Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Spain, marriage registration

Hi all, I'm Nona and currently living in Madrid Spain with my husband for over 2 years now. We're having a problem regarding my legal status here. We got married in Bangkok, Thailand last Sept. 2007 but due to lack of knowledge that we have to register our marriage to the Phil. Embassy there, we're still considered as not married.

I applied for a tourist visa in the Philippines to come here in Spain and when we try to get my "Comunitaria" (NIE no.) they asked for a translation of my marriage certificate from Thai to Spanish which is the problem because for some odd reason, the Thai Embassy here has no service for translation and the Thai Embassy seems not bother to help us at all.

Anyways if there is anybody who has the same situation as I am now pls. share some input. I am actually looking for MR. JOHCAR54 on which I stumbled upon the thread about: SPAIN, MARRIAGE REGISTRATION and his post goes like this:

johncar54
    25th November 2008, 07:27
    I know this is primarily for UK but I would like to help a person whom I have been in contact with who is having a problem in Spain. He married in Phil and he is now in Spain with his wife. He has hit a stumbling block which I have not been aware of previously. It certainly did not apply to my wife when she came to Spain a couple of years ago. I have pasted below the email I received in September; he has just told me he has not found a solution. I would be grateful if anyone can throw any light on the problem.

Email dated Sept.

We submitted Gina's application for her Residencia today only to be told that the marriage certificate is not acceptable unless registered in the UK. The registrar in the UK tells us there is no provision to register them there.
    The British Consul in Alicante tells us they are aware of the issue and there is discussion between the British Embassy in Madrid, the Foreign office in London and the Spanish Embassy.

Thanks, John

So hope to hear from either Mr. John or to anybody who can also share some views regarding my queries would be much appreciated.
    You can either chat with me or send me an email at: nonaDOTnewbyATyahoo.com.

Thanks for your time and have a nice day to all.

Yours,
    Nona

are you sure the Thai embassy in Spain can not translate it ?, if not, why don't you ask the Thai embassy in Spain, if you get a professional translation service to translate your Thai marriage cert to Spanish if they will stamp it as true and certified, then ask the Spanish gov if that is acceptable

... follow Joe Bloggs' advice; , and ... 'be lucky', Nona!

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by luckynona View Post
    ............. I am actually looking for MR. JOHCAR54 on which I stumbled upon the thread about: SPAIN, MARRIAGE REGISTRATION and his post goes like this:

Thanks for your time and have a nice day to all. Nona

Hi, Nona (you are lucky ! ) I am johncar54.. I do not know the answer to this, I will make some enquiries and will email you direct.

If I get anything which I think will be of use to others I will post it here too.

PS Nona, I tried to send an email but it was returned. I also tried to send a message within this URL but it said I could not. I have added you as a friend in my contacts so maybe you can send me a message or try johncar61 'in a hotplace'

Thread Information