Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job hunting

Job hunting

It's so depressing, I have been here for exactly 2 months now and still no luck in getting a job. I feel so useless because I am not contributing financially to my husband. He's paying all the bills alone and still trying to pay off credit card debts that he used to get me here. It's just so difficult if you can't drive and get nowhere. Unlike in the Philippines, if you have the address of the company, you can just take a taxi and directly go there or ride a bus, jeepney, tricycle or MRT/ LRT. So many forms of transportation but here, it's so hard!!! unless you can drive and have your own transportation. I have been learning how to drive, I used to learn twice a week but now,only doing once a week bcoz of financial constraint..To all Filipina wives here, I am just wondering how long did it take you before you got a job?

Respected Member
    my wife has been here since 1st of march, and has just got a cleaning job at a hotel . its an early start at 5.30am and only for 1.5 hrs but at least its getting her a work record here and she can get a better job in the future

I got my first job 2 days after i got my FLR. cleaning in hotel. Now i got a new job because that hotel was cutting back hours.
    Its harder to find job nowadays because of credit crunch. But dont give up keep looking and you'll eventually get one. Just dont be too picky

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDRES25 View Post
    It's so depressing, I have been here for exactly 2 months now and still no luck in getting a job. I feel so useless because I am not contributing financially to my husband. He's paying all the bills alone and still trying to pay off credit card debts that he used to get me here. It's just so difficult if you can't drive and get nowhere. Unlike in the Philippines, if you have the address of the company, you can just take a taxi and directly go there or ride a bus, jeepney, tricycle or MRT/ LRT. So many forms of transportation but here, it's so hard!!! unless you can drive and have your own transportation. I have been learning how to drive, I used to learn twice a week but now,only doing once a week bcoz of financial constraint..To all Filipina wives here, I am just wondering how long did it take you before you got a job?
    Here you can get a taxi too!
    Don`t feel useless, its not the holy land here. Its hard for everybody.
    Dont set your sights too high and i`m sure you`ll be able to find something.
    My wife,Chryss, hasnt looked for work yet as shes just given birth to our son so I cant answer that question.
    Good luck and dont get disheartened!

Dont worry just keep on looking and at times like these where its hard to get a job...dont be choosy, Im sure there are a few jobs out there..it might not be your liking but we need to sacrifice alittle until UK economy improves. Good luck!

it took my misses more than 6 months to find a good job working in the nhs,

you can get a bus(es) to most places and you might be able to buy a monthly bus pass

use this to see if you can easily get a bus/train etc to where the job is..

http://www.traveline.org.uk/index.htm

just keep applying, bad time to be looking for a job now, but you'll find one soon

sorry to hear that, oh well we really do have lots of adjustments..

have u tried going to ur nearest job center?or searching thru ur local newspaper?sometimes they do post local jobs in there.

like some have said here, as long as ur choosy we're sure u can find a job.

Goodluck..

Respected Member
    Its really hard to get a job here, 5 months after i got my FLR thats when i started working.

Goodluck Andres
    It's good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it's good to check up once in a while to make sure you haven't lost the things that money can't buy.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kimmi View Post

have u tried going to ur nearest job center?or searching thru ur local newspaper?sometimes they do post local jobs in there.

like some have said here, as long as ur choosy we're sure u can find a job.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Goodluck..
    you miss the word "not" sis
    It's good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it's good to check up once in a while to make sure you haven't lost the things that money can't buy.

Quote Originally Posted by adam&chryss View Post
    Here you can get a taxi too!
    Don`t feel useless, its not the holy land here. Its hard for everybody.
    Dont set your sights too high and i`m sure you`ll be able to find something.
    My wife,Chryss, hasnt looked for work yet as shes just given birth to our son so I cant answer that question.
    Good luck and dont get disheartened!
    Yes I'm sure you can get a taxi here in some places but not in my place. And even if there are taxis around won't be able to afford it anyway... Congrats to your son! Bet he's a cutie!

it is hard finding a job this time :( ive just finished my maternity and been trying to get a job at the nhs but still no response from them. :( :( relying on the jsa and tax credits money are not enough! :S

Quote Originally Posted by kimmi View Post

like some have said here, as long as ur choosy we're sure u can find a job.

Goodluck..
    Thanks KIMMI, yes I always check JOB CENTRE plus online and always buy a paper on a wednesday becoz that's a job day here in Ipswich but no luck...

My wife has been here for more than 6 weeks now and, to be honest, at the moment I'm in no great hurry for her to find a job as we are both relishing that special feeling called TOGETHERNESS. But I daresay the day will come when needs must ... and all that. Is there really any truth in the saying "two can live as cheaply as one"? Or am I living in 'Cloud Land'?

