Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

People quitting work, should I?

I just read Pocahontas thread about finding a job and here I am contemplating about quiting mine.

The first time I came to UK as a visitor I took ECDL whilst my the bf go to work, in 3 months I had comlpeted the 6 modules and passed all the test, my certificate is somewhere in my files now. this coming 30th I'm graduating my Diploma course in IT at the London College of Computing.

Apart from going to college, taking care of the flat and my husband's breakfast and dinner, I managed to land on a part time job September last year in a japanese company, in their fine dining reataurant somewhere at Piccadilly.

I work 5 hours a day 4 times a week and manage an average of £500 a month which is not bad, cos i keep everything for my self alone. My husband pays for every single bills including my mobile contarct and reagularly sends money to my daughter in the Phils. and I have a weekly house keeping allowance for our food.

I love my job as Chef's assistant. for filipinas it should be very easy cos its just working in your own kitchen, I practically work with Japanese people for 14 months now, but things changed....

When this new Chef came recently and the old nice Chef quit.

this young japanese Chef (32) is just so good at his job but not with managing the people, all my friends are gone because of him, and some are quitting soon, even the japanese staff cant stand at his insulting words, and moody attitude. Everyday is agony for everybody thats the kind of atmosphere he gives.

We all work with fear, cos he will humiliate anyone that makes mistake. So we always finish work with physical, menatally and emotional stresses.

People say that Chef's are normally crazy.

Now, I even do cooking Japanese food for Bento take aways after they trained me for a week, which i like cos they trust me to cook the Japanese food. I train the new comers as well. and do the dessert for the restaurant.

I can even take 1 month holiday and still come back to work for them. But I am not sure if I can still stand the situation which making me emotionally ill.

Should I quit?

Well speak to your Hubby if your becoming Ill, act on it dont let it carry on.

It sounds like your in a situation if you had to give up your job where it would not be a massive issue to the familys income. No one wants you unwell, i take it the managment are aware of the situation?
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by beth18 View Post

We all work with fear, cos he will humiliate anyone that makes mistake. So we always finish work with physical, menatally and emotional stresses.

Now, I even do cooking Japanese food for Bento take aways after they trained me for a week, which i like cos they trust me to cook the Japanese food. I train the new comers as well. and do the dessert for the restaurant.

I can even take 1 month holiday and still come back to work for them. But I am not sure if I can still stand the situation which making me emotionally ill.

Should I quit?
    That's a disgraceful way to deal with people . Don't quit, get signed off sick with the stress maybe they will then fire you and you can take them to a tribunal for constructive dismissal. Not sure if it would work though as you say you are employed part time. Why not pop into your local Citizens Advice Bureau and see if they can help ?

Some people take the safe ground and stick it out,its mentally damaging you,fraying your nerves,chat with your Hubby,tell him of the stress,leave the job,put it into perspective,sure its your independance but its only 500 quid,you can get something else,catering jobs are everywhere,people have to eat dont they?As for the chef,well,I aint an internet warrior,but there are people who would have a chat to him if he shouted at their woman.Do whats best for your health and mental well-being,lifes to short for undue stress.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Good idea Dedworth,I wasnt thinking rationally,constructive dismissal

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    That's a disgraceful way to deal with people . Don't quit, get signed off sick with the stress maybe they will then fire you and you can take them to a tribunal for constructive dismissal. Not sure if it would work though as you say you are employed part time. Why not pop into your local Citizens Advice Bureau and see if they can help ?

Indeed it may not go as far as a tribunal.

One piece of advice i dont know the in's and out's but taking on employers should only be taken on as a last restort.

We were holding interviews when one of the candidates we choose (we had to a degree approached them due to them working in the industry) HR flagged them as "not ideal" I kid you not.

Why because dont ask me how they had discovered the candidate had taken a former company to a tribunal.

Now someone will talk about peoples rights and what companies can and cant do. But thats not always what happens in the real world.

thats the thing, The original Chef even quit because he is too strong, I heard from my friends that the restaurant is making more money now since he took over the as the head Chef.

Japanese people are too discreet about how they really feel,especially among women. No one is standing up and tell him off. To be honest he have not done anything to me yet, cos I work hard a lot and I do know my job pretty well. It's just the environment for everybody and no one speaks up. He is quite a bully and always talks at how good he is and bragging about being a head Chef in different restaurants.

It's just how he talks, i think he have a problem how to communicate because he believes too much in his self.

thats the thing, The original Chef even quit because he is too strong, I heard from my friends that the restaurant is making more money now since he took over the as the head Chef.

Japanese people are too discreet about how they really feel,especially among women. No one is standing up and tell him off. To be honest he have not done anything to me yet, cos I work hard a lot and I do know my job pretty well. It's just the environment for everybody and no one speaks up. He is quite a bully and always talks at how good he is and bragging about being a head Chef in different restaurants.

It's just how he talks, i think he have a problem how to communicate because he believes too much in his self.
    Working for a Japanese Company I know exactly what you mean very hard especially for Ladies as well. Equal rights for Men and Women are a long behind what you might see in the Uk.

*this young japanese Chef (32) is just so good at his job but not with managing the people, all my friends are gone because of him, and some are quitting soon, even the japanese staff cant stand at his insulting words, and moody attitude. Everyday is agony for everybody thats the kind of atmosphere he gives.

We all work with fear, cos he will humiliate anyone that makes mistake. So we always finish work with physical, menatally and emotional stresse
    ...*Sounds to me like a Japanese version of Gordon Ramsay!

Arthur= he is and maybe he thinks he as good as ramsey. thank you as well for your nice words on my last couple of threads.

Talking

Somebody= your right, but I still can wait untill I go for a holiday in January, its just not right di ba you work hard and dont even get a pat on your back or a simple than you, but im sticking at it cos its really nice ho still have our own money so we can buy whatever we want and not asking at all times from the husbands.

