Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Importing jewelery to the Philippines

Hi everyone,
    this is my first post here. I was thinking of taking a new piece of jewelery to the Philippines as a gift, so I searched around to try to find what rate of duty I'd have to pay, and I came across something that said that you can't import anything with gold in it. Is this right? If not, does anyone know how much I would have to pay?
    I was considering wearing it, and claiming that I always did, but it is an item (a pendant) that normally only a woman would wear, and I'm not sure I could be convincing as a transvestite. I also thought about claiming it had been my grandmother's, and that I wore it for emotional reasons.
    Does anyone have any information or advice they could give me?

Thanks,
    Tom

Respected Member maria_and_matt's Avatar
    i always have carried gold as presents to my sister and mum, some bought here others duty free, i cannot remember paying any sort of tax on it.
    i think personally you will be ok as long as it is not a 'lot' of gold.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, the courage to change the things i can and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people i had to kill because they pissed me off.

has anyone ever had their bags searched by customs in the phils?

all the times I've been I've never seen anyone getting their luggage searched .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    has anyone ever had their bags searched by customs in the phils?

all the times I've been I've never seen anyone getting their luggage searched .
    First time there, some nicked a bottle of wine that I had in my luggage, present for a yank, mate of mine

Quote Originally Posted by aromulus View Post
    First time there, some nicked a bottle of wine that I had in my luggage, present for a yank, mate of mine
    i think the second time i went to phils my brother asked me to bring some cartons of cigs back for him, and when i picked my case up at Manchester int, one lock on the side of the case was open and someone had managed to get a couple of packets out of one of the cartons

Quote Originally Posted by TomThumb View Post
    Hi everyone,
    this is my first post here. I was thinking of taking a new piece of jewelery to the Philippines as a gift, so I searched around to try to find what rate of duty I'd have to pay, and I came across something that said that you can't import anything with gold in it. Is this right? If not, does anyone know how much I would have to pay?
    I was considering wearing it, and claiming that I always did, but it is an item (a pendant) that normally only a woman would wear, and I'm not sure I could be convincing as a transvestite. I also thought about claiming it had been my grandmother's, and that I wore it for emotional reasons.

Thanks,
    Tom
    I would think this would apply, to someone thinking of importing in bulk, not the odd piece of jewellery.

Well, there you have it, Tom! In the event, everyone who's greeted you so far, seems to think your "granny's" pendant WON'T turn out to be a "millstone" [more like a MILEstone, actually!] round your neck ... and, hopefully, that'll be the case, when you eventually travel to the Phils.

Hi everyone,

Thanks,
    Tom
    Advice? you have just declared that you have "absloute intention" to circumvent the law in a foreign country in order to obtain a pecuniary advantage. And you say this on internet forum? pardon me but d'uh!
    Best bet for you is don't try anything at all whatsoever, I don't intend to insult or disrespect you but why not not just buy something in Phillipines under guidance of a trusted local....
    Not trying to be funny mate but perhaps you haven't travelled much before?
    Could somebody in Phils look after this guy in buying gift for his GF???

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    i think the second time i went to phils my brother asked me to bring some cartons of cigs back for him, and when i picked my case up at Manchester int, one lock on the side of the case was open and someone had managed to get a couple of packets out of one of the cartons
    Imagine your brother's fags ... cheeky sod!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete67 View Post
    *you have just declared that you have "absloute intention" to circumvent the law in a foreign country in order to obtain a pecuniary advantage.
    ... Is the above statement not a wee bit of an exaggeration, Pete? After all, the guy's obviously been "doing his homework" in searching around to establish how to take a small item of jewellery into a foreign country [legitimately] by trying to ascertain the amount of customs duty that might be deemed necessary ... rather than risk breaching Immigration Rules. It's hardly an attempt to obtain a pecuniary advantage (in the form of smuggling), surely. Quite the reverse, to MY mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Sim11UK View Post
    I would think this would apply, to someone thinking of importing in bulk, not the odd piece of jewellery.
    Absolutely! ...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete67 View Post
    why not not just buy *something in Phillipines under guidance of a trusted local....
    ... how about a *gift bearing his name ... like 'Tom Thumb' cigars?

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    ... *what? ... like 'Tom Thumb' cigars?
    Mind you, don't know if THEY'RE still available HERE ... let alone, in the Philippines! (Och ... never mind ... it's just me ... in one of my daft moods ... "playing silly buggers" with myself again!)

... like 'Tom Thumb' cigars?
    No, folks ... I'm well-aware the recipient will NOT be Monica Lewinsky!

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Thanks for your help everyone, and merry Christmas. I think maybe from what you've said, I'll take it in my hand luggage and hope for the best.

Respected Member South-east boy's Avatar
    Have you been getting lonely there Arthur talking to yourself?!

Thanks for your help everyone, and merry Christmas. I think maybe from what you've said, I'll take it in my hand luggage and hope for the best.
    You,ve got nothing to worry about, Pete67's post, was certainly an over reaction....I'd just carry it in my hand luggage if I was you.

Mind you, don't know if THEY'RE still available HERE ... let alone, in the Philippines! (Och ... never mind ... it's just me ... in one of my daft moods ... "playing silly buggers" with myself again!)
    Are you ok Arthur?....I know you're excited Father Christmas is coming. ( you & Myrna)....Has he been yet?

Banned
    I'm sure not a problem and you don't need to pay tax.

My 2 brods and sis from Middle East usually gives my Nanay gold jewelries and Nanay gave me some and I took 'em here and wore back home and no problem at all.

Thread Information