Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Respected Member

Smile indefinite leave to remain

Good morning all,

I have been in Cyprus for a month so only now i am catching up with every ones news.
    Congrats to all those who got their visas granted and good luck to every one waiting.

While i was in Cyprus my asawa went back to the Philippines to bring my 10 year old step daughter to the UK, yep she got her visa after 3months and 2weeks.

4 hours after i sent 75 emails to the embassy in a morning rant, one after another i recieved an email from them that the documents had been dispatched,
    Coincidence or what ??

Now i have stereo philippina , i must be crazy ha ha my ears hurt now.

Now i need some advice please

Ind leave application will be made in in 6 months for my wife and from what i can see she must do the life uk test and have a qualification in english .

If not she applies for an extension to remain, correct ?????

Does anyone know the minimum english course requirement name.

i think the requirements are life in uk test (if your wifes english is above ESOL Entry 3 level)

OR

an approved ESOL qualification through taking a course
    which includes citizenship materials “Skills for Life” qualification in speaking and listening at Entry Level (if your wifes english is below ESOL Entry 3 level)

two ESOL Units at Access Level under the Scottish Credit
    and Qualifications Framework approved by the Scottish
    Qualifications Authority.
    (if you live in Scotland)

If you have not reached ESOL Entry Level 3 standard, the evidence of your ESOL qualification will need to include a letter from the
    college confirming that you have progressed by at least one level from the level at which you started, and that the course included
    citizenship materials.

the ESOL courses are 1 year, so your asawa doesn't have time to take a course.

hope im correct

regards
    martin

your wife can apply for ILR in 6 months ??

yes i think your wife is too late to take the course, and finding a course may not be that easy..

only 2 things you can do now i think, is buy her the life in uk book, only 5 chapters to read, if i remember correctly, start reading when she's back in uk, go on some websites which have sample tests, and asap put her in for the test, max 1 or 2 months time, and is she fails, it gives her time to attempt it a few more times, so not as much pressure, worth risking £34 until she passes, instead of spending £500 on FLR and the form filling and evidence gathering

or if she cannot pass then she will have to apply for FLR, something you really don't want to do, waste of time and money

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/uk...geandlifeinuk/

have a look on ebay, you can buy books with just the chapters 2-6 your wife needs to study in 160pages in paperback, and a test cd for around £7

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Life-in-the-UK...6.c0.m14.l1318

of course there are others around and on ebay, and i'm not recommending this, as i've never seen the product, but i bought something similar to this, and the wife and stepson both passed the test first time within 3wks but that was when you only needed to read 3 chapters of it.

Respected Member

Smile Leave To Remain

thanks for the information JOE BLOGGS and everyone else.

my main problem is that i think that my wifes english is good , all the family and nieghbours have long conversations with her and have no real problems , my wife sometimes does not understand things like "doing my head in " or" rabbiting on" but this is not english language.
    she has no problem in her work also.

so what is the bench mark for acceptable english and how would you prove it.

regards john

Quote Originally Posted by john sergison View Post

my main problem is that i think that my wifes english is good , all the family and nieghbours have long conversations with her and have no real problems , my wife sometimes does not understand things like "doing my head in " or" rabbiting on" but this is not english language.

regards john
    When it comes to the "Life in the UK" test, it doesn't really matter how good your wife's english is as the majority of the test consists of questions that most Brits would be hard pressed to answer and I think most Brits would agree that they are totally irellevent to real life in the UK as we know it. If you don't believe me, just go online and look at some of the sample questions.

Iain.

Quote Originally Posted by john sergison View Post

regards john
    as long as she can read English, then she should be able to pass the test, it's multi choice, so it's a matter of remembering facts and figures,so the answer will be in front of her

your wife proves it by passing the test. most filipino's i would expect to pass the first time or within a few attempts

and another good website is

http://www.lifeintheuk.org/

and the gov one is

http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/

i wouldn't worry too much, get the misses to start reading, and using the pc to test her, and a month or so book her the test, if she fails no problems, its only £34 and she will know what to expect next time, when she passes

Quote Originally Posted by 5olidsnake View Post

Just tried that myself. I done the first 6 pages of questions and I passed 3 and failed 3 and I've lived in the UK all my life. It seems utterly pointless and unfair to me. I reckon if you made the entire population of this country sit that test well over 50% would fail.

