, if she wants to go shopping with me in Gibraltar, let alone go with me on holiday to UK.

I think Spain will issue a Schengen Visa without any problems.

Thank you Spain !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    Unlike UK Spain has, I understand, signed an EU Directive that it is illegal to keep a family apart. That is the reason why when I asked in the Spanish consulate in Manila would I be able to get a visa so that my wife could live in Spain they looked at me as if were crazy, saying "Well where else would she live other than with you."

My wife now living with permanent residence in Spain must travel 500 mile round trip to Madrid, pay 150 euros and be interviewed, if she wants to go shopping with me in Gibraltar, let alone go with me on holiday to UK.

I think Spain will issue a Schengen Visa without any problems.

Thank you Spain !!!!!!!
    O' what a tangled web WE - or at least, the British Government - weave(s) ... Viva L'Espagna, John!

Thread Information