I was able to give him a new 64g ipod as a wedding gift, and he loves it cos it came from me he was even teary eyed cos he thinks it was too much. He should be it came from sweat and blood.

why not pull him to one side and have it out with him! being in a kitchen requires team work ! jap version of gordon ramsey or not, i'd still have a stern word with him and tell him how i feel! don't be afraid to tell him how u feel, maybe he needs someone to stand up to him and make him realise his effect on others?
    No harm in trying......

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by topbuzz121 View Post
    why not pull him to one side and have it out with him! being in a kitchen requires team work ! jap version of gordon ramsey or not, i'd still have a stern word with him and tell him how i feel! don't be afraid to tell him how u feel, maybe he needs someone to stand up to him and make him realise his effect on others?
    No harm in trying......
    Be far better to persuade someone else to do that, maybe someone who is leaving anyway

hello..yes im surprised that you have time sometime to read my thread..and yes thats true im dying to find a job here though financial is not that really problem coz i can still eat hehe..anyway. i have no any better advice to give to you because i think all their advice is best enough to make your mind clear.. as a one of respected member..hehe just want to share and be truthfully to myself..that i think i will never stop worrying in my life, coz now ive been worried to find a job and if time will come that i have a job my next worries will be the people that i will work with..i know its not gonna be easy as i always know that you cannot please anybody......but just go on...i will mind that when im really in that situation..8-( hehe8-)

I just read Pocahontas thread about finding a job and here I am contemplating about quiting mine.

The first time I came to UK as a visitor I took ECDL whilst my the bf go to work, in 3 months I had comlpeted the 6 modules and passed all the test, my certificate is somewhere in my files now. this coming 30th I'm graduating my Diploma course in IT at the London College of Computing.

Apart from going to college, taking care of the flat and my husband's breakfast and dinner, I managed to land on a part time job September last year in a japanese company, in their fine dining reataurant somewhere at Piccadilly.

I work 5 hours a day 4 times a week and manage an average of £500 a month which is not bad, cos i keep everything for my self alone. My husband pays for every single bills including my mobile contarct and reagularly sends money to my daughter in the Phils. and I have a weekly house keeping allowance for our food.

I love my job as Chef's assistant. for filipinas it should be very easy cos its just working in your own kitchen, I practically work with Japanese people for 14 months now, but things changed....

When this new Chef came recently and the old nice Chef quit.

this young japanese Chef (32) is just so good at his job but not with managing the people, all my friends are gone because of him, and some are quitting soon, even the japanese staff cant stand at his insulting words, and moody attitude. Everyday is agony for everybody thats the kind of atmosphere he gives.

Should I quit?
    Hi! Beth18, just read your post on here.... only i can say that if I am, I will not quit that job because it is the work you can challenges your self on how you handle people like that. It is a trials now come to your way while you are working. Just don't mind what he is doing as long as you do your work good enough just enough or have time to chika for him/her sometime if you have time to know him/her well. Some people are very strict or sometime they dont know or think they hurt others but if you try to consult and be frank to them sometime, you can see on there heart they are good too. Yes, how nice to think you can buy anything what you want or even to make your hubby or family happy by not asking an amount for your partner. It is easy to quit a job but it is hard to find a good job.. just my opinion but it is you the one who can decide on it ... good luck beth18

Just record what is going on for proof.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Banned
    In my opinion, if I was in your situation, I would try to speak to someone above the chef - maybe the Personnel Manager/ess or even the Hotel Manager. I've worked in supermarkets for many years, and I've come across department managers behaving like jumped up idiots, and a word with the store manager seems to sort things out, on the rare occasion it hasn't, a word with the offender works wonders. Of course, working in a hotel is different with the emphasis being on teamwork, but I'm quite sure if the manager of the hotel gets enough complaints or sees all his kitchen staff walking out, he'll try to resolve it.

Banned
    IHMO, I will never quit the job and would rather speak to higher-ups about what's happening inside their business. Ask for a grievance if you think you feel stressful working with him. I will also speak to the chef. Ask him what really bothers him and invite him for a close door chat. Record, write down every detail happening inside. Time and date is important. If that will not work out, I will tell my husband.

With regards to your studies, continue studying if you still have time. Try sending applications about computer jobs. This is your alternatives in case your hubby suggests you give it up.

Be brave and do not let him affects you, but let him affected by you. Speak to him ASAP! Don't be shy.

why you don't speak to your manager about the problem of your work instead of quitting your job i mean all of you who works with him.
    all things are possible!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Possibly not the best advice you can have.

I was a full time union rep a few years ago and would suggest you speak to the chefs superior. See if you can get colleagues to support you.

As far as going off sick with stress is concerned, and then waiting to be sacked and going for constructive dismissal, it may never happen.

If they dismiss you it is not constructive dismissal as it is a straight dismissal. It is constructive if you leave because of somthing that has happened to prevent the working relationship continuing. Even then you would need to prove two things
    a) it is constructive dismissal
    b) the dismissal is unfair

If you go sick, and are sacked, it may be a fair dismissal under 'frustration of contract'. ie you are not fulfilling your side of the contract as you are not reporting for work.

Sounds totally unfair, I know, but the law tends to side with employers rather than employees.

If you are in a union speak to your rep, if not, think about joining one. I would suggest Unite, if your employer doesn't currently recognise a union. If there is already a union in the workplace join that one. All advice they give is free (as long as yiou pay your subs) and they should normally be able to sort things out before even thinking about going to a tribunal.

Also, have a look at the company grievance procedure which they must have in place by law.

Good luck whatever your decision.

Respected Member
    I forgot to mention that it doesn't matter wheteher you are part time or full time you still have the same rights

Thread Information