I also found some of the questions poorly written and unclear. For example...

Members in the Welsh Assembly can speak English and Welsh, and all publications of the Assembly are in both language

Is that asking if all assembly members have the ability to speak both languages or is it asking if it is true that some speak English and some speak
    Welsh?

i don't think the idea of doing some sort of test or course is a bad idea, many immigrants who have lived here for years and have made the uk thier home, but they cannot read, write or speak english.

if the person already has a understanding of english, then the life in the uk test can be taken to prove it, and as they need to be tested on some subject, why not the uk ?

for those who think they cannot pass the test, they can do an English course combining the citizenship info.

it's a waste of time for brits who speak english and maybe for those immigrants who can take the test straight away, but i'm sure it's not for those who are on the English and citizenship course, by the time they finish the course they will have a better understanding of english

thanks for the links guys as i am preparing my test soon

Quote Originally Posted by Ann07 View Post
    thanks for the links guys as i am preparing my test soon
    Good luck Ann the link that joebloggs gave is the one I used when Im reviewing my test actually I didn't read the book much as everything is on that site and I only prepare about a month for the exam as I feel that I can do it already and luckily I passed it and as pinoy saying "chicken lang yan"

Quote Originally Posted by flomike View Post
    Good luck Ann the link that joebloggs gave is the one I used when Im reviewing my test actually I didn't read the book much as everything is on that site and I only prepare about a month for the exam as I feel that I can do it already and luckily I passed it and as pinoy saying "chicken lang yan"
    you make me smile. Thank you flomike I studied the book and just doing the practice test now. My husband booked the exam already this month so fingers crossed

goodluck

ohhh thank you thanks for the links also

most of the question is about the country your in too.relax and goodluck to ur exam

you make me smile. Thank you flomike I studied the book and just doing the practice test now. My husband booked the exam already this month so fingers crossed
    Good luck Ann and God Bless

ohhh thank you thanks for the links also
    just read the book,you can do it..goodluck

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    i don't think the idea of doing some sort of test or course is a bad idea, many immigrants who have lived here for years and have made the uk thier home, but they cannot read, write or speak english.

if the person already has a understanding of english, then the life in the uk test can be taken to prove it, and as they need to be tested on some subject, why not the uk ?

for those who think they cannot pass the test, they can do an English course combining the citizenship info.

it's a waste of time for brits who speak english and maybe for those immigrants who can take the test straight away, but i'm sure it's not for those who are on the English and citizenship course, by the time they finish the course they will have a better understanding of english
    I think they should scrap the current test and replace it with a test that concentrates more on the person's grasp of the English language both written and spoken. Then couple this with a series of questions based around what is seen as culturally acceptable and culturally unacceptable behaviour in this country.
    Iain.

london well away from those people up norf
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post

The goverment are dammed if they do and dammed if they dont.

The test if you look at it practically means the person has to understand how to read english and have a basic understanding of British ways.

Many of the Questions are a little daft.

But many people who have moved to the UK have no idea there is any thing to the UK apart from the place there live in the route to and from the airport.

I do know of people mainly though their chilldren who have lived in say southall all their life and simply never gone to anywhere outside of a small radius of there home and used Heathrow to go back and forth to the mother country.

Many people who have moved here from abroad if they dont have a western or westernized partner or family members will have no idea of the rules and rights they have. Even know much about the Uk in general.

You cant make everyone go to school for six months it just cant happen. So the life in the Uk test has a point. Nearly all Phills with a decent education from back in phil with a little application to studying the book and practise tests will be fine. A far lot better of than many races/nationalites for example Thais find it hard as they have a different script and many i presume are taught in thai at school not a form of english as most phills are.

