Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Licence????

Licence????

Hi every one, I hope all is well with you all, I wasent sure where to ask this question so i hope here will do.
    Is my wife`s Phillipino driving licence valid in the UK, or will she have to do another test? I hope things are going good for you Jonothan 47 hehe well thats it Bit early but Seasons Greetings to all .. Dougie..

DVLA website should be able to tell you, I think it's something like www.dvla.gov

Respected Member
    It will be valid for the first year that she is resident in the UK and she must tell any insurance company that she does not hold a UK licence.

If she wants to carry on driving after the first year she must have got a full UK driving license by passing a UK driving test (theory and practical).

Whether you think she is safe to drive on the UK roads is obviously a different matter...

Banned

Smile driving License

HI Mate correction gentle one its Filipino, spelled rightly.

Darren is right above, 1 year allowable on the Philippine LTO license, then it MUST be a full UK license, the Philippine Embassy has noted down that some Pinoys take the Micky by trying to drive with their internet purchased International licenses only to ba caught by POlice and being found out they do not have full UK licenses,

I recently had a car accident, non fault and cannot think what I had to pay if I did not have the proper license, the other party had to pay for my Physio, Lexus repais, and dmages hope this helps

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    International Driving Licence.

Please note they are NOT DRIVING LICENCES but translations of your actual D/L.

If you drive you MUST ALWAYS have a driving licence.

No D/L = NO INSURANCE

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    International Driving Licence.

Please note they are NOT DRIVING LICENCES but translations of your actual D/L.

If you drive you MUST ALWAYS have a driving licence.

No D/L = NO INSURANCE
    Yup, a common misunderstanding. The other one is if you leave the UK for a short period (holiday back in the Philippines, etc) it resets the year - it doesn't.

Also bear in mind any convictions for driving offences could impact future applications, especially for British citizenship.

For her safety and the safety of others please get her to take at least 10 lessons in the UK!!
    No disrespect intended but very few Filipinos were taught to drive and most are a menace and a danger on any road!!

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    For her safety and the safety of others please get her to take at least 10 lessons in the UK!!
    No disrespect intended but very few Filipinos were taught to drive and most are a menace and a danger on any road!!
    i agree with you because i used to drive in the phils, i think because we drive on the other side of the road and when you are so used to it your subconscious mind is telling you to drive on the other side. not only that the hazard perception and the lot needs to be reinforced. i think to avoid confusion and the safe way to get used to driving in uk is to book a driving lesson. it's better to be safe than sorry.
    "Success is not about how much money you have; it's about the choices you can make in life"

No DL = no insurance
    And also police have the power to seize the car, unless someone else can drive it there and then.
    Also, if the car is insured as "any driver" this is only as third party cover, not comprehensive, so best to make sure anyone driving is a "named driver" if the car is of significant value...

Respected Member
    Also, if the car is insured as "any driver" this is only as third party cover, not comprehensive, so best to make sure anyone driving is a "named driver" ifthe car is of significant value...

I am almost certain that is not correct but as I live in Spain, and its a Sunday, its not so easy to check it out, maybe someone in UK could call their insurance company and and ask, or someone with full comp wit any driver could read their policy.

Pete, what you may have been confused with is, in UK when one has insurance cover they ae insured to drive 'any other car not owned by them or on hire purchase to them.' When they do so their insurance company will only cover them for third party. A pal of mine ( a police officer) wrote off a car he had borrowed and then found his 'full comp' did not cover him.

Respected Member
    Also, if the car is insured as "any driver" this is only as third party cover, not comprehensive, so best to make sure anyone driving is a "named driver" ifthe car is of significant value...

I am almost certain that is not correct but as I live in Spain, and its a Sunday, its not so easy to check it out, maybe someone in UK could call their insurance company and and ask, or someone with full comp wit any driver could read their policy.

Pete, what you may have been confused with is, in UK when one has insurance cover they ae insured to drive 'any other car not owned by them or on hire purchase to them.' When they do so their insurance company will only cover them for third party. A pal of mine ( a police officer) wrote off a car he had borrowed and then found his 'full comp' did not cover him.
    Doesn't sound right to me either, though I guess it would be down to the terms of the insurance you took out. I know in the past there was some any driver policies where the cover was downgraded to 3rd party if the driver was under 25.

Not sure whether it's normal for any driver insurance policies to cover drivers without full UK driving licenses.

I got a Filipino driving license. But i decided to apply for Uk provisional license and enrooled in UK driving lessons.I was shocked coz the rules are very much different.In the Philippines you could drive without really passing the test and the roads are very much different.sometimes we dont follow the signs and rules.Here in UK, so many signs and rules to follow. Now i found out im not a safe driver.

Respected Member
    Darren B Not sure whether it's normal for any driver insurance policies to cover drivers without full UK driving licenses.

I would think that in such a case one would need to ask their insurance company. I live Spain, my insurance would not cover my wife she has a full Filipino DL although she did not even know what the hand brake was !! But that's Phil, her cousin had a friend in LTO !

Ah yes, I do believe you are correct, was thinking if you did already have cover to drive your own car and borrowed someone else's..
    Thanks for that,

Quote Originally Posted by estherboaz View Post
    I got a Filipino driving license. But i decided to apply for Uk provisional license and enrooled in UK driving lessons.I was shocked coz the rules are very much different.In the Philippines you could drive without really passing the test and the roads are very much different.sometimes we dont follow the signs and rules.Here in UK, so many signs and rules to follow. Now i found out im not a safe driver.
    Well said..I bet you are not that bad at driving now eh??
    (for a woman anyway!!)

still bad coz its hard to undo those bad habits i developed in the Philippines.

Many Thanks

Hi all thanks for your replys , and interest i will get her to start freash here i think, I think it is a big difference in the way they drive over there and here, I have been driving for over 35 years and am scared to take the wheel over there. I am going now on the 16th i think to be with my love for the holiday period and am very excited, but i think i wil get a driver and not drive myself it is really to scary they just soet of push past and if there is a gap they go for it no right of way rules oohhh hehehe. Well to you all my friends ( I hope I may call you all that ) a merry Christmas and a prosperus new year to all.

get yourself a big rust bucket and other drivers will keep clear of you!
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

ooohh yea

Now that is what i call using the head hehehe

Thread Information