Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Red face General advice for trained filipino nurse seeking work in UK

Hi,

my girlfriend is a trained nurse in the philippines and currently works as a lecturer and clinical instructor. She has Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing, Master of Arts in Nursing and Major in Clinical Supervision and completed IELTS at band7.0

She would like to work in UK either full time, or part time and further her education. We will be living in Swansea/Cardiff. Can anyone please offer information detailing how best she can apply for work with the NHS? Ideally i need to know :

• Necessary visa
    • Any registration she needs to become a UK nurse
    • Who/Where to contact for vacancies open to filipinos in Swansea/Cardiff
    • What type of jobs she could aim for based on her qualifications and no experience in UK.

any further information will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

James

Trusted Member
    Welcome to the forum James
    If your gf wants to work in the UK she must register with the NMC (Nursing and Midwifery Council), which regulates all nurses and midwives working in the UK. They have a 19 page booklet "Registering as a nurse or midwife in the United Kingdom for applicants from countries outside the European Economic Area". Anyone applying must have been practising as a registered nurse or midwife for at least a year after qualifying. This means in Philippines hospital(s). Without this experience they say "you should not apply for registration". Even with all their requirements there is no guarantee of a job.
    Their website is: www.nmc-uk.org
    Another useful site is www.pnauk.org.uk which is the Philippine Nurses Association of UK.
    There are other relevant threads on this forum , and other members who know more than I do about visas, but this is a start !

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    so 1 yr in hospital? Even just as a trainee? My youngest bro is also a nurse and he's been having training in hospitals since he passed the board exam..he wants to work overseas though after the trainings..

Hi James!

She need to register with the NMC and they will need her IELTS result.

She should have atleast 3 years working in a hospital settings.

There is an agency called Jaikin Resources Corporation. She can find out more if she search on the internet. They recruit nurses to the Uk and they have just employed 100 nurses last april. Dont know about in Cardiff though.

Hope that helps.
    I'm a cruel and heartless bitch but I’m damn good at it!

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    so 1 yr in hospital? Even just as a trainee? My youngest bro is also a nurse and he's been having training in hospitals since he passed the board exam..he wants to work overseas though after the trainings..
    Many nurses from Philippines do want to work overseas. if your brother has passed the Board examination then he is a registered nurse even if he is still "training" - most professions require continuing professional development for the entire career. The NMC states: " When you apply you must have been practising as a registered nurse or midwife for at least 12 months (full-time or the part-time equivalent) after qualifying". They go on to say : " Once registered with the NMC, you can work in the National Health Service or private health. The employment climate in the UK is very changeable. We cannot help you find a job or give you references from any of the information you give us".
    A filipina nurse told me this morning "Jobs are harder to find in the UK because of the new Prime Minister" . They haven't been easy to find for some time That's why the NMC takes no further responsibility but simply takes the registration ("administration") fee

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by -sillybilly- View Post

She should have atleast 3 years working in a hospital settings.

That's news to me

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    That's news to me
    4 years ago they only required atleast 2 years of experienced in a hospital.
    And now its 3 years plus a big advantage is when they have a few volunteered experienced in a community hospital / government hospital.
    I'm a cruel and heartless bitch but I’m damn good at it!

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by -sillybilly- View Post
    4 years ago they only required atleast 2 years of experienced in a hospital.
    And now its 3 years plus a big advantage is when they have a few volunteered experienced in a community hospital / government hospital.
    The three years is a full time course leading to registration as a general nurse. The NMC states : "For all three year nursing courses, at least half (or 2300 hours) must be in clinical or practical training, and at least one third (or 1533 hours) must be theoretical training". Then it's a year or more in hospital(s) after qualifying, as I have already said It's all on the NMC website

wow,, thanks everyone for your replies - sorry have not replied sooner,, have been offline due to change of service provider

i will read through them all now,, just wanted to say thank you first

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by james_joe90 View Post
    wow,, thanks everyone for your replies - sorry have not replied sooner,, have been offline due to change of service provider

i will read through them all now,, just wanted to say thank you first
    you weren't with talk talk were you?

ok,, i understand.

What's frustrating is she has been working in philippine hospitals but as a lecturer and clinical instructor - she is beyond the skills of a standard nurse... unfortunately they do not consider her current employment.

Will contact the agency sillybilly recommended

thanks again,, will keep let you know any progress

one last thought - what if i marry my girlfriend? does that help

nope, was with Pipex,, but switched to Orange for package deal,, considered Sky but freeview is anough for my busy lifestyle

im also here in the Philippines and will soon get a student visa for ONP. Im still waiting for NMC decision letter. I'm a nurse volunteer/trainee for 1 year in a dialysis clinic. Do you think i will get a sponsor once there?

what if I don't meet the required number of hours for the practical training? do you have any idea whether the NMC would reconsider? Coz I'm currently processing my registration to the NMC, and it's only last week that I came to know about the required hours, though I'm aware of the 3-year course (we have 4years). I'm currently working as a staff nurse and my post-registration experience is already close to 3years. I would appreciate any response.. Thank you!

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Precious May View Post
    what if I don't meet the required number of hours for the practical training? do you have any idea whether the NMC would reconsider? I would appreciate any response.. Thank you!
    Hi Precious May ! Welcome to the Forum I really think it's best to approach the NMC direct about this. It would be helpful to others if you could post their response

Thread Information