Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

After a spouse visa has been approved, how soon must you travel

This seems to ba another topic with conflicting info.

I have been told that you must travel straight away, as the visa is valid for 24 months, and you need 24 months of living together for ILR.

But the last time I did this, the visa was valid for 24 months from the date of entry into the UK, and you had 6 months from the date of issue to enter the UK, That was in 2002, so it may well have changed

Respected Member
    They changed the rules recently so the initial visa you get should now be valid for 27 months from the date of issue. This means you have almost 4 months to get to the UK.

Obviously if you don't travel to the UK in time you have to spend more money on an additional visa (FLR) before you apply for ILR.

I would take Darren B's advice if I were you, he knows what he is talking about, if he says its 27 months then its 27 months, I don't know of anyone else on the forum who spends as much time trawling the net checking these things as much as he does.

The quicker the applicant arrives in UK the better, the 36 months naturalization target starts from point of entry, delays only cause problems, and in some cases, can cause in isolated cases the withdrawal of your spouse visa, (don't believe me ? trust me, its true, cos it happened to us).

Once issued, use it, despedida de soltera is all very well, and giving job notices is fine, make your travel arrangements quickly, goodbye to singleness in the Philippines can be done in one day.

Hi ya. May I take this opportunity to clarify what darren-b said:

"Obviously if you don't travel to the UK in time you have to spend more money on an additional visa (FLR) before you apply for ILR."

My spouse visa was granted 04 of October 2007. I left the Philippines 01 November 2007 and arrived in the UK 02 November 2007. My visa is valid til 04 October 2009.

Do I have to apply for a FLR? When can I apply for ILR? And who do i apply to?

Many thanks for any advise. There are loads of posts about FLR and ILR here but they are all seem to be confusing.

God bless...

Quote Originally Posted by Durkhaima View Post

"Obviously if you don't travel to the UK in time you have to spend more money on an additional visa (FLR) before you apply for ILR."

My spouse visa was granted 04 of October 2007. I left the Philippines 01 November 2007 and arrived in the UK 02 November 2007. My visa is valid til 04 October 2009.

Many thanks for any advise. There are loads of posts about FLR and ILR here but they are all seem to be confusing.

God bless...
    no you don't need to apply a FLR, phone the HO atleast a month before your spouse visa to run out so you have time to get ready your documents you need for ILR

before i recieve my spouse visa i already booked my flight ticket its an open date flight going to here,so since i got my visa i've flew straight away.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Durkhaima View Post

God bless...
    You are only allowed to apply for ILR a maximum of 28 days before you've completed 2 years in the UK. I think in your case that would be the 5th October 2009, the day after your visa expired. As it's only a day out the trick most people do in your situation is post the application as late as possible via special delivery (probably 1st October 2009) and pay by cheque. They won't process your application until the cheque clears by which time you'll be close enough to the 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by darren-b View Post
    You are only allowed to apply for ILR a maximum of 28 days before you've completed 2 years in the UK. I think in your case that would be the 5th October 2009, the day after your visa expired. As it's only a day out the trick most people do in your situation is post the application as late as possible via special delivery (probably 1st October 2009) and pay by cheque. They won't process your application until the cheque clears by which time you'll be close enough to the 2 years.
    , also i think the last day you can post it, is the day your visa expires, but i wouldn't do that, always apply for a visa asap, that way any problems with payment or evidence, you've got time to sort it out.

not sure if it is 27 months yet, thoses who have just got a spouse visa, how long is your visa valid for 2 yrs or 27 months

if its 2yrs get to the uk within 28days of the start date of your visa, it will save you money and headaches

if its 27 months, then you've got a few months b4 you have to come here

Quote Originally Posted by darren-b View Post
    yes i would post it on the 1st of oct, so it gets there on the 2nd, as the 4th of oct 2009 i think is a sunday, most important that you apply b4 your visa expires..

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    not sure if it is 27 months yet, thoses who have just got a spouse visa, how long is your visa valid for 2 yrs or 27 months
    It was meant to have changed from 2 years to 27 months on the 22nd July. So it would be anyone who has had a spouse visa issued in the last month.

29th of july the Entry clearance endorsements were updated. but are all case workers aware of the changes and applying them

has anyone got a spouse visa this month with the following endorsement ?

D: SETTLEMENT: SPOUSE/CP (KOL REQ): 27 months: Code 1

The Good News: It's definitely 27 months. My wife received her visa on 16th August, it is valid from 30th July 2008 and is valid until 30th October 2010. Although she doesn't arrive here until tomorrow morning she has emailed me a copy of the UK Entry Clearance in her passport. I have seen it for myself. If you want to see for yourself, be at Terminal 5 tomorrow morning at 5am!! lol ....when she arrives here............at last, hooray!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by joroco View Post
    The Good News: It's definitely 27 months. My wife received her visa on 16th August, it is valid from 30th July 2008 and is valid until 30th October 2010. Although she doesn't arrive here until tomorrow morning she has emailed me a copy of the UK Entry Clearance in her passport. I have seen it for myself. If you want to see for yourself, be at Terminal 5 tomorrow morning at 5am!! lol ....when she arrives here............at last, hooray!!!!!
    5am, i'm up at that time every week day

great news about your wife and the visa, there should not be many problems now with people having to apply for FLR because they came after 28 days of the visa being issued. what will the gov do to get that lost money back

30th of july and your wife didn't get it til the 16th , where's it been for more than 2wks

I got my visa last August 14. Visa valid aug 13, 2008 to August 13,2010

Thread Information