Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Unaccompanied minor and Education in UK

hello to all,

I kindly request your advice please, My daughter was born 1993 and already 16 years of age, i was just wondering if she can travel alone to come here to the UK to join me if she's holding a dependents visa, in case, i will not be able to go back to the philippines and travel with her. I know there is a meet and assist option for an unaccompanied minor, but i was just worried she might have problems at the Airport.

My second question is about the education here in UK, if she is to come and live w/ me here in UK, she's 16 years old and completed her secondary school in the Philippines, does she still needs to attend the Secondary School here or she can enroll in College?

Thank you all in advance.
    "Chains do not hold a marriage together.It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years.That is what makes a marriage last - more than passion or even sex..."

sorry, this was posted twice.
    "Chains do not hold a marriage together.It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years.That is what makes a marriage last - more than passion or even sex..."

Respected Member South-east boy's Avatar
    Sorry, that I can't help much but there should be people on here that can. I would think that it would be college as most finish school after they take exams between 16-18 depending on what exams they do, but they would have been working for those exams for the 2 years leading up to them. Do you know what your daughter would like do to work-wise in the future? Most colleges/Universities will require certain UK exam results for anyone wanting to do a course, but obviously students come from abroad to study here so it can be done. I'm not sure what the best way would be to find out? Maybe see what she wants to study, then find local colleges where she might be able to study that, then ring them to find out about whether she would qualify for the course or not. Best to sort out her Visa/travelling here first though.

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    At 16 you are no longer classified as a 'minor' according to the airlines.

Respected Member
    16? That's old already. My son came here alone at age 9. He was assisted by the airline personnels, no problem. Just ask her to bring school records. School here needs to see those.

My two are at school here in the P.I but were thinking of putting them into a British school for their last 2/3 secondary years as they will probably need GCSE`s and A levels to be accepted in a UK Uni..
    Still...I would be interested to see if this thread explains the policies of UK higher education to those from abroad seeing that we now have so many doing this!!

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    My two are at school here in the P.I but were thinking of putting them into a British school for their last 2/3 secondary years as they will probably need GCSE`s and A levels to be accepted in a UK Uni..
    Still...I would be interested to see if this thread explains the policies of UK higher education to those from abroad seeing that we now have so many doing this!!
    I think I read somewhere that the kids have to be living in the UK for about three years beforehand to qualify to pay normal british uni course fees, if they don't they have to pay international student fees.

Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    I think I read somewhere that the kids have to be living in the UK for about three years beforehand to qualify to pay normal british uni course fees, if they don't they have to pay international student fees.
    Categories for ‘home’ fees: students who are entitled to 'home' fees
    General

If you fit into one of the following categories, an institution must charge you ‘home’ fees. This is only a brief summary of persons who must be charged at the ‘home’ fee rate. If your course is further education, check the information in Special provisions, especially if it seems that none of the categories below apply to you.

If you are unsure whether you fit into any one of the categories below or if you need further information, check your situation with an adviser at your institution, your Students' Union or UKCISA’s Students' Advice Line.

CATEGORY 1:
    Those who are 'settled' in the UK and meet the main residence requirements

In order to qualify for ‘home’ fees under this category, you must meet all of the following criteria:

(a) you must be 'settled' in the UK [see Box 1] on the 'first day of the first academic year of the course' [see Box 2],

AND

(b) you must be ‘ordinarily resident’ [see Box 3] in the UK on the ‘first day of the first academic year of the course’ [see Box 2],
    AND

(c) you must also have been 'ordinarily resident' [see Box 3] in the UK and Islands (the Islands means the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) for the full three year period before the 'first day of the first academic year of the course'. For example, if your course begins in October 2009, you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands from 1 September 2006 to 31 August 2009,

AND

(d) the main purpose for your residence in the UK and islands must not have been to receive full-time education during any part of that three-year period.

NOTE: It is not necessary to have had 'settled' immigration status in the UK [see Box 1] for three years.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/inf..._fees_ewni.php

Thread Information