Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: homesick

Newbie (Restricted Access)

homesick

My wife is so emotional this morning and just cried while we were talking about her life in the Philippines and here in UK.

I noticed when I got up this morning and tried to kiss her that she is bit grumpy.
    But when I come downstairs she is there already facing her laptop.
    She then sat beside me and I asked why she is grumpy.
    She just said coz I turn my back on her and I said that’s not true I even cuddled you this morning and she said yeah you did but after that u turn your back on me.

I still didn’t understand but I just stopped my self to ask more.
    She started saying that she is bored here.
    She said she has very low self esteem and thought that living here will help her gain confidence.
    She said she feel so useless here and can’t even understand people most of the time.
    She said Her life in Philippines is better coz even if sometimes she is alone if she gets bored she just go SM and eat Jollibee or just go out for window shopping she is happy already and she said but here I cant even ride bus on my own and cant go town on my own. So I said so why wont you and she said I am shy and worried I might not understand them.

And then she said she don’t feel good today and she feel sick and said in the Philippines if I get sick my mum looks after me but here no one looks after me coz u are working. In Philippines my mum cooks for me and no one can look after me better as much as my mum does.

I said yeah its nice that your mum pampers you and look after you when u are sick but you are adult now and u should learn to live without your mum and learn to look after your self. We raised and taught our kids here to be independent in an early age but I think that’s the way it should be coz look at you, your 26 and you cant even sleep alone coz your still scared.
    And she said but we love our parents more than you do here.
    You don’t even want to live with your mum and then she started crying.
    I asked her why are you crying she said coz I am bored here and while I am talking to her she is just quite and listening but when I looked at her face she is still crying and look so sad and upset so I asked her again why your crying so much today? And she said coz I miss philippines.
    I never saw her cried like that before. She arrived here October 18 last year and the first day she arrived here she was just teary eye and cried when she phone her mum to let her know we arrive safe, but that’s it, she never cried after that until today and she didn’t even cried that much as much as she did today.
    She didn’t even cried when we were at cebu airport and her family was there to say goodbye to us.
    She said she don’t want to cry coz it will just make everyone cry too.

She is always happy and sweet and always run in the front door everytime she heard my car in the drive way. Always welcome me home with a big hug and lots of kisses and last night even asked me to carry her from the front door to the living room.
    So I really thought she is happy and settling down, but then sad to say that im wrong.

Banned
    Maybe she's been bottling these feelings up since she arrived, putting on a brave face for when you walk through the door. What she' s saying to you now is quite common - what I gather from reading other threads on here - in the first few weeks. Having arrived last october she's had plenty of time to settle. I would ask her if there's anything you can do to make her feel more at home, apart from building a Jollibee

You'll probably get the usual suggestions here - find her hobbies, hook her up with other pinays. If you've got your heart set on settling together in the UK I hope you can find a way so she feels more at home

Is she talking to other Filipina's here in the UK? If not why not, plenty on here who chat to each other
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Respected Member
    Mick, maybe it would be good for her to meet some other Filipina who could help and advise her over her issues. I'm not sure where you are, but i'm sure my other half would be happy to meet up with her and chat.

Without knowing the real circumstances, I would start from letting her know and showing her how loved she is and how much you appreciate the commitment she has made by leaving her home country...................Why does she have low self esteem???and feel useless??
    As I say for me it would be to let her know the love and honour that you have for her, reasssure her, and go from there, to be honest if she's 26 she's still young and has made an enormous leap of faith by coming here...........without knowing the circumstances thats my opinion.....Take care

Respected Member
    To be honest, with Marvie. She was a little nervous like that when she arrived, I took her on the bus, got her timetables and showed her around and now she's happy and uses the bus and train to dissapear all over the place while I'm out.
    I introduced her to the church, and that has helped her make a lot of friends and meet people.

I was Like that, the day when we arrived here I cried and I thought this is it I couldn`t just ride a jeepney going back home.I am pretty much same as your wife it took me over 6 months to go to town on my own and ride a bus.I was so bored that I have asked my other half if I could look for a job coz I was so bored that I was so depressed specially on winter months I was like a puppy looking at the window reminiscing my life back at the philippines imagining people outside the house playing cards and even drinking alcoholic bevarages when theres a party at the neighborhood or even a funeralIts really difficult specially if you don`t have friends and as well as hobbies but thanks to God I manage it and feel settled am more than 3 years in uk and had a vacation back home but I wanting to comeback here again.so it`ll take sometime for your wife to settle down just be patience for her...
    to loved and beloved is the greatest joy on earth...

she talks to her family online almost everyday and she has a filipina friend here that speaks thesame dialect as her.

She went out with her 4 times and her friend introduced her with other filipina. She said she likes her but she don’t want to spend her money that’s why she don’t go out with her often. She is just so shy and last week, the first time she went to the doctor to joined she was so nervous and worried she might not understand them there when her english is very good. But after her first visit she is happy and said the staff there are friendly.

