Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Travel abroad on spouse visa

Hi,

I would like to ask if anyone here knows what regulations there are on travelling outside of the UK after arriving on a spouse visa.

My wife arrived here in March, and we are hoping to return to the Philippines in September/October for 2 or 3 months, however I was unsure if having arrived in the UK my wife will need to remain here for the entire duration of the visa (which seems unlikely) and if presuming it is fine to return to the Philipines if we would need to give prior notification to the home office of her intent to leave the country for a period of time, or if there are likely to be any complications with re-entry to the UK.

I have tried to find this out myself but the home office site doesnt give information on this particular aspect (as far as I could see) and contacting them by phone seems to constantly re-direct me to another number, so I thought I would perhaps be best served to enquire on the knowledge of this forum.

thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkie View Post
    Hi,

I would like to ask if anyone here knows what regulations there are on travelling outside of the UK after arriving on a spouse visa.

My wife arrived here in March, and we are hoping to return to the Philippines in September/October for 2 or 3 months, however I was unsure if having arrived in the UK my wife will need to remain here for the entire duration of the visa (which seems unlikely) and if presuming it is fine to return to the Philipines if we would need to give prior notification to the home office of her intent to leave the country for a period of time, or if there are likely to be any complications with re-entry to the UK.

I have tried to find this out myself but the home office site doesnt give information on this particular aspect (as far as I could see) and contacting them by phone seems to constantly re-direct me to another number, so I thought I would perhaps be best served to enquire on the knowledge of this forum.

thanks in advance.
    She is free to travel to the Philippines any time she wants although there is a restriction on how long she is out of the country each year and that could make a difference with regard to her ILR application.

Banned
    she can be away from the UK for a maximum of 90 days in the next 2 years... that's what i can remember though.

If I remeber tin (member here) she posted that she stay in phil while the husband working abroad,but she grant an ILR,and another member now staying in Malaysia because the husband there is working as well, but she got her ILR with no problem

there is no set maximum number of days you need to be in the UK to get ILR, but the UK is suppose to be your HOME, i think the ECO can use their discretion.

but there are a set maximum number of days you can be out of the UK to apply for citizenship.

Residential requirements

In order to demonstrate the residential requirements for naturalisation you need to:

* have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least three years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
    * have been present in the United Kingdom three years before the date of your application; and
    * have not spent more than 270 days outside the United Kingdom during the three-year period; and
    * have not spend more than 90 days outside the United Kingdom in the last 12 months of the three-year period; and
    * have not been in breach of the immigration rules at any stage during the three-year period.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...tnerofcitizen/

so if we go off the guidelines for citizenship (270 days / 3yrs) = max of 90 days a year outside the UK you shouldn't have a problem getting ILR.

but if you have a valid reason you could get away with having more days out of the uk, but like i said there is no exact figure, so to be safe try not to be out of the uk more than 90 days a year and you shouldn't have a problem getting ILR or Citizenship
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    I commend you for having your finger on the pulse once again, Joe

Quote Originally Posted by aposhark View Post
    I commend you for having your finger on the pulse once again, Joe
    it pays to do a bit of research , i don't like paying for visa's , that's why i've never had a refusal
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by Florge View Post
    she can be away from the UK for a maximum of 90 days in the next 2 years... that's what i can remember though.
    with Florge ... in which case, this would fit-in comfortably with the proposed duration of your stay - if you were to return to the UK perhaps a few days earlier than planned. But - as Iain has warned - BE careful not to exceed the maximum time-limit!

Thank you for the comprehensive replies, the link provided also gives some good reading material which I couldnt seem to find when navigating the site, many thanks joebloggs.

Thread Information