Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Has anyone here stayed in the philippines for almost 2 years after having ilr?

im just planning to go home and stay their with me mom for a year and come back when my son start school.
    Filipina a born survivor!

yes my stepsons been back in the phils for nearly 1 1/2yrs, he'll be back here b4 april (just b4 the 2 yrs is up), looks like this time hes staying for good

i dont expect a problem but like any boy scout, he will be prepared, he'll have letters from the uni hes at in palawan stating hes been studying etc, and letters to show his mom, step dad and brother and sister live in the uk. i dont expect any problems, but i dont take risks. also i'll go and sort the ECO out if they think there is a problem and set the misses on them

a year you shouldn't have a problem but just have some eivdence that the uk is your home, and some story why you've been in the phils for a year, just incase

the real reason is that,i have to go back home for we been living with my inlaw since from the start and its nearly 3 years now and we havent got our own place to live (its a very long story and frustrating one)but we did already apply for council housing but i believe it takes a couple of year b4 you could get one i just thought id rather go home and be with my mom while my son is not schooling yet and i think gives my husband enough time to save so we can move out...

Respected Member
    Are you planning to go for British citizenship? If so how close are you to the three years? As if you do get British citizenship then you will definately have no problems.

The only issue might be how long it takes to be granted - I'm not up to date on how long it is taking at the moment. Though if you use NCS (Nationality Checking Service) you could leave the country whilst your application is being processed though you would have to return to the UK for the citizenship ceremony.

I dont have plans of applying citizenship yet, im fine with the ilr at the moment...it says that you can only apply citizenship a year after you were granted ilr, so in my case i have to apply april next year.

But i been here since november of 2006,never been able to have vacation since then as i have fallen pregnant and gave birth here...

Quote Originally Posted by darren-b View Post
    Are you planning to go for British citizenship? If so how close are you to the three years? As if you do get British citizenship then you will definately have no problems.

The only issue might be how long it takes to be granted - I'm not up to date on how long it is taking at the moment. Though if you use NCS (Nationality Checking Service) you could leave the country whilst your application is being processed though you would have to return to the UK for the citizenship ceremony.
    when my misses got her citizenship, it took from booking an appointment with ncs to attending the citizenship ceremony and getting her citizenship cert in her hands, it was about 7wks all together

when will you have been in the uk 3yrs eljean? as darren has said, it might be worth waiting til you've get citizenship, because if you go for a yr to the phils, you'll probably have to wait another yr or so when you get back in the uk b4 you can apply for citizenship.

it would be best if you hang on at your inlaws and get citizenship b4 you go

Quote Originally Posted by eljean View Post
    I dont have plans of applying citizenship yet, im fine with the ilr at the moment...it says that you can only apply citizenship a year after you were granted ilr, so in my case i have to apply april next year.

But i been here since november of 2006,never been able to have vacation since then as i have fallen pregnant and gave birth here...
    you can apply for citizenship in nov 2009 then, not true you need ILR for a year, thats for everyone else who's not married to a brit, you need to have been in the uk 3yrs if your married to a british spouse.

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    you can apply for citizenship in nov 2009 then, not true you need ILR for a year, thats for everyone else who's not married to a brit, you need to have been in the uk 3yrs if your married to a british spouse.
    I was on fiancee visa when i came here last nov 19,2006 so i'll be 3 years this coming nov 2009,if you were right i could apply as long as i have stayed here for 3 years well thats a good thing to know as what i have thought about...thanks mod joe

I was on fiancee visa when i came here last nov 19,2006 so i'll be 3 years this coming nov 2009,if you were right i could apply as long as i have stayed here for 3 years well thats a good thing to know as what i have thought about...thanks mod joe
    Hi Eljean we are on the same road came here on a fiance visa oct 2006. Im planning to apply for my cit late this year hopefully Would be beneficial in your part to get cit first going to the PI.