Last week also my daughter mentioned to us that her best friend and her grand dad thinks my wife is a mail order bride and asked her how much i paid to marry her and it made my wife so upset. She said you really think very low of me here. She said she needs to work coz my family might think bad about her and she said how can i work anyway when i dont have qualification and u dont allow me to.

She said that she is always at home when she was in the Philippines but atleast she has her sister, sister in law and her mum and neice with her and then her auntie just live a few steps from there house. But here she always alone, she don’t have freedom and she just talks to our parrot.

I know that she wants to work but I didn’t allow her at first but then I said she can if she really wants too but i wont be happy about it.
    She said she wont work then if it will just upset me.
    She also wants to go college where my daughter belongs to but told her that she can study online instead of going college here.

I don’t know but I think this are the reasons she is upset with me

There's simple solution to the problem...if for the slightest moment u think shes sad or going to be sad pay her 100% of your attention until u think the situation has passed.,,this will saved u one hell of a lot of time and hassle...
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

with the others' responses. It could well be she's suffering from some form of delayed reaction to a number of factors ... for instance, I've just been reading the *thread posted by your wife last autumn - at which time she'd been in the process of applying for her spousal visa. In *it she highlighted conflicting evidence with regard to the receipt of your divorce papers at the British Embassy in Manila. Clearly, the matter was quickly resolved - since she came to the UK on October 18.

As if that weren't a stressful enough experience, consider this: As a young woman in her mid-20s living in the Philippines, it's doubtful she'd had much [if any] occasion to venture far from her familial surroundings - yet suddenly she finds herself uprooted to a "strange country", thousands of miles away from the only lifestyle she's ever known. Then, within a few short weeks, the UK was plunged into one of the most winters for more than a decade.

You haven't provided us with any clues as to where you reside. But I should imagine there are likely to be other Filipinas within reasonable travelling distance - especially if you are a town or city dweller. Encourage your wife to go out and make new friends ... (they needn't necessarily be of the same nationality!) ... because (as you and I both know) Filipinos are very sociable people who have a natural ability to mix well with others and can integrate themselves with relative ease into whichever communities they choose to settle. Admittedly, MY wife is twice the age of yours - but you'd be amazed at the number of people who have befriended her since she arrived here in Perth just over a year ago! So talk to your Mahal ... about ... well, anything and everything ... in the way you probably did when you first met; perhaps suggest she might like to become involved in voluntary work, for example. And above all show how much you love and cherish her.

Take her to a catholic church in a local town, you usually find other Filipina's. Put her on here & FB.

BTW, I would like to take this opportunity to you to our midst.

Quote Originally Posted by bbmick View Post
    She said that she is always at home when she was in the Philippines but atleast she has her sister, sister in law and her mum and neice with her and then her auntie just live a few steps from there house. But here she always alone, she don’t have freedom and she just talks to our parrot.

I know that she wants to work but I didn’t allow her at first but then I said she can if she really wants too but i wont be happy about it.
    She also wants to go college where my daughter belongs to but told her that she can study online instead of going college here.

I guess its not homesickness..shes sick of being home all the time..
    let her go out and adapt to your world
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    There's simple solution to the problem...if for the slightest moment u think shes sad or going to be sad pay her 100% of your attention until u think the situation has passed.,,this will saved u one hell of a lot of time and hassle...
    Hows he going to do that if he's at work all day

Quote Originally Posted by triple5 View Post
    Hows he going to do that if he's at work all day
    He can hire me

Respected Member
    It does concern me that your saying you don't allow her to work, and you don't want her to goto college. Surely thats taking away her freedom of choice?

Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    It does concern me that your saying you don't allow her to work, and you don't want her to goto college. Surely thats taking away her freedom of choice?
    She can work from home like my wife... every time you ....leave some money under the pillow for her

.... ....please tell me that's normal ...... old habits die hard

Respected Member
    haha, my missus likes the idea of working, but thats about it. She doesn't understand alarm clocks and thinks that 11am is the start of the day... Internet, TV, shopping are all a fulltime occupation for her.

Banned
    Last week also my daughter mentioned to us that her best friend and her grand dad thinks my wife is a mail order bride and asked her how much i paid to marry her and it made my wife so upset.
    My girl would also be very sensitive is she were ever subjected to such narrow minded remarks, hence why I'd probably never consider going down that route now as I know what people are like where I live.

As Ricky says, you stopping her from working/going college maybe making her resentful towards you. How come you don't want her to anyway? I think most would get bored talking to a parrot all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    She can work from home like my wife... every time you ....leave some money under the pillow for her

.... ....please tell me that's normal ...... old habits die hard
    aha!u give me a nice idea boss.even i have no works i still earn a lot of by doing this

Quote Originally Posted by Ana_may365 View Post
    aha!u give me a nice idea boss.even i have no works i still earn a lot of by doing this
    Ana..... my vision of sweet innocent Ana has been shot

Respected Member maria_and_matt's Avatar
    im afraid that after 17 years here i still miss home and family terribly. i think for now all you can do is maybe take time off work and take her for a holiday around the UK, if you take her back to the philippines now it is gonna make things worse when she comes back here. and also tell her not to take notice of the mail to order bride comment.

get her on here too
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, the courage to change the things i can and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people i had to kill because they pissed me off.

