Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Unhappy New Bank charges?

As from last friday, BDO Banks started charging 200 peso's for every time a foreign card is used in their hole in the wall machines. Given most English cards will only let you take £300 out on one day, this is about 20,000 peso's @ a limit of 5,000 peso's a time and so your getting 800 peso's in charges now per day. Plus, with English charges on top and it soon mounts up. Plus the pound seems to be in freefall against the peso (68+ peso's to the pound) at the moment, so it could be an expensive time for the forseable future (Xe currency exchange)

Ouch!! Cant you use another banks ATM?

Unfortunately, they all now seem to be charging between 150 - 200 peso's per transaction...I've tried 3 banks here in Maasin city and they all are now charging...

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    BPI and MetroBank and maybe others have been charging 3.5 US $ for withdrawals with Nationwide Visa, cash and debit cards, for quite sometime. Only those showing a VISA symbol are free.

Yet another way to get foreign money in the country ..... I don't blame them though, banks are a business, and it's the exchange rate that is the real killer, and that I'm afraid is down to Gordon doing sod all to protect it.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

why not open a bank account in the philippines?

Yeah the rates are horrible!!
    and the maximum of every withdrawal in ATM machines here in ph is limited to £300 in a day
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    Yeah the rates are horrible!!
    and the maximum of every withdrawal in ATM machines here in ph is limited to £300 in a day
    The max withdrawal in Europe is also £300 per day but when I need to make a transfer from my UK bank (Nationwide) of more than £300 I can draw up to 5,000, not sure euros or pounds but not much difference now, over the counter in my Spanish savings bank. I have done it on several occasions for amounts over £1,000 and either taken the cash or taken some I n cash and paid some into my account.

This may be possible in Phil as well. Has anybody tried ?

Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    The max withdrawal in Europe is also £300 per day but when I need to make a transfer from my UK bank (Nationwide) of more than £300 I can draw up to 5,000, not sure euros or pounds but not much difference now, over the counter in my Spanish savings bank. I have done it on several occasions for amounts over £1,000 and either taken the cash or taken some I n cash and paid some into my account.

Am using my husbands Nationwide debit card and it only make me took around £300 or 20t pesos in a day not in a single ATM machine but u have to hop from one to another machine to accumulate the 20t pesos that means every withdrawal from a machine is another withdrawal charge

We have withdrawn over a million pesos on a number of occasions via PNB Tagbilaran for land purchases etc direct from the counter. Im pretty sure people here do it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    We have withdrawn over a million pesos on a number of occasions via PNB Tagbilaran for land purchases etc direct from the counter. Im pretty sure people here do it all the time.
    .. did you hire any body guards , like the pretty filipina security guards who wear them nice unifroms

how things going the phils fred? more difficult than you thought or easier ?

Respected Member
    Am using my husbands Nationwide debit card and it only make me took around £300 or 20t pesos in a day not in a single ATM machine but u have to hop from one to another machine to accumulate the 20t pesos that means every withdrawal from a machine is another withdrawal charge
    My wife's cousin regularly draws £300 in Pesos from a (0ne single) VISA ATM and wth NO CHARGE

On the subject of Bank Charges: I've raised this issue before on the forum ... but believe it's worthy of mention again. Anyone contemplating taking Travellers Cheques in US dollars to the Phils would be well-advised to think again. The only place it seems to be possible to encash those, is Metrobank ... and THEY will charge $4 a time for the privilege; i.e., NOT per transaction - but for EACH CHEQUE exchanged.

So BE warned!

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Yet another way to get foreign money in the country ..... I don't blame them though, banks are a business, and it's the exchange rate that is the real killer, and that I'm afraid is down to Gordon doing sod all to protect it.
    He wants lower will help exports
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Thats me everytime the Wife n Family go to the Shopping mall
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    .. did you hire any body guards , like the pretty filipina security guards who wear them nice unifroms

how things going the phils fred? more difficult than you thought or easier ?
    Much easier than expected Joe..

yes you right fred i'v done it and specially if you have privilege account in PNB
    all things are possible!

My wife's cousin regularly draws £300 in Pesos from a (0ne single) VISA ATM and wth NO CHARGE
    Woow thats lucky..NO CHARGES? is it also a Nationwide debit card shes using? i need to know the bank name please

Respected Member
    Woow thats lucky..NO CHARGES? is it also a Nationwide debit card shes using? i need to know the bank name please
    Its a CASH CARD, but the bad news is that from June they will start charging, unless we can change their mind.

So come on guys, even if you are not a customer a quick line to Nationwide please. Graham.Beale@nationwide.co.uk is their CEO.

Respected Member
    Its a CASH CARD, but the bad news is that from June they will start ch

So come on guys, even if you are not a customer a quick line to Nationwide. Graham.Beale@nationwide.co.uk is their CEO.

Not sure if this is possible now. Can you say the name of the bank please? Thanks.

