Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Marriage in the UK or Fil?

Dear All,

I would like to ask what differences there are between marrying in the uk and in the Philippines? (Apart from it being a lot cheaper of course!)

As well as the general differences I would specifically like to know what documentation do you need to get married in the Philippines (as a UK citizen) and is this marriage legitimate under UK law as well?

I hope you can help me and I look forward to reading your replies

sorry i couldnt answere ur first question but as for documents...you have to secure a certificate of no-impediment either from the local office in the UK and then present it to the british embassy in manila to convert it to local CNI. Or you may get it straight from the british emabassy here but it takes 21 days before it can be release. you have to present your passport and birth certificate. You may check the fees for those papers online. As of the marriage..u can register the marriage took place here at the consul section of the british embassy of course with appropriate fees as well )...

hope this help you a little

Rogedavi

A partial answer...

Yes, a marriage in the Philippines is recognised as "legal" under UK law.

Re: marriage in Philly as opposed to the UK...
    Work-wise, if u marry in the Philippines, your wife can start work immediately in the UK.
    If she arrives via the fiancee visa route, you firstly have to get married, and then apply
    for an FLR (further leave to remain) , and get it granted, BEFORE she's allowed to
    work in the UK. At present, postal FLR applications take between 10-12 weeks.
    No man is an island, but Barry is

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdjones View Post
    A partial answer...

Yes, a marriage in the Philippines is recognised as "legal" under UK law.

If you got married in another country and your marriage is legally valid in the country where it was performed, it is recognised as a legal marriage in the UK too.

If you married abroad it’s wise to check that your marriage was officially registered in that country. In many countries you need to have civil registration in addition to a religious ceremony for a marriage to be legally recognised, sometimes marriages conducted in other countries aren’t recognised in the UK.

Thread Information