If i had my way i would bring in the Ielts exam as it tests on reading, writing, speaking and listening.
    But as the exam cost over 80 quid and needs qualified examiners it would be unfeasiable due to the numbers involved if done once here in the UK

london well away from those people up norf
    Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    I think they should scrap the current test and replace it with a test that concentrates more on the person's grasp of the English language both written and spoken. Then couple this with a series of questions based around what is seen as culturally acceptable and culturally unacceptable behaviour in this country.
    Iain.
    I agree on the do's and dont's side of things

Also without going overboard peoples basic rights.

that Women and Men have the vote aged over 18.

As i remeber there were issues in some areas where postal votes were "borrowed".

I do think we forget some of the people i speak to from various parts of the world. Many are very well educated and have great intelligence and common sense. Others are not so blessed with a great education and could easily once here not learn english and realise what is and isn't allowed here.

I know in many communities where Wifes come from abroad they are not aware of very basic rights we take for granted and if they do need help say with regards domestic abuse or just simply the right to work. How would they find out this infomation if they cant communicate in English.

But the testing of English i feel should be done before coming to the UK as many other countries do.

Quote Originally Posted by yas View Post
    most of the question is about the country your in too.relax and goodluck to ur exam
    thank you yas..

Quote Originally Posted by telford View Post
    Good luck Ann and God Bless
    Thanks for that telford. hows cutee baby now?

Quote Originally Posted by alicat View Post
    just read the book,you can do it..goodluck
    thanks for that alicat.

written and spoken , well why don't the gov make everyone do Ielts, and say you need an average pass mark of 6, its only £100 and its an all day exam and you have to wait more than 2 wks for the result..

KOL test is a simple mutli choice test, if your englsih is good and after a bit of reading you'll pass it, its only £34 ? and you know the result at the end.

if your english is not up to the standard then take the ESOL and citizenship course, which i would have thought most filipina's would'nt need to take.

you have a choice which to do, i'm sure most would rather do the KOL than ielts

and for tier 1,the lectures for your degree must be in english or you must take ielts.

Being nervous is normal bec I felt that too when Im taking the exam but to be honest the exam is really easy specially for Pinoys I guess The thing about the test questionnaires they do it a bit tricky so just be careful. You only need 18 correct answers out 24 Q's (I think I forgot now, sorry). So my advice to you like what I did (they're providing a pencil and paper) I put on the paper how many I am 100% sure correct anwers I have and how many I am not sure atleast you have an idea on your scores and don't be in a hurry you've got 45 minutes to spend there so if you're finish just read it again twice or thrice just to be sure. I reckon even you read it thrice it only takes you the most 20 minutes. Good luck again..yakang-yaka mo yan

Respected Member

uk test

so are you saying that the life in uk test is on paper and does not require computer skills

regards

john

Quote Originally Posted by flomike View Post
    Being nervous is normal bec I felt that too when Im taking the exam but to be honest the exam is really easy specially for Pinoys I guess The thing about the test questionnaires they do it a bit tricky so just be careful. You only need 18 correct answers out 24 Q's (I think I forgot now, sorry). So my advice to you like what I did (they're providing a pencil and paper) I put on the paper how many I am 100% sure correct anwers I have and how many I am not sure atleast you have an idea on your scores and don't be in a hurry you've got 45 minutes to spend there so if you're finish just read it again twice or thrice just to be sure. I reckon even you read it thrice it only takes you the most 20 minutes. Good luck again..yakang-yaka mo yan
    Oh thanks for that info flomike.the lady in the phone when we booked the test told me to study chapters 2-6 in d book You are right you just have to read the question carefully and thoroughly, coz sometimes that my problem even at school b4
    i just hope and pray

Quote Originally Posted by andypaul View Post
    ... I know in many communities where Wifes come from abroad ....
    I'm just wondering what your first language is!

Thanks for that telford. hows cutee baby now?
    Thanks for asking Ann,she's celebrating her 1st birthday last Friday 08 Aug. It was fun, the party is successful and we have lots of visitors..kids and adults. Baby Bea enjoyed her party.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information