Goodluck to us
    LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL

it's fairly straight forward applying for citizenship, it will probably cost more in the future and take longer and more conditions for you to acquire it.

thats why i applied for the misses recently

Yeah,just been reading on the HO website they just passed a new rules to further the immigration law on acquiring citizenship(sigh)but for me it really don't matter i am with my ilr as long as it makes me stay here to be with my family(husband and my son)co'z that's that matters to me...but yeah it will be more realistic to apply for citizenship for future travel purposes.

i dont think any new rules have started yet, they've not even published what all the new changes are..

im just planning to go home and stay their with me mom for a year and come back when my son start school.
    if you're planning to apply for citizenship in the future, it is not adviceable to travel outside UK for a long period. The reason is that it will affect your application for naturalization. here are some of the rules regarding absences in UK:

This page explains how we can use our discretion when considering absences from the United Kingdom during the residential qualifying period when considering applications for naturalisation as a British citizen.

We normally disregard absences of up to 300 days.

We will disregard absences of up to 540 days only if you meet all the other requirements and have established your home, family and a large part of your estate here. We would also expect that:

■for absences of up to 450 days, you have been resident in the United Kingdom for the last four years; or
    ■for absences over 450 days, you have been resident in the United Kingdom for the last five years; or
    ■the absences were due to you serving abroad in crown service or due to your husband, wife or civil partner serving abroad in crown or designated service; or
    ■the absences were unavoidable due to the nature of your work. For example if you are a merchant seaman or work for a United Kingdom based business which requires frequent travel abroad; or
    ■there are exceptional or compelling reasons of an occupational or compassionate nature such as having a firm job offer for which British citizenship is a genuine requirement.
    Absences in the final year are considered in the following way.

■If the total is up to 100 days, we normally disregard the absence.
    ■the residence requirements over the qualifying period are met; and
    ■you have demonstrated a link with the United Kingdom by establishing your home, family and a large part of your estate here.
    ■you have demonstrated a link with the United Kingdom by establishing your home, family and a large part of your estate here; and
    ■the absence was due to you serving abroad in crown service or due to a compelling occupational or compassionate reason.
    ■you have demonstrated a link with the United Kingdom by establishing your home, family and a large part of your estate here; and
    ■the absence was due to you serving abroad in crown service or due to a compelling occupational or compassionate reason.
    ■If the total is over 180 days and you have not met the residence requirements over the qualifying period, we would only consider disregarding the absence in exceptional circumstances.

here is the link if you want to read it

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/bri...bsencesfromuk/

Quote Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
    if you're planning to apply for citizenship in the future, it is not adviceable to travel outside UK for a long period. The reason is that it will affect your application for naturalization. here are some of the rules regarding absences in UK:

This page explains how we can use our discretion when considering absences from the United Kingdom during the residential qualifying period when considering applications for naturalisation as a British citizen.

We normally disregard absences of up to 300 days.

We will disregard absences of up to 540 days only if you meet all the other requirements and have established your home, family and a large part of your estate here. We would also expect that:

■for absences of up to 450 days, you have been resident in the United Kingdom for the last four years; or
    ■for absences over 450 days, you have been resident in the United Kingdom for the last five years; or
    ■the absences were due to you serving abroad in crown service or due to your husband, wife or civil partner serving abroad in crown or designated service; or
    ■the absences were unavoidable due to the nature of your work. For example if you are a merchant seaman or work for a United Kingdom based business which requires frequent travel abroad; or
    ■there are exceptional or compelling reasons of an occupational or compassionate nature such as having a firm job offer for which British citizenship is a genuine requirement.
    Absences in the final year are considered in the following way.

■If the total is up to 100 days, we normally disregard the absence.
    ■you have demonstrated a link with the United Kingdom by establishing your home, family and a large part of your estate here.
    ■If the total is over 180 days and you have not met the residence requirements over the qualifying period, we would only consider disregarding the absence in exceptional circumstances.

here is the link if you want to read it

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/bri...bsencesfromuk/
    thanks for the big infothough it doesnt help me feel better co'z i do miss me mom so much and the PI but of course my family comes first its for the best and for me in anyways thanks guyssss...thanks for all the advice about my query and a special thanks to mrs. admin ate ping

Thread Information