Respected Member
    Its a CASH CARD, but the bad news is that from June they will start ch

So come on guys, even if you are not a customer a quick line to Nationwide. Graham.Beale@nationwide.co.uk is their CEO.

Can you say the name of the bank please?
    to find Visa ATMs go to:- http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/global/ (10 listed in Cebu)

I think he uses a EXPRESS TELLER ATM

Respected Member
    Please see this thread:-

Nationwide abolishing cash card for us !!!!

I think he uses a EXPRESS TELLER ATM

BPI EXPRESS TELLER ATM is also charging for every visa card withdrawal

Respected Member
    BPI EXPRESS TELLER ATM is also charging for every visa card withdrawal
    Its a CASH CARD, but the bad news is that from June they will start charging

Please see my ref to Nationwide and Cash Cards. Its not that they are going to charge but that they are NOW going to abolish/cancel them. I have requested that people write and complain so that the decision may be reversed.

thread:- http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....ght=nationwide

Its a CASH CARD, but the bad news is that from June they will start charging

Please see my ref to Nationwide and Cash Cards. Its not that they are going to charge but that they are NOW going to abolish/cancel them. I have requested that people write and complain so that the decision may be reversed.

thread:- http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....ght=nationwide

It will be a complete waste of time...we just gonna find a new bank who will give us better options ...

Respected Member
    It will be a complete waste of time...we just gonna find a new bank who will give us better options ...
    Well if everyone were to say that about everything no one would take the trouble here to try and help anyone and the the whole thing would collapse.

Its ONLY by bringing our wishes to notice that we can explain what our view is and what we want.

Not wanting to get into 'politics' but the Rail Union almost brought about a nationwide (no pun intended) strike by 'loosing' 300 votes and getting `non existent`votes from workers in burnt out signal boxes.

Telling people what we want does work, not telling means we are ignored.

Its better to have tried and to have failed than to have done nothing.

Incidentally, "we just gonna find a new bank who will give us better options"

OK tell us of even one bank which provides exchange rates at just about inter bank rate, with a free card, the use of which cannot be abused, with no charges either end, and OK I'll go down your route ! Problem is I don't believe there is one.

So guys, please drop a line to Nationwide, it will take but a few minutes and there is is good chance that if enough do it they will re-think.

Thanks.

Well if everyone were to say that about everything no one would take the trouble here to try and help anyone and the the whole thing would collapse.
    Excuse me Johncar,i guessed u are mixed-up ?? am not referring to anyone but the Nationwide which u have said they are going to abolish cash cards and IMO ' its a complete waste of time for me and hubby' ...why do we have to email somebody we didn't know just to reverse their policy??..when they imply rules its got to be effective and immediate and its being worked on not just by one person but the corporate...and one more, its a private company and nothing we can do about it...
    I have worked with banks before so i know that they got their own strategies and techniques in sales which is to give better deals and in the end u have to bring back the great deals with them.
    So , I as a customer/client or as an individual person is entitled to find a better options..better deals..new bank/company to suit my needs.

Respected Member
    Sorry, I have highlighted parts in blue, as I do not understand what you meant
    Excuse me Johncar,i guessed u are mixed-up ?? (I ? ) am not referring to anyone but the Nationwide which u have said (they ) are going to abolish cash cards and (IMO ? ) ' its a complete waste of time for me and hubby' ...why do we have to email somebody we didn't know just to reverse their policy??.. When they imply rules its got to be effective and immediate and its being worked on not just by one person but the corporate...and one more, its a private company and nothing we can do about it...
    I have worked with banks before so i know that they got their own strategies and techniques in sales which is to give better deals and in the end u have to bring back the great deals with them.
    So , I as a customer/client or as an individual person is entitled to find a better options..better deals..new bank/company to suit my needs.
    I appreciate that you think 'I am mixed up' although I am not sure what you mean by that as, to me, your post is unclear.

Firstly, I very much doubt that the CEO of any large organisation has very much day to day knowledge of what goes on at every level in their company. I have over many years had things changed when I have contacted a senior executive in a company. Most effectively say, that they cannot believe their company could be so inefficient / out of touch with reality.

An example: Just recently I opened a joint account in Gibraltar with Norwich and Peterborough Building Soc. I had been told that to open such an account both myself and my wife MUST go in person to the branch. As it was in Gib my wife was not permitted to enter Gib without a Visa. An email to their CEO caused them to amend their requirements and my wife is now a joint account holder even though she has not been in Gib. Things can be changed !

I spent most of my working life in the Police Service in UK, over the 30 years, as I became more aware of public needs and the inefficiencies of internal systems I caused many changes, which people had previously thought 'were written in stone.'

If you cannot be bothered to drop a line to Nationwide to help those of us affected OK, although that would have taken much less of your time than your comments here have taken. However, I can understand that, even if my reaction to such a request would be different!

Thread Information