Banned

I didn't apply for a job when I arrived here for 2 months as hubby wants to join me in his truck to see the countryside from England to Scotland. After 2 months of sight seing, I started to apply a job. I was not choosy like others. I tried to knock the door of a Caravan site just walking distance to our home and I got the housekeeping job. If there's small business close to your house, don't be ashame to ask if there's available job for you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    My wife has been here for more than 6 weeks now and, to be honest, at the moment I'm in no great hurry for her to find a job as we are both relishing that special feeling called TOGETHERNESS. But I daresay the day will come when needs must ... and all that. Is there really any truth in the saying "two can live as cheaply as one"? Or am I living in 'Cloud Land'?
    you funny little arthur ,I guess its the bore who kill us.....IMO

Respected Member
    Thanks KIMMI, yes I always check JOB CENTRE plus online and always buy a paper on a wednesday becoz that's a job day here in Ipswich but no luck...
    Ah good old Ipswich jobcentre. We were there on tuesday and hated every minute of it!
    I guess you dont live in Ipswich though cos there are plenty of buses there taking you to all places.
    I don`t know what your skills are but if I remember rightly, walk up to the centre of town from the jobcentre and there are a couple of agencies there.
    I`ll get Chryss to PM you and maybe we could meet up us we arn`t far from you.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.JMajor View Post
    you funny little arthur ,I guess its the bore who kill us.....IMO
    Thanks ate Juliet..

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    What about offering your services free for a couple weeks so you can prove your skills or try internet shop on ebay

Give it time Andres,I know a lady living in Oxford,she has been in UK a year,when she first came she was bored as her husband worked night and slept days,now she has three jobs,kadiyot lang na siya

I know you how you feel, I think all filipina wives have experienced that... Fortunately, I have finally got my job after 1 1/2 months since my arrival.

Just don't lose hope, continue hunting for jobs, for sure you'll soon find one which suits you best.

Good Luck!
    with a heart full of love, you will express your highest potential while also fulfilling your soul's deepest purpose:
    TO LOVE AND BE LOVED!

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    I didn't apply for a job when I arrived here for 2 months as hubby wants to join me in his truck to see the countryside from England to Scotland. After 2 months of sight seing, I started to apply a job. I was not choosy like others. I tried to knock the door of a Caravan site just walking distance to our home and I got the housekeeping job. If there's small business close to your house, don't be ashame to ask if there's available job for you.
    Hi Penny,
    Thanks for the words of encouragement, that's one thing I haven't done yet. Knocking on doors and going to shops, I've been meaning to do that for the past weeks but just didn't have the courage to do so. Guess it's about time I go knocking and asking for vacancies just like u did... I don't know but it feels like I've lost all the confidence I used to have when I got here...

Quote Originally Posted by adam&chryss View Post
    Ah good old Ipswich jobcentre. We were there on tuesday and hated every minute of it!
    I guess you dont live in Ipswich though cos there are plenty of buses there taking you to all places.
    I don`t know what your skills are but if I remember rightly, walk up to the centre of town from the jobcentre and there are a couple of agencies there.
    I`ll get Chryss to PM you and maybe we could meet up us we arn`t far from you.
    I live in Claydon Ipswich, yes I've been there too, I also hated it there, it's useless, so I just check jobcentreplus online everyday. Yes would be nice to meet up sometime.

hello

dont be depressed coz its credit crunch at this time,its really hard to find a job even my husband he is english man but almost three months had no job,but me i had my job after two months i arrived here as a kitchen assistant in home, through the help of my husband tooxxxxxxx

stay positive,if you are eager to work you will get a job eventually,I know there is many who dont want to work,just stay home and claim the state and intentionally fail interviews.
    Take time to prepare good CV,there is many sites for example http://www.officechat.co.uk/jobhunti...cvcreating.htm

Hi Penny,
    Thanks for the words of encouragement, that's one thing I haven't done yet. Knocking on doors and going to shops, I've been meaning to do that for the past weeks but just didn't have the courage to do so. Guess it's about time I go knocking and asking for vacancies just like u did... I don't know but it feels like I've lost all the confidence I used to have when I got here...
    Thats how My Wife got her first Job walking around Local town Centre with CV with a basic cover letter.

Also make sure you know what Hours days you can work. Practise basic interview questions. If you need help on this ask on here, we will all help you
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Banned
    Blimey, my wife never wanted a job, or looked for one. Why should she? I kept her in handbags and shoes. The faster she spent it the quicker she'd get more (well that was her theory).

My first post and it's a gem!

lol thats like my x too
    but it esculated, the last thing i bought her was new car,now i no money and she got the house hehehe

Banned
    Looking forward to stop the racial stereotyping here!

Before I got married my Mum thought all Filipinas were loving, hardworking, good mothers, grateful, simple souls.

What a shock for her! My dear wife, laziest person I ever met!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NotYou View Post
    Looking forward to stop the racial stereotyping here!

Before I got married my Mum thought all Filipinas were loving, hardworking, good mothers, grateful, simple souls.

What a shock for her! My dear wife, laziest person I ever met!
    Watch out your words,would you kind enough to introduce yourself follow your post,you didnt go for first step,introduce yourself section
    So why you didnt know her first then before marry her

Quote Originally Posted by porky View Post
    stay positive,if you are eager to work you will get a job eventually,I know there is many who dont want to work,just stay home and claim the state and intentionally fail interviews.
    Take time to prepare good CV,there is many sites for example http://www.officechat.co.uk/jobhunti...cvcreating.htm

LINKS AND NEWBIES...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information