Banned
    It's normal to feel homesick as we have really different way of living here.
    I feel the same, but always think we are already married and we need to make ourself busy especially with hubby.

I am thankful that me and hubby are both outgoing and he gives me freedom financially and go out with friends.

I have 3 days off in a week. Once a week I go out with hubby for a weekend date and one day for my friends shopping/dinner out. One day stay at home for PC edit my website and chat with family.
    Four days making money to strive well for an annual break in Pinas.

That makes me feel better now. I hope she can find a true genuine friend, a husband with sense of humour as it trully helps not to feel bored in this freezing cold country.

Like the Ladies say get her on here. It is tough in the UK but she needs people who understand her where she has come from and her situation now.

Your age says your 26 may I ask how old is your Wife? My Wife was 21 when she got here and she had some tough days at first and still has days where she feels low as we all do to be honest where ever we are in the world.

Its very easy at work to get engrossed at work again I dont know what u do but is it possible to be online on your mobile or even your phone. Sms her now and then or emails?

Dont need to be long just chit chat. It may inconvenice u as it did me but it meant a lot to the Wife.
    You need to get her mobile I dont know where u live and the public transport but as the summer months it should be easy. Can u get a days pass with some cash and a telephone number of a few cab companies just in case?

On your days off dont take her out in the car get on the Bus with her and travel to the town centre/s. Does she like swiming/gym or some form of sports actvity can u go with her untill she feels at home there? Exercise will help as will social interaction.

Also she needs a job or something to do. Can she work in A charity shop the Wife loved this when she first got here it got her loads of bits to send home

My wife in october 2005 and she was looking for a job by jan and travelling on her own but that was London. It was very tough on herself but she met people and now knows more people in our local town than I do

Mick get her and you on this site and let us help you ok Sir
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

she talks to her family online almost everyday and she has a filipina friend here that speaks thesame dialect as her.

She went out with her 4 times and her friend introduced her with other filipina. She said she likes her but she don’t want to spend her money that’s why she don’t go out with her often. She is just so shy and last week, the first time she went to the doctor to joined she was so nervous and worried she might not understand them there when her english is very good. But after her first visit she is happy and said the staff there are friendly.

Last week also my daughter mentioned to us that her best friend and her grand dad thinks my wife is a mail order bride and asked her how much i paid to marry her and it made my wife so upset. She said you really think very low of me here. She said she needs to work coz my family might think bad about her and she said how can i work anyway when i dont have qualification and u dont allow me to.

Just re read this post seriously u wont let her work or go to college?

I know it costs a lot but why not? You just want her to sit at home and do nothing?

Blimey i'm sure like me you have had a few days where u were stuck in doors and went stir crazy let alone months.

Sorry if it sounds a bit harsh just telling u as i see it
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

My wife is so emotional this morning and just cried while we were talking about her life in the Philippines and here in UK......
    This might be a curved ball but I am wondering if she is pregnant as this plays havoc with your hormones.

It's in the Filipino culture to be dependent on family in a way we're not. They simply do not understand the concept of independence as we know it. She's never going to behave as an English woman would (not living with her mother etc).

Is there a local Filipino Association near you? There is one near me, and they organise all sorts of social events, badminton etc.

There are lots of Brits that move abroad that have to come to terms with the fact that its just not for them..They miss their country and not happy so they simply return to the UK for ever and ever..
    I understand her feelings because I felt the same every time I returned back to the UK and Im British!!!!
    My situation was the reverse of yours as my wife had no intention of going back to P.I and was perfectly happy there..
    It was me that was pining for Asia and the land of smiles!!
    Got my way in the end though eh!!
    Happy days!!

She had pregnancy test this morning ( strips ) and english rose is right she is pregnant. Now i know why she is so emotional. When we saw the 2 red lines she was just staring at me and its like she is going to cry again lol. I am so happy but last night when we were at tesco for our weekly shopping she is moaning that she is feed up with the food here and how she misses ripe mango and philippine fish and lots of philippine food.

Banned
    She had pregnancy test this morning ( strips ) and english rose is right she is pregnant. Now i know why she is so emotional. When we saw the 2 red lines she was just staring at me and its like she is going to cry again lol. I am so happy but last night when we were at tesco for our weekly shopping she is moaning that she is feed up with the food here and how she misses ripe mango and philippine fish and lots of philippine food.
    Have a check here where to buy filipino foods near you.

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....filipino+foods

Also, I think you can buy online and btw, congratulations to you both

Case sorted
    Congratulation Check the Culture and food section you may find it helpful for her cravings
    Don't make promises when you are in JOY. Don't reply when you are SAD.
    Don't take decisions when you are ANGRY. Think twice, Act wise. BE happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information